Alloy wheel refurb guide

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
2-3 days just to make sure everything is dry.....

:yes: Leave it for as long as possible..... I rushed to get mine fitted and some of the paint wasn't totally hardened. Scuffed osme of the paint on the rim with the tyre fitting machine but its hardly noticeable with the tyres on! Added a little extra paint afterwards to make it all good again.

Leave them in the sun for a few days...

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
Leave them in the sun for a few days...

The sun!! Whats that :happy: Havent seen that since i started doing my wheels!!
I put the last coat of lacquer on monday and I'm going to get the tyres fitted in about an hours time.. hopefully all goes well. I plan on putting some washing up liquid on the edge of the rim where the tyre machine has to go over it..

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
got mine finished and new tyres fitted! great guide adam. thinks a million!!
here is a pic..
24072010053.jpg

rsr

Jul 11, 2005
manchester
Great guide, deciding whether to do mine or leave it as trading car soon hopefully. I suppose it depends on cost to do comapred to how much dealer may knock of if I px.

Sep 4, 2009
How many cans of paint and primer will you need for a set of 4 wheels?

I have a set of fr wheels, but they have been quickly painted in black. I.e. runs on the inside and just not an even finish. Should i sand down and re prime or can i can away with just scotchbrite and paint?

MPJ88,
1 can etch primer
2 cans UPOL powercan primer (grey) I got 3coats all over
2 cans UPOL powercan stain black (the insides of mine are black - easier to keep clean :bleh:) 3 coats again
2 cans green (found after a bit of searching around, not many perfect green rattlecans out there) 4 coats AND touch up
2 cans clear UPOL lacquer, 3 coats all over
and I've invested in some poorboys wheel sealant to keep em looking their best, and make cleaning them easy peasy

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport
Does anybody know where I can get all the bits and pieces to do this in merseyside/lancs? Had a look at Wilco but the nearest one is probably Leeds. Otherwise I will just order off the net from there.

Also any recommendations for a good wheel colour to go with silver, was thinking gunmetal gray /Anthracite

andy17

PD100
May 20, 2009
Southport
Made a start on the wheels today. Managed to clean all 4 took ages so many tar spots. And also sorted out the lip on the one picture below... pretty much the whole lip was badly curbed.

dscf0266h.jpg

dscf0268c.jpg

After the best part of the afternoon

dscf0276l.jpg

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise