Altea FR Newbie

FR Tim

Hi, I'm new to this site but not to car forums, I find they are a great source of information (as this one is just having taken a look around). I bought, two weeks back, an 06 Altea FR (family just increased in size so needed something more friendly).

Past cars include a celica 190 tsport (still a member of the great www.celica-club.co.uk) and a modified Supra TT which had circa 400bhp, unfortunately these got sold off due to family growing (damn kids :lol:).

Loving the Altea though, just had a quote from Revo on a chip upgrade, anyone done this? Is it any good? Worth £500 of my money to do?

Also I wouldn't mind upgrading the brakes, not a big brake kit but just something to give it a little more stopping power (better disks, pads or even braided lines), anyone got any good recommendations?

Anyway, I am sure you will hear a lot more from me in the coming months (uh oh :ban:??), it's good to be on board :D

tuftylfc

Welcome mate, newish member to the forum myself

My first SEAT, Altea 1.9tdi Stylance and very pleased with the car except that I haven't yet found a comfortable driving position

Its having parking sensors put on later today and I'm getting it remapped next week at Pendle Performance for £225 ( from 105 to 140 bhp which is enough for me these days )

:think: perhaps should have waited until I sorted out the driving position :D

FR Tim

Welcome mate, newish member to the forum myself

My first SEAT, Altea 1.9tdi Stylance and very pleased with the car except that I haven't yet found a comfortable driving position

Its having parking sensors put on later today and I'm getting it remapped next week at Pendle Performance for £225 ( from 105 to 140 bhp which is enough for me these days )

:think: perhaps should have waited until I sorted out the driving position :D

I know what you mean about the driving position, I test drove the 100bhp, 140bhp and then only settled on the FR because the bucket seats were a damn site more comfortable to sit in (well, that's the excuse I used with the missus, the 170bhp had nothing to do with it..... honestly :))

I have (through this forum) nearly solved one of my biggest annoyances with the car though, the arm rest (or lack of), I didn't realise you could buy an extra height one so I am chuffed I can get that issue sorted for £90 odd.

Good luck with the remap, maybe I should have a word about remapping the FR :)

MIKIM

How much are the parking sensors out of interest... is this an official Seat job, or something else?

I too am thinking of a brake upgrade. The car is plenty quick enough for me these days, but after the LCR brakes this Altea FR feels a bit soft! The brakes still need bedding in, but still not the same stopping power that I'm used to:rolleyes:

MIKIM

I have (through this forum) nearly solved one of my biggest annoyances with the car though, the arm rest (or lack of), I didn't realise you could buy an extra height one so I am chuffed I can get that issue sorted for £90 odd.

Where do you get the arm rest from? Only 10 minutes ago was I thinking that it needed to be higher:)

I went for the 170 too... good choice. :D

FR Tim

Details of armrest:

Part no#: 5P0061000
Black Leather Centre Arm Rest

5P0061000.jpg

Found on seat webpage:

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/SEAT/site/Service/original-accessories/main.html

Hope that help, looks good too :D

FR Tim

How much are the parking sensors out of interest... is this an official Seat job, or something else?

I too am thinking of a brake upgrade. The car is plenty quick enough for me these days, but after the LCR brakes this Altea FR feels a bit soft! The brakes still need bedding in, but still not the same stopping power that I'm used to:rolleyes:

Re the brakes I was thinking of the following:

http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=USR1201&cat=18725

Sure someone will be along to say whether they are worth the money, still researching pads at the moment ;)

ebcultimaxdiscs_1.jpg

tuftylfc

:

My local SEAT garage (Hobins of Preston) have done it for me for £220

Also got the sunglasses holder which replaces the driver grab handle, only cost £15 !!

Now going to have to sort an armrest :rolleyes:

tuftylfc

I know what you mean about the driving position, I test drove the 100bhp, 140bhp and then only settled on the FR because the bucket seats were a damn site more comfortable to sit in (well, that's the excuse I used with the missus, the 170bhp had nothing to do with it..... honestly :))

Good luck with the remap, maybe I should have a word about remapping the FR :)

I very nearly went the same way but was determined to get my first sensible car for several years so managed to fight off the temptation

( not told/telling the Mrs about the remap )

:whistle:

MIKIM

Cheers for the replies all.

I like the look of the brakes pricing... might have to set that off first.

It says that the parking sensors are not available for the FR versions?? Not sure if this is true... maybe the wiring loom is different or something?

tuftylfc

got my car back with parking sensors fitted and much to wifes disgust tested them when I arrived home by backing right up to her beloved motor :D
luckily for me they were working properly

bit dissapointed with the 'beep' sound, you can tell its an after fit, sounds a bit like the beep coming through a walkie talkie and from the back of the car rather than the dash

cost £220 fitted ( Parts 150 / labour £70 )

FR Tim

Cheers for the replies all.

I like the look of the brakes pricing... might have to set that off first.

Me too, no point just doing the discs though, pads are a definate purchase and also the braided lines, to be fair the braided lines should give the car the most reponse during braking.

I think I may put together the list this weekend and fit them next weekend, I'll report back on how they fair.... the remap has to be next (already ordered the armrest, well I think I have, the seat garage was a bit clueless even though I gave them a part number) :blink:

Starting to really love this car, anyone know if the headunit can be ripped out and a double din fitted? I fancy buying some extra headrests and trying to install some dual lilliput screens in them for the kids and running it off a decent headunit. I have to say I don't like the LCD look aircon and stereo screens, feels a bit retro 80's :D

I can see my bank balance being hit with all these ideas :cry:

L7 KVV

mALTEAser
Aug 27, 2007
I too went for the Fr, mainly because its the top model. And I dont like feeling like Ive settled for the next best thing (wierd compulsion). Its also my first Seat, but second VAG car.

Hopefully getting mine rolling roaded on satuarday to see what she is pushing out before I modify.

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
Nice choice.
I have an 07 remapped Ibiza TDi FR putting out about 170bhp and my wife has
an 06 Altea Ref Sport TDi.
In some respects I actually prefer taking the Altea round the country bends as
the chassis is much more sorted than that of the Ibiza as standard.

MIKIM

Yea, I find the handling to be pretty good as standard. Comparable to the LCR in fact. But then I never found the LCR to be 'all that'! It was all too easy to get under steer (unwanted), and even easer to flick in a bit of over to compensate. This made for fun driving, but it didn't even get close to a number of other similar cars driven.

The new Altea is obviously a few years on in the development technology stakes... so I guess it is going to feel pretty good. It feels stable for a tall(ish) car, and although I haven't tested the limits yet, I think it will fair quite well:)

I too am not a huge fan of the dash... the fake carbon look is a bit rubbish, and the aircon & stereo are also a bit naff. But that's what you get for buying a Seat rather than a similarly specked Audi at 10k more.
I'd much rather save the money thanks :D

I do like the seats and funky boot arrangement... finally somewhere for the umbrella!! :help: Oh no... I'm really getting old... starting to sound like my parents :headhurt: Only a few years ago I would have been thinking about the size of Sub I could fit in the boot... DOH!!!

aceman

May 6, 2002
West Yorkshire
Visit site
Regarding the brakes, I know on the 140pd sport the brakes are 288mm diameter discs and all that is needed to upgrade them to the same as the MkV Golf GTI 312mm rotors is new discs obviously, pads and carriers. The calipers are the same as the GTI or the Passat for that matter so for a much better brake upgrade I would go for this option presuming of course the FR has 288mm rotors as well.

L7 KVV

mALTEAser
Aug 27, 2007
Regarding the brakes, I know on the 140pd sport the brakes are 288mm diameter discs and all that is needed to upgrade them to the same as the MkV Golf GTI 312mm rotors is new discs obviously, pads and carriers. The calipers are the same as the GTI or the Passat for that matter so for a much better brake upgrade I would go for this option presuming of course the FR has 288mm rotors as well.

The fr brakes are 312mm discs standard. I found out tonight how rubish they are, when I near hit a bus. Hadnt considered upgrading them but now Im definately interested.

FR Tim

The fr brakes are 312mm discs standard. I found out tonight how rubish they are, when I near hit a bus. Hadnt considered upgrading them but now Im definately interested.

That's strange, the various sites have them listed as 288.... can someone confirm either which way? bit confused now as I was going to order them today :think:

Re the Rempay, spoke to a site sponsor today (JK or something) and they didn't know revo had released the new map for the FR, they said they would check it for me, I am actually very interested!!!!!! Does anyone know if the same rules apply to the FR clutch as they do to the 140, I believe 300 LB FT is the limit on 140's, is this the same for FR's?

Really don't want to buy a new clutch right now so if they are delicate I may need to leave the remap alone for a while :(

L7 KVV

mALTEAser
Aug 27, 2007
That's strange, the various sites have them listed as 288.... can someone confirm either which way? bit confused now as I was going to order them today :think:

Re the Rempay, spoke to a site sponsor today (JK or something) and they didn't know revo had released the new map for the FR, they said they would check it for me, I am actually very interested!!!!!! Does anyone know if the same rules apply to the FR clutch as they do to the 140, I believe 300 LB FT is the limit on 140's, is this the same for FR's?

Really don't want to buy a new clutch right now so if they are delicate I may need to leave the remap alone for a while :(

I'm using the altea brochure as a mouse mat. And its defo 312x25 front, and 286x12 at rear.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.