Airbag wiring harness clip

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Hi,

Please could someone explain how to disconnect the wiring harness from the airbag on my 99 Mk2 steering wheel - Haynes says to disconnect the yellow plug from the back of the airbag, but it wont come off/out/up easily and I dont want to break it. Is there a trick I'm missing? Trying to solve VAGCom repeating (instantly) resistance too high.

Thanks

Last edited:

Nick Nick

Ibiza Veteran, Leon Virgin
Nov 13, 2005
Southampton
Thanks, you just have to pull it out as I found out. I didn't want to break anything so was reluctant to use too much force.

TBH, I didn't need to take the airbag out - I disconnected the cable under the steering column shroud and stuck a little piece of wire between each contact coming from the airbag controller. Ran VAG-com again and it told me resistance to low (previously showing too high) so I knew the controller was working. I plugged the cable back into the airbag and ran VAG once more and hey presto - no fault found and when closing the controller, no light!! Its been on for 19 months... So it looks like the contacts weren't touching properly in the plug. Possibly sticking a little piece of wire in the controller plug contacts has made them happy to touch the contacts in the airbag side of the plug.

Thanks for the reply, and damn am I pleased that ruddy orange light has gone off.

Nick

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members