All 4 brake caliper pistons seized

jasonclarke20

Jun 16, 2017
Hey guys looking for a fix before payday, friend of mine said to get a used spare set from scrap yard make sure they work ok and use those untill payday?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
That sounds like a terrible idea. Quite apart from the fact that you're gambling that the scrap calipers are in better shape than your own, the amount of work involved in changing all four calipers is not something I'd want to do twice. Keeping the hydraulic system sealed so that air doesn't get into the ABS unit is not easy, and VCDS is needed if you do get any air in there.

A more fundamental question is, how have you managed to seize all your brakes at once? Such a hugely unlikely coincidence would have me looking at the hydraulic system very carefully.

If you mean that you have a four-pot caliper on which all four pistons have seized, that is still not very likely and I'd be looking for a common fault - a kinked hose or crushed brake pipe, perhaps?

jasonclarke20

Jun 16, 2017
That sounds like a terrible idea. Quite apart from the fact that you're gambling that the scrap calipers are in better shape than your own, the amount of work involved in changing all four calipers is not something I'd want to do twice. Keeping the hydraulic system sealed so that air doesn't get into the ABS unit is not easy, and VCDS is needed if you do get any air in there.

A more fundamental question is, how have you managed to seize all your brakes at once? Such a hugely unlikely coincidence would have me looking at the hydraulic system very carefully.

If you mean that you have a four-pot caliper on which all four pistons have seized, that is still not very likely and I'd be looking for a common fault - a kinked hose or crushed brake pipe, perhaps?
Well ima be honest rears aound like the worst they not completly seized but take a good 5 to 10 seconds to release after applying the breaks and im now looking into getting a complete new set of calipers within the next day or two however struggling with fitment sizes and best place to buy from seeing as atm im on a lesser budget any help is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Rusty2k

May 12, 2013
Strip your brakes down and find out what's actually wrong with them.

If it's seized guide pins and not calliper pistons then new calipers would be a complete waste of money.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise