Alonso to McLaren!!!!!!

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
Hot on the heels of Vodafone becoming title sponsor for McLaren Mercedes (top teamJ ) for 2007, DriversWorld Champion, Fernando Alonso has signed for McLaren for 2007!

Where that leaves Kimi and Montoya (whoose contracts both end at the end of 06), who knows, although there has been specualtion of Kimi going to Ferrari. Michael Schumacher’s contract also ends at the end of 2006.

Interesting thing is, why would Alonso move? Maybe he and his manager know something about Renault for 2007…. His manager, just happens to be Flavio Britaorie, boss of the Renault F1 team. Lots of rumours flying around that Renault will leave at the end of 06, of haven’t confirmed past the end of 2006.

David Richards Prodrive organisation also wants to get into F1, and Richards was boss of the Renault team (when it was called Benetton) for a short period…..Despite winning the championship, the head of Renault-Nissan has always had doubts to the effectiveness of F1 and marketing. Naturally rumours are already flying around that Prodrive will buy the team (which is close to Prodrive)

So, the 2007 Silly season has started very early J

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
The Micheline advantage with Renault is a bit of a myth really. They used their tyres very well, but (and I do know this from knowing people at McLaren and Renault) its the chassis which is the key. in 2004, you may have noticed that the team were really good in hot races, but not in milder climates. They had the cooling absolutely sorted which made for smaller side pods and thus a lower drag co-efficient. (this was mainly because of the slatted rear end)

2005 car built on this and is a fantastic chassis. most of the time Alonso had plenty in reserve and certainly from tv, the car seemed very well sorted and turned in well had great traction and of course very reliable (which is where they really won the championship).

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Wasted no time photochoping his helmet Andy!

I was very surprised to hear this news at first but, it would seem that Renualts future is uncertain, and Flavio Briatore is no chump with things like these.

Its my opinion that they'll line up him alongside Raikkonen, Montoya despite his 'injury' did'nt shine most of us hoped.

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
I'd like the line up to be that, because that would be a dream team, but I have a feeling this announcement has come because Kimi has now made a commitment to the Scuderia.

Don't forget. Kimi, JPM, Schuey and Masa's contracts are all up at the end of 06. Plus Lewis Hamilton and Rossi want to play with F1 cars as well.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Did'nt think it was that much!, Wili Weber only gets 20%?

Is Lewis Hamilton under a Mercedes or Mclaren long term agreement like Nick Heidfeld was on? can see him being farmed out to another f1 team.

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
kimi to ferrari 2007

kovaleinen into renault

alonso & ? for mclaren, maybe JB???

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
For 07. If Kimi does go to Ferrari (and I hope he doesnt :)) then I wouldnt be surprised to see Paffat or Hamilton at McLaren.

I can never see jenson going to McLaren ;) Jenson really has to deliver this year. 100GP's without a win. People under-estimate how good Rubens really is (I think!) this year will be critical for Jens and Rubens.

NH was on a Mercedes deal (as is Paffatt) while Lewis is on a McLaren deal. Lewis was signed before I left, so thats almost 7 years investment + and its dominated in every series (bar first year in F3, although put that right in the second). Add to that he's joined the crack GP2 (can't remember there name, but its the team Nico Rosberg won the series in) and Lewis could be ready in 07. Ron and Martin Whitmarsh pretty much have the final say in Lewis and where he goes (even if his dad thinks he is god - think Rob Huff's Dad, then x10 :D)

But, using my head rather than my heart, I expect Lewis would be farmed out for a while to get the F1 racecraft (like they did with Nick and like Ferrari did with Massa).

So, if you asked me who would be where then....

McLaren - Alonso and Kimi or JPM
Renault (if they are there) - Webber and Kovalainen (dont forget who webber is managed by) or maybe Bourdais
Ferrari - Kimi (if he goes) and Rossi or Massa

+
McLaren 'B- Alesi' (if it happens) - Paffett and Hamilton

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
something I've just thought of. Ron paid a fortune to get Kimi out of the Sauber contract, so I'd be surprised if he allows Kimi to slip away easily seeing as he hasn't quite delivered the championship yet.

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Mclaren B team is a load of hot air if you ask me, its the ART GP2 team you're thinking of.

RD wont let go of Raikkonen without a fight, I suspect they signed JPM 'just' to get rid of DC in the great scheme of things.

andyb

Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
F2 Stu said:
Mclaren B team is a load of hot air if you ask me, its the ART GP2 team you're thinking of.

RD wont let go of Raikkonen without a fight, I suspect they signed JPM 'just' to get rid of DC in the great scheme of things.

McLaren B team - well I can't say anything ;) it will get me in trouble, dont forget where I use to work many moons ago ;)

ART yeap, thats the team.

Interesting, Flavio release a statement on his own personal letterhead saying he wasn't involved and it had nothing to do with him,,,no clarification that his management of Alonso runs out at the end of 2006, but thats the rumour.

I stand corrected about Flavs cut. Apparently its 20%

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Lol, know something we dont? :D dont understand why 'Team Dubia' has'nt come to fruition, they seem to be constantly dragging their heels.

I cerntainly hope to enjoy Jo Ramirez's book this christmas ;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.