Martin_DSG

Apr 26, 2009
Stevenage
Before
SDC10251.jpg

SDC10162.jpg

After
SDC10261.jpg

Im trying to re-create the red line, but i may have to sack it and just do the whole of the 'S' or leave it all black, thoughts?
SDC10262.jpg

This is matt black with no laquer. Adam where did you get your wax from?

Last edited:

Martin_DSG

Apr 26, 2009
Stevenage
whats your thoughts on the centre caps: red 'S'. Red outline of 'S' or all black.
trying to paint the outline is a nightmare.

Martin_DSG

Apr 26, 2009
Stevenage
craig, if you click on the 'thread tools' link at the top right you can subscibe to a thread. only found this out myself a week ago!!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
thanks alot adam, such a great guide :)

well my wheels have been she-ite since i got my car (the previous owner did a crap paint job on the standard mk2 gti 16v wheels) and the lacquers peeling off, is there anything i can use to get it all off? just some abrasive pads with elbow grease? or anything that works better?

EDIT: i done a bit of a google (should have done it earlier durrrr) i found that "nitromors" is best to get lacquer/paint off!
(botching it on with a brush, then leaving, then scraping the nasties off)

might have a bash one the days :)

Last edited:

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Yeah paint stripper would be your best bet to take them to bare alloy, be careful tho its nasty stuff.

You could also get them blasted or dipped but this is more expensive :)

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
yeah i got a quote of £50 a corner for blasting/powercoating, don't wanna spend that much (well anything haha)

yeah i have been reading on it! i will have to cover the tyres with 4-5coats of newspaper as it absolutely wrecks rubber too!

Martin_DSG

Apr 26, 2009
Stevenage
i started off with newspaper on my first wheel, complete pain in the arse. i just used masking tape, from the rim to the far edge of the tyre.

drue1

May 27, 2009
kent
yeah i got a quote of £50 a corner for blasting/powercoating, don't wanna spend that much (well anything haha)

yeah i have been reading on it! i will have to cover the tyres with 4-5coats of newspaper as it absolutely wrecks rubber too!

thats alot of money.im a powdercoater and we dont charge that much.you should be looking £25-£30 per rim

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
thats alot of money.im a powdercoater and we dont charge that much.you should be looking £25-£30 per rim

wish you were in birmingham lol, i will have a crack myself, it can't get worse then it is at the moment lol
then if still crap, get it done properly!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members