Altea instrument cluster

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
skard - is your altea otherwise stock?

I was looking at the link provided in post 14, seems that there may be a need to have Central Electric Module and Central Comfort Module installed...

Are they already where or did you install them?

Also i assume that the odometer can not be reset with the right values using just a vag-com?

Finally, you said you could immobilize the car if i cant recode the MFD, would swapping it back allow it to work ok or would it still be immobilized?

I really like the look of the MDF, just dont have access to commander to do the immobilizer bit!

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
skard - is your altea otherwise stock?

I was looking at the link provided in post 14, seems that there may be a need to have Central Electric Module and Central Comfort Module installed...

Are they already where or did you install them?

Also i assume that the odometer can not be reset with the right values using just a vag-com?

Finally, you said you could immobilize the car if i cant recode the MFD, would swapping it back allow it to work ok or would it still be immobilized?

I really like the look of the MDF, just dont have access to commander to do the immobilizer bit!

My Altea is long gone, but they all come with a CCM and CECM, it'll depend on the spec of the CCM to see whether the convenience menu appears in the dash thereafter.

The mileage doesn't need to be done with VCDS, it can be done in a roundabout way if you have the SKC but then why bother when it can be done more accurately and faster with Commander.

You will be able to put back your old clocks but the mileage will be out.

Where do you live? i know of guys in Great Yarmouth and Luton who have genuine cables and do this all the time.

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks for the reply!

Apologies didnt realist the altea had gone - i found that my local mechanic has the cable/software, and a bit of searching has revealed that they are readily available for £15-£20 online - should i be suspicious of these or are they likely to be the genuine thing? i assume the vag-com cable doesn't work with the commander software?

I'm trying to find a instrument cluster - seems that the price has shot up a bit on ebay etc - most asking for £100+... and not quite sure what I'm looking for on some of the listings as i dont know for def what the part number for my current one is... looks just like your one but who knows what it is behind that! and also what part number im looking for!

no SKC for me, can commander get it out for me? or is it a dealer only thing?

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Forget VCDS altogether for this. A clone commander worked for me but there are plenty of duds, and follow the DIY exactly, don't go into other modules with it!
A genuine commander is £££££££.
Mine was a Leon cluster, only difference was the knob to change time needed swapped. So a red screen mk2 Leon, Altea or Toledo mk3(?) will do, it is the one with the black plug at rear and not small blue plug (they are white MFD).

Commander does it all, it can retreive your SKC but you don't actually need it following the guide, but will be useful for making new keys etc.
Forget asking a dealer about this retrofit too.

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Just to confirm the red one lights up red,

the white one has white dials? or does it light up white?

Is there any easy way to tell without connecting it up of the breaker has already dismantled it from the car?

Last edited:

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Red and white as in the screen colour, that is red screen.
I am making the assumption your car has a red screen MFD?
That cluster had the black plug at the rear which is for red screen cars.
A white screen cluster has a blue plug.

Also do you have a petrol? It'd work in a diesel but some symbols are missing

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
The cluster you showed a photo of in the original few posts is what i have, and it is a diesel - i noticed that the cluster i linked was actually for FR so didnt help me tell the difference.

Thanks for your help...

found a couple on ebay but dont mention the colour of the screen or plug so will ask.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
No probs, the diesels rev to 6000rpm and petrols to 8000rpm that is the easiest way to tell.
Generally if it is before 2009 it'll be red MFD, same as yours.

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
Does anyone know if the Freetrack has the additional modules needed to get the full functions out of the maxidot menu?

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
It isn't about having the modules, all cars have them. It is the spec of the module that determine's the functions.
Maxidot...do you have a white screen MFD?

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
The part number will come up in a scan (look at 09-CECM and 46-CCM). The latter being the convenience menu and with all Altea's being 5 door I'd take a guess you have a module that will show up on a highline MFD.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
Or pop out the glovebox to see the CCM up behind it, PN will be stamped on it

MrDurst

Oct 4, 2013
Nice one, thanks. Where's the best place to get software/plug for OBD? Ebay?

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
I did five years ago, but it is very hit and miss (avoid blue leads).
I will say follow the DIY linked exactly, don't press any buttons you don't have to as the cheap cables don't have evolved software like VCDS, and can do damage.
If you're near Great Yarmouth or Luton I can recommend guys with genuine interfaces.

unclebob

Jul 22, 2009
Sorry - query to anyone - am i right to assume that any that comes out of an Altea/Toledo/Leon which looks the same as the current dials with the black plug will fit or again will there be some will work some wont? (i understood the comment re the push button being needed to be swapped).

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
My Altea had Leon clocks, I can't see any reason for that not being the case with others of the same generation.

tom t

Feb 12, 2011
I need to get this done!! As i want to visibly see mpg after coming from an lcr lol!! And other stuff. Just need to find the correct clocks!

aerobaticant

As this is the Altea instrument cluster thread I thought I'd ask here ...

How easy is it to remove the cluster?
ElsaWin suggests that the steering wheel needs to be removed (along with the driver's airbag); that seems a lot of work.

Will the cluster come out without removing the steering wheel?

If I remove and then replace the same cluster is there a risk of immobilisation?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.