Altea FR review

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
The concept I think......

I'm not even sure 4car drove it to be honest - all the info seems to have come from a press pack.

Tell

Staff member
& that is on the net....

Nothing wrong with the Altea as it is :).

The issue is that some of these mags don't rate the Altea for some strange reason. Basically I think it's just price. If it was cheaper it would not be so rare and you'd see loads like the Picasso. Just a thought.

loadswine

loadswine
I think the testers both had a problem with the conept of anyone wanting a roomy family car that might just be interesting to drive.
I think the 4car reviewer just wanted to be driving a Ford ASBO (Focus ST).
The idea put forward by these folks is basically get a Zafira if you want some space or Focus ST if you want some hot hatch fun.
Sorry, but I need the space and won't put up with the boring options that other manufacturers offer.

Grey Fox

Sep 6, 2001
Gloucester
I agree with loadswine and ALT54. These reviewers seem to forget people with a soul (Zafira; good car car but not excactly thrill-a-minute) and people who don't want all out 'look at me' (Ford Asbo; good car again - if you believe all the press/Clarkson - but has it's stereo types).

Those reviews had no real negatives, I wouldn't be put off by them. The only thing that SEAT seem to have lost a bit lately is their value for money angle and I think that the reviewers may have a point about the price, 18000 quids is quite a bit - what is the Cupra version gonna be :-o .

My cupra isn't top of the critics list, but I buy SEATs because they are not Fords or Vauxhalls and have a mind of my own with my own tastes and won't be persuaded by 'band-wagon' press.

If I was driving down a road my Altea FR I'd be more proud (and so would my mum) than driving down the road in a Zafira I can tell you.

I say if you like it then buy it.

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
Grey Fox said:
I agree with loadswine and ALT54. These reviewers seem to forget people with a soul (Zafira; good car car but not excactly thrill-a-minute) and people who don't want all out 'look at me' (Ford Asbo; good car again - if you believe all the press/Clarkson - but has it's stereo types).

Those reviews had no real negatives, I wouldn't be put off by them. The only thing that SEAT seem to have lost a bit lately is their value for money angle and I think that the reviewers may have a point about the price, 18000 quids is quite a bit - what is the Cupra version gonna be :-o .

My cupra isn't top of the critics list, but I buy SEATs because they are not Fords or Vauxhalls and have a mind of my own with my own tastes and won't be persuaded by 'band-wagon' press.

If I was driving down a road my Altea FR I'd be more proud (and so would my mum) than driving down the road in a Zafira I can tell you.

I say if you like it then buy it.

Even having opened a can of worms about these reviews i just bought an altea 1.9tdi ref sport for my wife and i love it even though it is slow in comparison to mine (obviously different type of car).

Must say it is a lovely car

loadswine

loadswine
I've said it before, it all depends on the job the car's supposed to do. I think that's what goes missing from some reviews.
I wholeheartedly agree about the value for money thing being absent from Seat these days and that's probably the essence of disquiet when we see comments from original Leon owners re the new models. Thing is , the previous Leon was better and cheaper than the Golf mk4. Feeling is not repeated with the new model, I guess.
On a different note, I wonder how many people would feel comfortable putting their little ones in the rearmost seats of a Zafira? Have you seen how close to the tailgate they are? A rear end event does not bear thinking about. :confused:

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
loadswine said:
I've said it before, it all depends on the job the car's supposed to do. I think that's what goes missing from some reviews.
I wholeheartedly agree about the value for money thing being absent from Seat these days and that's probably the essence of disquiet when we see comments from original Leon owners re the new models. Thing is , the previous Leon was better and cheaper than the Golf mk4. Feeling is not repeated with the new model, I guess.
On a different note, I wonder how many people would feel comfortable putting their little ones in the rearmost seats of a Zafira? Have you seen how close to the tailgate they are? A rear end event does not bear thinking about. :confused:

I thought the review of the Altea FR was fair enough and the negatives are minor points really. Same kind of negatives the motoring press are saying about the Zafira VXR - main thing is the new engine sounds like a gem....if you are a 'dieselhead'!. The Altea is certainly the best looking and probably the best to drive of all the MPV's out there.

It was driving an Altea in Spain on holiday that persuaded me to really consider a SEAT and take the plunge with the new Leon. I'm glad I did because it's excellent to drive. I have no doubt that the new Leon FR with this big oilburner shoehorned into the engine bay will be much keener and more agile than the Altea equivalent - having said that an Altea FR will certainly embarass a few boy racers and BMW rep mobiles along the way.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I see EVO review the car this month and they rated it 3*, negative comments ranged from view obstructed by A-pillars (nothingnew there), quality of internal plastics (again nothing new) and yet again the question about who will buy a performance diesel MPV.

On the plus side they liked the damping/ride, seats, price, kit and Driver Steering Recommendation (works with ESP to apply opposite lock when oversteering :confused: )

They also found the diesel engine frustrating and noisy etc but very powerful.

the cat

Like a dog with a bone.
Jul 20, 2004
Geordie Land
Aye

You'd think Yoda wrote that article in Autocar:-

"...exit a corner in second, the steering's eye turned blind, is." And other such drivel.

Lem

I'm buying one!

AutoExpress seems to rate it - it is a niche car. However...

I'll be losing my company megane soon as I'm changing jobs. My and the missus have been looking at a number of cars that;

Are fun
Do reasonable mileage
Can get all our climbing/walking/kiteboarding gear in, and lug it across uk/europe.
Space/attachments for dog, possible baby (eek), boat.

We've driven the Volvo V50 (solid, but dull), Audi A3 Sportback (expensive and pointless seats), Skoda Octavia (had a thirsty vRS before, vRS Tdi not till Sept), and the new Honda Civic and the Seat Altea.

The Civic we really liked - It had clever folding seats and looked fab. Unfortunately it didn't drive anywhere near as nicely as the Altea. The Altea had more room, and we both really enjoyed driving it - Seemed a nice place to be on long journeys.

Was looking at a 2.0TDi Sport, but have decided to wait for the FR. :D

Tell

Staff member
I've taken mine twice Germany and once to Austria and it's perfectly well behaved. The air con worked lovely when it was 32'C outside and you can get 20 bottles of wine under the driver and passenger seats :). So I can recommend for long trips were the seats are fine.

Lem

Here's the Auto Express article..

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/previews/63614/seat_altea_fr.html

It was first on my list before I tested other cars, and even better the missus had picked it (!) having seen one on the road, and saying 'they look nice'.

As it is - I'm 32, will be getting married and possibly having a sprog (but not 5 of them!) in the lifetime of the car, drive lots, and do a lot of outdoor pursuits that involve odd shaped equipment (and lots of it). I also actually enjoy driving (had an Octavia vRS before the current company hack). It may be a car for a niche market, but it's a niche that does exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
The Altea FR will be top of my list when i look to change my current Altea later in the year. (Tdi Sport 18 months old with 33k on at present.) The Altea FR seems to being slagged off because it wears the FR badge (and the expectations that go with it) not because it is a bad car. It would have been interesting to see the reviews if it had just been labeled as another Sport model.
As another ex. Octavia Vrs Driver i still miss the the performance and enjoyment that car delivered but not the running costs!
The Sport Altea has been an excellent choice for me in reasonable performance, reliability, comfort (i'm 6ft 2"so not all cars are comfortable for me) and running costs (wish i'd bought the 17's though) but i hope the FR will bridge the gap between that and the performance of my Vrs without the running costs. :D

Paul

Tell

Staff member
I have a love / hate relationship with my 17" wheels on my Altea... think when I retire I'll go for normal sized wheels and driving comfort ;). Although I know you report you people that I'm getting much better handling but then the MPG is down....

Other than that I love the car and the minor starting up problem has gone. Changing the speakers as Paul knows gives you a wonderfull sound out of the existing headend. Last Paul your really clocking it up aren't you. Don't go away since when I get up to that level I'll be thinking of changing the tyres ;). LOL. I'm 6'1" and that's what I also like about it.

Richie D

May 24, 2005
Shropshire
33k in 18 months, I've got 10k in less than 3. It’s a testament to the Altea though, it’s a better car that the 5 Golf's I’ve had including a mk3 16v!
I really think that the FR is the better option, it needs the extra grunt over the sport model just to make up for the extra weight that it carries over a similar Leon/Golf. I've just got to wait another 2 and a bit years till I get an upgrade.

Rich

Tell

Staff member
That is a long time to wait Richie. Well I'll still be driving my Altea into the ground in ten years time since it's my own car and I do the buy new and drive them to the grave approach. This will be my third car where I've done this, so hence I'm interested in the high mileage guys since you are getting there way infront of me since I only use mine for pleasure at the moment since all my work is now in inner London where I don't bother to drive.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.