Altea Advert on TV

_Steve

Jul 21, 2004
Has anyone caught the new Altea advert with John McEnroe driving (and parking) a bright red altea with 17" alloys, and then having an argument about the car being "on the line" with a traffic warden ? :)

Made me laugh - an old and corny subject to drag out of the archives (John mac and his "you cannot be serious" line) but it was good to see the advert on TV.

Wonder how they are going to market the Altea when the Leon has its publicity push ? - its going to be difficult for an average person to tell the two cars apart on a 15 second commercial !

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Been meaning to stick it on SCn, but not had time with work etc.

http://media.seat.com/en/view_object.html?obj=1200,1565,c,13104

This bit is interesting.

"Meanwhile, John McEnroe enthused about driving the Spanish brand’s cars during his stays in Europe this year, beginning early August, when he will be playing a Seniors tennis tournament in Algarve, Portugal. There he is certain to drive a unique prototype of the Altea, fitted with a 200 hp TFSi engine and four-wheel drive transmission."

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Considering the majority of the press are getting their first full look at the Leon this week, and unreserved freedom to review it, thats not surprising, everything so far is based mainly on second hand information and press releases.

Link me to one of the not so positive reviews, i'd like a read, top see what their points are, so i can take them into consideration when i test drive it.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
In that article he's effectively just not liking the car cause its not fast enough for him, Mark Hales not surprising the guy hoons round race tracks most of the time. I honestly think that review is poor as its just comparing the new leon (base flavours) with Cupra's, well they will always be slower than the Cupra's at this stage, these are your Heinz variety models, not the high end Sport models, comapring them with the Cupra is just wrong and in my opinion bad journalism, i don't beleive he's thought about what he is testing.

Its the same car as the Altea and Toledo, abait in differing looks and some new additions, but underneath its an Audi A3, Golf 5 just like the rest of VAG's offerings. The majority of those observations could be slapped onto the Altea too.

And comparing an A3 to an S3 and a normal Skoda Octavia to a vRS.

My critisism of the car would be its similarity, to the other cars in the companies brands, the Altea, Leon, Toledo have tried to fill lots of gaps in the market, but have overlapped to much, and could likely confuse buyers. Im still not in agreement with this MPV thing, but again that could be in fault to the model overlaps again.

The car next to an Altea is far more squat, and lower looking, the roofline falls away far more than the present Leon, giving a coupesque appearance from some angles, its no bigger or ungainly than any other car in its segment.

Id agree with the Top Gear review that if the Leon had come first in the new models line up, the confusion may of been lessened, but I would say most people here would look to the as yet unreleased performance models anyway.

Im personally looking for something with some performance, high comfort, and most importantly to me now, better running costs, the R is a great car, but it eats my money, not that i can't afford it, but i consider what i spend on it and feel i could be saving a packet in running costs in more modern car, but time will tell, test drives a plenty, im not one to jump in head first.

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
....Its the same car as the Altea and Toledo, abait in differing looks and some new additions, but underneath its an Audi A3, Golf 5 just like the rest of VAG's offerings. The majority of those observations could be slapped onto the Altea too....

Yes I said that at the time, since that is what I noted that the Telegraph and Diesel Car [the first review] were positive about the Altea but negative about the New Leon. It annoys that nobody is really got an Altea on long term test except Top Gear.

Thanks for the details, I can afford the higher running cost of the 2.0 TDI over my 1.9 TD ZX;). About 5 MPG less. I went for the Altea since being tall and feeling mature, but not that much mature sitting squat in a car causes me backache and in the Altea the upright, high position cuases me nowt. Will be interesting whether the New Leon sits any better. I don't think so, my days of sitting down with my knees up are over since I like the office chair position not the low sofa. With the Altea you just leap out of it after a long drive with no pain standing up right immediately, ditto the partner, so yeah, the mature man's car but better not say that too loud since I think a number here aren't as so mature;).

I must say I do enjoy seeing Leon owners in their boy racer cars, big wheels and stuff, the Spanish Alfas to Italians to have those dust races in around large car parks between cappachinos. The mind is wandering;). I hope you get what you want in the Leon but other than that the barbeque at the dealers launch might be OK.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Having seen the Leon close up on a few occasions, looking at the seating position, id say its on a par with the Altea and Toledo in terms of space, likely a little less headroom, but more than the car it replaces, the doors are larger, enabling easier entry and exit. It has the illusion of being a squater car, but there is more room inside.

The seats in the sport model are similar to the Altea's, even down to the same material upholstery, they look far superior to my current Leon R, in terms of supportiveness, and in my opinion look better than the Recaro option on Leon R's.

Mature is a state of mind not an age thing. how old do you feel :)

Tell

Staff member
...Mature is a state of mind not an age thing. how old do you feel...

I actual feel 21 in the mind, but then I use to get terrible backache then, so no don't feel old but comfie seats is a criteria and I've got that in the Altea now. I will try out a Leon, I'm sort of pointing the partner in that direction as they moan about their car and say about all the power and the comfort that I got in mine.

So yes will be interested to see the New Leon and indeed the seats;).

ladydriver

I saw some of the ad earlier tonight but I didn't clock it was for Altea! I switch my mind off at ads...

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
anyone seen the new one for the altea XL?
all the kiddies toys and stuff aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

duncerduncs

Nov 17, 2006
Reading
anyone seen the new one for the altea XL?
all the kiddies toys and stuff aaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

If you go to seat.com, you can get the full version of it! I think it's fair to say that SEAT are marketing the XL for families. The misses wants one to replace my Leon :cry:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.