Alhambra adblue warning

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
I had to pay I needed the car. From my discussion with SEAT this afternoon I don't expect to get anything. Which is fair enough if its wear and tear but this is a definite fault across all the ranges that use this system.Anyway fingers crossed.

I asked because the NOX sensor on my 2011 Alhambra was replaced this week, although this was (luckily for me) covered under the Seat approved used warranty as I've had the car only a few months. I had no Adblue issues or warnings, but just had the orange engine warning light on (which came back on a few days after it was reset).

In my mind though you wouldn't ordinarily expect a sensor to fail on a 4 year old car and so I'd have thought that there would be scope for Seat to "help out" with the part/repair cost. Clearly they disagreed when you spoke to them, which is very annoying.

As you say, fingers crossed yours is sorted now though!

Last edited:

Danny12

Nov 30, 2014
I asked because the NOX sensor on my 2011 Alhambra was replaced this week, although this was (luckily for me) covered under the Seat approved used warranty as I've had the car only a few months. I had no Adblue issues or warnings, but just had the orange engine warning light on (which came back on a few days after it was reset).

In my mind though you wouldn't ordinarily expect a sensor to fail on a 4 year old car and so I'd have thought that there would be scope for Seat to "help out" with the part/repair cost. Clearly they disagreed when you spoke to them, which is very annoying.

As you say, fingers crossed yours is sorted now though!

Lucky escape there I think, hopefully you'll have no more issues with it.Though it sounds like it was just about to start playing up.

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
AdBlue. I'm waiting with bated breath (well not quite), 14,500 miles and no light or warnings yet! 10ltr top up bottle waiting in the garage for when it does. 2.0ltr 177 DSG just over a year old.

Definitely tempting fate now...........

Danny12

Nov 30, 2014
AdBlue. I'm waiting with bated breath (well not quite), 14,500 miles and no light or warnings yet! 10ltr top up bottle waiting in the garage for when it does. 2.0ltr 177 DSG just over a year old.

Definitely tempting fate now...........

You could top it up before the light comes on and its gets into the habit.

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
You could top it up before the light comes on and its gets into the habit.

I sort of want to but don't fancy the idea of it not taking all the 10ltrs. It must have enough room by now but if I wait for the warning then I might have a rough idea of consumption. No long trips planned for a while so I shouldn't get caught out either.

If it hasn't come on by 15k I might but then I'm just curious as to when it will come on!

Decisions, decisions.....

Speed-FReek

Jun 12, 2013
South Oxfordshire, UK
It is worth noting that I have read on the RT forum that this particular AdBlue warning issue where the light won't go off after topping up is commonly caused by the NOX sensor getting contaminated / clogged up. You don't necessarily need a new one to fix the problem.

If you are handy with the spanners then a solution that is reported to have a 50/50 chance of solving the problem it so remove the NOX sensor and clean it. For the sake of a few hours work, giving this a try might end up saving you quite a few quid for a new NOX sensor which aren't cheap.

L1K21q.jpg

(image courtesy of Jack@European_Parts)

If this doesn't work then it has also been suggested that it's worth removing the AdBlue injector to clean and de-crystalise it.

There is no guarantee that either (or both) of these will work but I thought I would post up the info as a potential cheap solution to the problem if anyone wants to try it.

With the new Euro6 emission standards, I think we can expect to start seeing the AdBlue system appearing on more and more diesel cars so I don't think the (problematic) AdBlue system will be going away any time soon unfortunately.

Last edited:

lucy_t

Jul 23, 2005
Seat Alhambra 2.0 Tdi Cr Se 140ps auto do you want the engine code as I'll have to find it?

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
Seat Alhambra 2.0 Tdi Cr Se 140ps auto do you want the engine code as I'll have to find it?

Just curious. I've seen reports of lights on at 14k and a mechanic friend of mine reports on one getting to nearly 70k so a bit confusing.

Anyone have an idea on where we can find consumption figures?

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
14,985 miles. "Bing". After a long weekend at 'Peppa Pig World' the adblue warning comes on whilst heading home. "Range 1,500 miles".

Busy few days ahead, not much mileage involved and it's late so I'll get round to topping up with my 10 litres sometime soon. No idea how much is left or what the consumption has been but I'll read the manual and see what I can find out.

Update when I top up!

JackJones

May 12, 2015
AdBlue Fault from new

I think I can beat you guys. I got the Fault: Adblue warning at 299 miles in a brand new Alhambra 2.0 SE Lux. It's telling me that if I don't top up in 650 miles the engine won't be restartable.

Given that this is a brand new car there will definitely be enough Adblue in it.

This looks like exactly the same fault I had with my previous VW Sharan - it's a failed NOX sensor in the exhaust.

It's a lease car and under warranty, but that still doesn't stop me being damn annoyed. This is a known fault with these cars and has been for years, and I would have expected them to have sorted it out by now.

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
Given that this is a brand new car there will definitely be enough Adblue in it.

'Definitely'! How do you know? When it went down the line who's to say it wasn't filled properly or is this a PDI item?

Good luck anyway. Mine still says I have 1,500 miles left and I've done 100 since it came on. Could get it done but no idea how long it will take to top up and I want to do it carefully so still waiting until Saturday (or Sunday :))

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
So I didn't get round to doing my top up until today (Monday).

Put in the ten litres, turned on ignition, warning still came up but I waited the 30 seconds as it says in the book. Warning went, started up, checked all menu's and warnings have gone.

Switched off and started up again. Everything is fine. I would think this should last at least 10,000 miles. When the message comes on again I'll either do the same again but add a 1.8litre bottle as well or if feeling brave use one of the pumps.

Hope that helps, Richard

rodneytrotter

Dec 2, 2014
Thanks for the update Richard - one question, where did you get your Adblue from and how much was it? Ta.

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
Local VW dealer in Dartford. I avoid my local SEAT place like the plague! Long story but I originally got the car in Edinburgh. I live in Essex but still managed to save a fortune and it was well worth the trip.

I actually got the stuff about 3 months ago and I seem to remember it was less than £30 which was for two 5 litre bottles and a special connecting tube kit. I've put the tube in a safe place back in its packet ready for next time.

I seem to remember that 6 of the 1.89litre bottles were about £40. Easier in some ways as you don't need the tube but they do seem a bit bulky. At the time we were heading off to tour France so the 5 litre ones were easier to store on the journey if we needed them, which of course we didn't. Typical!

By the way the bottles were covered in VW, Audi, Skoda and SEAT badges. Instructions on the kit were for the VW Sharan which is basically the same.

Last edited:

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
Any SEAT dealer have a 'its fixed' promotion at the mo. Ad Blue top-up's are £39.00 that's if its bone dry or needs 3-4 litres for instance :)

Cheers,

Joe - Crewe SEAT

Gerico1000

Sep 7, 2014
Any SEAT dealer have a 'its fixed' promotion at the mo. Ad Blue top-up's are £39.00 that's if its bone dry or needs 3-4 litres for instance :)

Cheers,

Joe - Crewe SEAT

Hi Joe,

Yes saw that and on the face of it I think that is a very good deal.

Unfortunately my mileage was creeping up with a long, long trip into Europe planned so I bought the bottles as a safeguard. I could probably get sorted on the continent but wanted piece of mind.

The other thing is that I don't trust my local dealer! In the early days of looking at the VW Sharan I 'stumbled' across the Alhambra. Went to local dealer, Lakeside in Thurrock, Essex.

Test drive was a joke. Salesman told me a load of crap about why the car didn't have a spare wheel etc (A European directive) despite me working for the Dept of Transport and knowing much better. He insisted on test driving my car for trade in, didn't even put a seat belt on, drove like crap and offered me less than half of my previous worst offer!

He told me I wouldn't like my chosen colour (!), insisted I'd need park assist, I most certainly don't and as an incentive to buy offered me free mats (they are part of the SE LUX anyway) a tank of fuel and four free car washes.

When I asked about a cash price he said he might get a bit off but doubted it!

When looking into everything else I asked them about adblue and was quoted £125 for a check and top up!

I had a similar 'disinterested' experience in Bexley/Sidcup. Eventually I sold my car at a higher price than I expected and bought a new DSG 177 SE LUX from Western SEAT in Edinburgh for a very good deal. Yes Edinburgh, 400 miles from home, well done Brian Mcleary, top bloke.

So my preferred 'local' dealer is Westerham, over half an hour away across the Thames. Very happy with them so far, excellent service highly recommended. So in about 10,000miles if I'm not jaunting around Europe I'll probably let them do it. I'd only go to Lakeside as a last resort (or if I hear of a major management/attitude change). If they looked at my car I'd expect them to say it needed a new left falangee......

If I'm ever up in Crewe I'll pop in for a coffee :)

Richard

JoeleonFR

Jan 4, 2014
Crewe
Hi Richard,

Oh dear seems like you've not had the best of luck with your local dealer! The customers needs must always be listened too! What's the point in trying to sell you something you don't want, just p*sses you off!

Always consider Crewe for your next buy we are very competitive!!

All the best
Joe :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise