Altea 2.0TFSI with DSG - HELP!

King of comedy

Feb 6, 2010
My Altea has 80k miles and serviced in accordance with Seat including DSG oil change at 40k.
Problem is thta it has developed an horrendous rattle and grind manifesting itself through the whole structure of the car even when idling in neutral.
It started when reversing up a steep drive and there was a sudden bang.
I drove the car home very slowly for 3 miles and whilst the gears appeared to change normally there were continuous strange rattles and whines together with a rough and harsh vibration through the car.
My mechanic is yet to trailer it away and diagnose the fault(s) but my feeling is that the dmf may be breaking up.
Any thoughts or help from anybody would be greatly appreciated!
This is the second VAG car with a DSG gearbox I have had that has failed!

robint

Apr 12, 2006
UK, Essex
Most of the TFSi cars with DSG/Tiptronic boxes seem to run into issues at around 80K miles. Usually though it is the mechatronic changing issue - yours sounds (literally!!) rather different and even more expensive - hope it isn't!

Mao

Apr 27, 2010
Birmingham
Hey. I also have a TFSI dsg altea. Just had my flywheen replaced at 58000. I diidn't have the same probs as yours but after alot of research prior to my replacement it sounds like it may be worth checking the flywheel. Apparently there are prone to failure on the TFSI.

How was it driving prior to the problems. Any surging in reverse or banking into first gear?

Not sure it sounds like a mechatronics failure a to me as these seem to go in earlier millage cars if they are going to fail. What year is yours?

King of comedy

Feb 6, 2010
I had exactly the same in my 2.0 TFSI with DSG in very similar circumstances.
Check the engine mount on the gearbox side.
Mine had sheared off the em bolts ( soon after it had a cam belt change!).
The garage who did the cam belt took it away and repaired it foc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.