Airbox Heater Element?

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
My Audi A3 1.8T has what appear to be a heater element in the airbox.

Two electrical connections go to metal blocks in the top half of the airbox. Does anyone elses car have these??? My Leon Cupra didn't.

I want to ditch the airbox and get a CAI so that i can make lots of whooshy noises. Is it 'safe' to simply leave these connections unplugged if i tape them up good and proper?

EDIT: And as some plank on another forum asked; no, i'm not talking about the MAF! :)

Last edited:

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Something that just occured to me...

My leon had a secondary air pump and hose that connected to the airbox. My A3 doesn't so i'm guessing as mine is an early example VAG ditched this heater idea in favour of the air pump. So maybe no SEAT 1.8T's will have it...

Anyhoo, if anyone electrically minded would know the best way of safely disconnecting this then that would be great. :)

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
Turns out it's a controller for the ignition coils!

What a dumb-ass place to put it.

Wondering if i can relocate it, but as it has a metal base this may be a heat sink to keep it cool... May need to constant airflow from the airbox.

Tallpaul

Jul 2, 2005
YerMother said:
Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness! ;)

i know, pre-season training is getting harder and i've been sat at my desk in a bit of a daze 'cos i'm so knackered today :(

at least throughout the course of my ranting i've answered my own questions :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.