Altea 2.0 TDi Sport market

geoffk

To be honest the cars only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it,

That is why I use www.webuyanycar.com They give you a price that they will pay you for your car. (It will be low!). I then get a price from for the car I am interested in buying. The difference is the basic "real difference in value". Add on the dealer mark-up (and, to be fair, they need to make some money out it - they are not a charity) and that should be the "cost to change". I work on the dealer wanting £1,500 out of the deal.
When looking for my Altea I looked at other cars too. One dealer wanted £3,500 mark up for a 4 year old V40. A Seat dealer wanted a £1,600 mark-up - but eventually I got one for a mark-up of around £500.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Just bought my first SEAT, an Altea Sport 2.0 Tdi DSG, I needed an auto due to 'medical problems' but didn't want some slow, dull Blue Rinse thing.

This car fitted the bill perfectly, an 05 plate, 20k miles, one private owner, FSH, metallic black, mint condition and with four brand new tyres (it had been on some Motability scheme). It came from the local Toyota dealer who had it up for weeks at 13k and reduced it to 11.5k when I then snapped it up.

Saw all the paperwork and the guy had traded it in for £11250 so they made little on it. Having looked at VW Golfs and A3's of the same year spec etc the SEAT was a very good price and depreciates gently compared to Fords, Vauxhall etc.

The car is a revelation to drive, the DSG is superb, in gear acceleration is excellent and I'm getting 45mpg. Suspension is firm but not hard, body rolls a bit but its not too bad when you consider the Altea is taller than normal.

The only drawback is that slight pause when you want a quick start away from a junction.

I'm considering a remap, spoke to the local Revo guy who do a map for DSG but warned there is a rumour the gearbox might not take torque above 270.

Custom code seem cheaper then Revo but this gearbox thing is a concern, anyone out there had it done, how does it feel, cost etc.

I'm only using BP Ultimate, is this Millers stufff worth it and finally there seems to be two hp specs for this car 138 and 140, which is it ?

Thanks

Oh yes one last thing, what is Euro 4 and is my car it ?

with reference to your power query, your car (and all VW group 2.0tdi "std power" engines) are 140ps, to quote from VW's website:
*Please note: The maximum power output figures are quoted in PS (or Pferdestärken), which is the metric equivalent of horsepower. To convert from metric to imperial horsepower, divide the PS figure by 1.0139.
So they are 140PS or 138BHP whichever way you want to quote it.

I may start telling people my car's got 140 Pferdestärken's, or 140 PumpenSquirtens :rock: :D

Euro 4 see link http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_uk/STAGING/local_assets/other_graphics/products/Euro_4_Loose_insert.pdf a tad boring sorry.

mjr600

Apr 19, 2007
Thanks for the replies, there seems to be a few Altea Sport diesel owners registered on here, they seem quite rare so its useful to be able to bounce questions about.

JaceyBoy, the price seems fair, as my earlier post I paid 11.5k for the same model but with 20k miles and the DSG gearbox. Having scoured Autotrader daily for the previous month I was happy I had paid a good price.

Does your potential Altea have a full years SEAT warranty remaining ?

mjr600

Apr 19, 2007
Well if its a nice one I'd go for it. One of the things that set me down the route of this SEAT was comparing it against vehicles from VAG built on the same platform and using the same engine.

If you want examples of the VFM an Altea 2.0tdi offers search Autotrader for A3's, you will be unlikely to find a similar age, spec, engine and mileage A3 for much less than £14500.

Similar story with the Golf and imo both VW and Audi are a little grey and bland compared to SEAT or even SKoda for that matter.

geoffk

Jaceyboy
Go to www.webuyanycar.com and put in the reg no and details. That will tell you how much a dealer will give you for it if you needed to sell it to them quickly. Add £1,500 which is what a dealer would want as a mark up. If the price you are offered is less than that it is a good deal. If it is more than that you need to negotiate.
Geoff

mjr600

Apr 19, 2007
That website is a load of tosh, it is linked to one of the large car supermarkets with a repuatation for overpriced cars and poor customer service. Stick with valuations from Parkers and What Car, at 11k I suspect it won't be around long.

Brent Cross Seat have a red 06 55 plate with 5k miles for 11.5k, I guess you're after the one at Mertonpark.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
From personal experience, i'd use things like Parkers, What Car or even the 'Black Book' as a guide only, it's what happens at the time of buying the car that is the price you get, not something in a book/website. Also, if you're trading in, it's the difference you end up paying that's the key, not that the dealer gave you 'this' amount for your (and his is overpriced), or that his car is 'cheap' but he gives you nothing for yours, it's what you end up handing over that's important. At the end of the day they want as much money out of the deal as possible and will use psychology to make you think you've got a good deal, which to be fair you can sometimes get, though i don't know many 'poor' car dealers, i'm sure they all do quite well for themselves.

geoffk

mjr600 - why do you think it is a load of tosh? Have you had a bad experience?
I agree the cars they have for sale are overpriced but the price they offer is the price they will pay. Parkers and the like is only theory.
They offered me £3,750 for my PT Cruiser as a straight deal - or £4,250 if I bought one of their (overpriced) cars. I had been offered anything between £3,000 and £4,200 in part exchange from other dealers.
I didn't do the deal there as it happens.
As PhilofCas said the only figure that matters is the cost to change - and TradeSales of Slough did me easily the best deal - over £1,500 better than a franchised dealer.
G

psjb

Hi all, just got mine, a silver 06 with 4k on it 2.0 tdi sport, paid £11999, now to find those 18" BBS.
BTW sold my TT for this and am well pleased, done a 100 miles and the fuel gauge has only just moved, wow!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.