Altea not starting straight away 2.0TDI

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
Morning all

Just come back from a business trip, went to start my normaly reliable Altea 2.0TDI and it didn't start. After cranking a quite a few times it did start. I thought perhaps the fuel needed to go through so didn't think much of it.
But the same thing happened the next day!
Once the car starts the car is fine and starts fine straight after. Its just first thing in the morning.

Its as if there is no fuel getting through.
The car is parked flat.........

Any ideas?

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
glowplugs gone or fuse to glow plugs. Has it thrown an orange engine/ignition light? Check if any fault codes thrown up on vag com.
Are you getting smoke out the back while cranking over? If so fuel is getting thru but not igniting. If not then it could be your fuel delivery. Have you started using biodiesel recently or changed filling station?
Biofuel can clean the system but bungs up the fuel filter with the debris....

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
Hi

No engine light
No fault codes
No smoke
No biodiesel
Filled up at same place.

Mate at work thought it might be the fuel fillter leaking air into the pipe? how do i check this without taking it to a garage and them spending hours on it costing my a fortune....

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Thats very strange, my leon tdi has done the exact same thing today!
Left it on the car park all day (it started fine this morning) and came to it at 5.30 and it spun over and fired once then died, then took a good 10 seconds worth of cranking to come to life - no smoke. no faults and ran fine there after. I filled up on saturday and chucked a forte fuel treatment in but i've done 45miles since then with out a problem?
It hasnt done this before whilst i've owned it.

WILKIP - just to test something, when you turn on you ignition keep the door open and listen to see if you hear a 'splash' from undernieth - this should be the fuel cooler filling with fuel and then see if it starts. I cant hear mine at the mo but it could be because i brimmed it?

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
Car started first thing this morning, the only thing i can think it was, my fuel was low before my 10 days away and the fuel filter became dry.?!?!?!?!

Just glad its working now!

Will keep you informed if this happens again!

Simmhead

Hi, I have the opposite to this with my 55 Toledo mk3 1.9TDi. It starts straight away when cold, but when warm can take 1-2 seconds of cranking before it fires. Anyone any ideas? Weird, thing is that it doesn't always do this, but more often than not it does.

Hi, I have the opposite to this with my 55 Toledo mk3 1.9TDi. It starts straight away when cold, but when warm can take 1-2 seconds of cranking before it fires. Anyone any ideas? Weird, thing is that it doesn't always do this, but more often than not it does.

there seems to be a few people had this issue before, try asking you Seat Dealer about any tech bulletins for it. I have heard before on the VW range they had a new map to reprogram the ECU to fix this issue.

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
just an up-date:

All seems to be fine now, no issue with starting at all!

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Whats up with yours chris?

water getting into the cylinders...
Just can not afford to get it fixed after having quotes between 2 and 3k
Also no one knows if its a crack in the head or the gasket.. But most seem to assume it would be the head as its becoming a common thing on the 2.0TDi....

It just seems to be getting worse and some days just not starting at all.. :(

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Sh1t the bed, and i thought mine was bad. Thats unusual as i've only ever seen one with a cracked head and it was down to the manufacturing - the car only had 3k on the clock.

Wilkip

Sep 14, 2006
Not good Chris, hope thats not the same on mine.
Still running fine (fingers crossed)