Altea Roofbox advice

Dobster

Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a roofbox for my Altea 1.9TDi and would appreciate any advice on particular brands. Also, if anyone can advise on the best size box, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I'll probably go with a set of Atera roof bars from Roofbox.co.uk but would like to get the opinions of any other Altea owners who have fitted roofboxes.

Many thanks.

RockyFreetrack

I have just bought a NEW Thule Atlantis 200 on ebay for £240.

neilmac

Just starting to tweak...
Jul 12, 2006
Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a roofbox for my Altea 1.9TDi and would appreciate any advice on particular brands. Also, if anyone can advise on the best size box, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I'll probably go with a set of Atera roof bars from Roofbox.co.uk but would like to get the opinions of any other Altea owners who have fitted roofboxes.

Many thanks.

Im interested to know how hard it is to get stuff in and out of them....the Alteas roof is quite high...Im 6ft but I struggle to wash the roof...

Dobster

Im interested to know how hard it is to get stuff in and out of them....the Alteas roof is quite high...Im 6ft but I struggle to wash the roof...

I'm assuming you need to stand on the sills with the doors open to load the boxes, being a shorty myself.
Thanks for the reply on the Thule Atlantis, at least that gives me something to go on.

RockyFreetrack

Fitted the SEAT bars last night - absolute nightmare, really difficult to get the bars to fit in the holes in the rails!

Ended up having to loosen some hex nuts! Doesn't mention doing that in the instructions but there was no other way.

The Thule Atlantis 200 fits perfectly on the car but it is very high!

twnewcastle

Jan 18, 2009
i have a set of altera roof bars(german make),and a karrite contour box,both bought from roofbox-no problems,with fitting-hits the hole every time-so to speak

Dobster

OK, so I finally went for a package deal from Roofbox.co.uk - Cruz bars plus an Odyssey 320 box for £130. Bars fit perfectly (although the assembly requires some lateral thinking and a degree in engineering given the minimal instructions supplied) and the box looks just right on the roof.

Dobster

Deal of the century as far as I'm concerned, especially as some roof bars on their own can cost as much.
No pics of the box on the car yet I'm afraid but goto roofbox.co.uk and check out the package deals section, I even got a set of locks thrown into the deal as well.
Very happy :D

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
you know roof boxes are cool!!

This is my touring companion in France last week!!

4753_119756045201_553060201_3329797_5423370_n.jpg

I certainly gets the looks! :)
........ and you don't loose it in a car park!

Last edited:

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
What kind of drop do you guys see in MPG when you've got the box fitted?

I regularly do trips down to Devon to see family etc, and a little extra storage would come in handy, especially now we've got the little'un ;)

don't ask......

Seriously though... if you are doing sensible speeds its not that much of a loss...
But just to make a point.. on my 2hr drive back to catch the early ferry home from France I averaged 27.5mpg....... round town throughout the week it was still pulling about 40-45mpg...

But let the speed be a word of warning on the MPG front...

Dobster

I regularly do trips down to Devon to see family etc, and a little extra storage would come in handy, especially now we've got the little'un ;)

I haven't used the box in anger yet but am off to Dorset with a full load in a couple of weeks so will definitely be keeping an eye on the petrol guage and hoping theres not too much of an impact.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
to be honest, with the roof box, my MPG on average isnt that much more than when i have the caravan on...

Hmmm however though 75 may have been a little slower than my ferry dash...

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002

Andy

Just been on hols with my new roofbox ( review here ), and it had very little effect on MPG.

Fully loaded Passat estate with roofbox was still averaging 45 mpg when cruising at 80 on the motorway (normally high 40's with same driving style when unloaded), and very little noise either. No more than a 10% hit on fuel economy as far as I could tell.

Was sooo useful having the extra space.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
I think we see a larger difference in MPG in the Altea because the car is higher in general compared to a Passat!

I would be lost without my roof box! you can never have enough space!

Andy, did you get a good deal on the Exeo?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.