Altea 1.6 petrol - Service spanner reset !

bazk666

This is drivi n me nuts... 1st I searched this wonderful forum, found "Member-klawits" how to, but all I am getting is when pressing the reset millege button for around 20 - 30 secs, turn either to the left or right is the settings for the digital clock ? The only thing I can think of is turn to the left & set the hr clock to 00 & the minutes to 00 also, then turn off. Is this the way to reset the cervice interval (spanner)........... if not can someone point me in the right direction for this altea 1.6 5 door, petrol 2007.......... p.s I have only (just over) 12500 on the clock...

After an afternoon searching all over the .net for answers, I've just found this straight foward how to on Yahoo Answers:-

Switch ignition OFF
Press and hold button A (underneath rev counter)
Switch ignition ON
Release button A
A spanner symbol will be displayed
Turn button A clockwise
Switch ignition OFF

Works 100% :funk:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
It's not supposed to be 20/30 seconds, it's 2 to 3 seconds,until the reset shows zero,turn ignition off. Next time turning on spanner is gone.

You were holding the reset for too long.

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Switch ignition OFF
Press and hold button A (underneath rev counter)
Switch ignition ON
Release button A
A spanner symbol will be displayed
Turn button A clockwise
Switch ignition OFF
hmmm .... sounds to me quite the same as in my linked post from back in 2007:
It's without guarantee ... and I haven't seen anyone confirming the procedure, but the one who posted was known as pretty reliable, so whoever wants to give it a try, here you go:

- press the mileage reset button and hold it while turning ignition on
- then turn left/right (for days remaining/spammer) and hold the button for ~ 2 seconds until reset to 0 is indicated
- turn ignition off
next time igniting the service indicator should be gone.
"...while turning ignition on" implies that it had to be off before starting with the procedure ...
maybe there's the mistake?

only thing I want to know:
is this procedure still catching with newer resp. facelift models?
As SEAT - afaik - locked the shortcut to climate control diagnostics (reset cc clicking) with modelyear 2007, I wouldn't be surprised, if the alternate service reset method was disabled or changed with later models as well.

Maybe some more owner's confirmations will reveal the feasibility.

greets ... Klaus

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
Hello Klaus, your system works for me on my 05 Altea, it also worked for a friend on his 08 Leon.

Many thanks for your excellent knowledge and tips.

Sus

Well thanks for this information I have just went out and reset mine and I have the FR on a 57 plate, really helpful :)

bazk666

Hi Klawit. sorry been away for a while, yes your right, but I needed guiding like a child lol cheers

clutha

Extreme gratitude for instructions.

The owners manual is driving me nuts:cry:

skoolz

Hi guys, I have just done a full service on my Seat Altea 1.9 07 and wanted to know the following first: if I reset it using your settings above, does it reset to the 10 000 mile service interval setting or the oil density sensor setting? I believe these cars can be programmed to either one of these settings...

Cheers guys..

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The dashboard method of resetting will revert the car to 10k miles - 1 year service regime. Depending on the ECU your car may not be able to use the longlife setting. Seat didn't use this as standard.