Altea Retro fit RNS 315

Devoured1

Oct 17, 2012
Wirral
got to admit as much as I'd like one of those units I would be very wary of spending £300+ on a brand I'd never heard of.

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
I was able to get the surround from my local seat dealer and it matches the rest of the freetrack dash perfectly.

Possibly a silly question, but did you manage to get the surround in that delightful FreeTrack brown/red colour to match the colour of the existing head unit/vents/instrument surround?

R.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
^^You should be able to get a genuine colour matched dash surround from SEAT, I got mine from David @ SERE

ritch_b

Jul 27, 2012
Oop north
I couldn't find the matching one as an available part when I looked; did check with Dave and it was listed as unavailable, hence being curious this time! If I'm really lucky, it might be available again!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

mungomole

Jul 29, 2013
I had a similar unit to the one in my freetrack from the same supplier in a vw passat I never had any issues with it in the 18 months I owned the car .

170xl

Mar 5, 2012
Ramsgate, Kent.
Can anyone shed some light on my issue, I have tried to fit a RNS315 into my 08my Altea XL, whilst it look easy it won't power up, no lights no sound nothing! Someone suggested it needs another 12v feed if so where to? Which pin? HELP!!

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
An RNS315 is an OEM unit so won't need a switched live from elsewhere, has the fuse on the rear of it gone?

170xl

Mar 5, 2012
Ramsgate, Kent.
Fuse is fine on both head unit and car, put original head unit back in and it works fine even swapped fuses from both head units to check. I don't want to blame the RNS315 so I need to be sure. When I fitted my Parrot I had to power that up with an additional fused link so though the same might apply??

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
The RNS315 gets its switched live through the CAN wiring, whereas the Parrot doesn't have that integrated.

Do all of the pins on the rear of the HU look intact? i mean the larger, flatter pins.

170xl

Mar 5, 2012
Ramsgate, Kent.
Everything looks as it should, I'll pull the standard HU tomorrow and check the pin configuration's. I'm sure the standard HU only has one positive connection where as the RNS 315 seems to have two? Some other posts suggest a simple plug an play.

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
It should be plug and play.
I have a PSU I use for bench testing and yes two pins need bridged for it to fire up outside a car but I have done this on the standard Altea HU, a poverty RCD300 and loads more such as RNS510, RCD510 and RCD310 as well as aftermarket VAG specific ones.
The 'bridging' is already done within the quadlock loom.

What I mean about the pins is are some of them damaged on the new headunit.

Did you buy it locally?

Last edited:

170xl

Mar 5, 2012
Ramsgate, Kent.
All pins are straight and true, I can't see any damage to anything, I bought it off of eBay from a reputable company with good positive feedback. Which pins do you bridge as I'm sure that my original loom only has one power supply, looking at the back of the 315 it has a + which I assume to be permanent 12v and a +UB, which I would guess is switched 12v? (Or vise versa)

skard

Dec 29, 2011
UK
All pins are straight and true, I can't see any damage to anything, I bought it off of eBay from a reputable company with good positive feedback. Which pins do you bridge as I'm sure that my original loom only has one power supply, looking at the back of the 315 it has a + which I assume to be permanent 12v and a +UB, which I would guess is switched 12v? (Or vise versa)

I bridge Code and +UB (code may be named differently so it is the one above +UB) when powering up externally, but I do not suggest bridging any of your car wiring as it is already in the loom!

It does only have one power supply in the loom so to speak, the ignition switching is done via the CANbus hence why an OEM or direct for VAG HU has this protocol integrated.
You should only need an external supply if you are fitting any old generic stereo as this doesn't talk to the CANbus.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Hi Mungomole, Very interested in your post I have ordered the in car DVD player and Sat Nav as detailed in your post to replace my Seat Media System 1. With regard to the rear view camera can you please give me the ebay No of your camera so I don't make a mistake on getting the right one and any other info you can give me on fitting etc. This looks like a straight forward swap in my Freetrack 2012 the only thing I can see is that there 2 rear number plate lights one each end of the number plate is the the same with your freetrack? Also, is there any easy way to take the audio/video leads to the roof monitor? Cheers mate aggie

mungomole

Jul 29, 2013
Hi, the eBay I'd is 250980509731 I am fairly sure this is the one it just replaces one of the two number plate lights it also works as a number plate light. It was easy to fit the wires if you look under the load tray in the boot you should see a air vent from outside to in I threaded them through there attached the power to the reversing light cable. The the av cable I ran under the carpet up to the front.The video out for the rear screen I just tucked the cable under the center counsel and plugged it in the av sockets that are in front of the rear seats . When it comes too the GPS receiver I tucked this under the dash as close to the top near the windscreen as possible it was magnetic so easy to find a place to secure it. Had the system a while now and it works fine Bluetooth for phone use is also very good.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
hi Mungomole, Sorry to bother you again. With regard to the position of the reversing camera my number plate light is not in the middle but at both ends of the number plate. Do I need to be in the middle or will one of the lights to one side give me full coverage? cheers mate

mungomole

Jul 29, 2013
Hi, the camera is placed to the side of the number plate light.I put mine in the left side so the camera was more towards the middle. It won't be in the middle of the bumper but as the camera has such a wide field of view it should be ok.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise