Altea Speedo Accuracy

altea-ego

Dec 7, 2004
When driving my Altea, I can't believe how slow some speeds seem compared to my previous car. Even in the demonstrator I felt this too.

Anyway, I now have the explanation. The speedo overreads by 10%. I know this because I have bought some diagnostic kit which reads live data from the ECU. When the speedo reads 40mph the ECU is reading 36mph. And when the ECU reads 40mph the speedo reads 44mph.

This is with brand new tyres, so you can imagine when the tyres are low it will over read by more than 10% which will be illegal. I think Seat have set it up on the side of caution. At least I now know I can go faster and still be legal :p

Yello

drives a Banshee
Aug 5, 2002
Weston-Super-Mare
Visit site
My Leon Cupra R speedo was also in need of re-algnment.

I have an OriginB2 and the GPS confirmed on the Leon that it was about 5% out increasing though the faster you went. I haven't yet fitted the Origin to the Altea as the nearest power source (Ciggi Lighter) is placed too far away rather than under the dash as in the Leon. I may have to hardwire it in, but need a scematics from someone if they have it...?

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
My Altea speedo is also approx 10% out when checked against my Road Angel and Navman sat Nav.(Both read exactly the same GPS speed)
Our Alhambra on the other hand is only a couple of percent out.
My Vrs Octavia also used to be out by about 10%
Paul

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Speedos are allowed to over-read by a certain percentage, but they're not allowed to under-read at all.
So the manufacturers tend to err on the side of caution :)

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
As mentioned in another thread, my 17" wheel equipped 55 plate TDI Sport now wears 235/45-17 tyres instead of 225/45-17, I initially did this to try & reduce the quite harsh ride at lower speeds (wider tyre with same aspect ratio = higher side wall = softer ride). I also had a Road Angel and with the 225's it was 7mph high at 70mph, but with the 235's its only 3mph high at a 70mph and 1mph high at 30mph. Ride quality has also improved just enough to make the change worthwhile with no noticable effect on handling, also with the tyres being 10mm wider, I have better rim protection :).

Redcupra20vt

Jan 9, 2004
kent
Visit site
As mentioned in another thread, my 17" wheel equipped 55 plate TDI Sport now wears 235/45-17 tyres instead of 225/45-17, I initially did this to try & reduce the quite harsh ride at lower speeds (wider tyre with same aspect ratio = higher side wall = softer ride). I also had a Road Angel and with the 225's it was 7mph high at 70mph, but with the 235's its only 3mph high at a 70mph and 1mph high at 30mph. Ride quality has also improved just enough to make the change worthwhile with no noticable effect on handling, also with the tyres being 10mm wider, I have better rim protection :).

are you saying on the 225 tyres, when the speedo said 70 the road angel said 77?

paul

PaulieB

Dec 23, 2007
Edinburgh
I believe a lot of the newer cars are delibretly out on the speedos. I know for a fact the Corsa is out by 10% as the driving instructor had 2 speedos, the one on the passenger side was correct, the drivers side wasn't i believe it was an agreement between a few car manufacturers to get people to slow down a bit without them realising.

Tell

Staff member
Is it not that the manufactures of cars don't want to be done by private claims and insurance companies for accidents and deaths due to people speeding above indicated speeds so they error down on the equipment. Honest John goes on about centre lane cruisers and inaccurate speedos on a regular basis - lorries having the accurate ones hence why they 'chase' you in motorway maintenance areas since they are going at the correct speed.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.