Altea won't start

asohotra

Dec 21, 2017
My wife lost the key fob to our 2007 Seat Altea 1.9 tdi unfortunately, the only other key fob we had would only unlock/lock the car. I paid an auto locksmith for a new transponder, program it and cut the key. The car started and drove normally for one day the next it would start then cut out. Asked the auto locksmith to look at it again he did the whole process again but the car still won't start. On the instrument cluster it shows 0-1 which he says is the car recognising the key so he says its not the key programming which at fault but seems to think that the car has some sort of earthing problem which seems puzzling because before my wife lost the key the car drove faultlessly.

Any ideas as to what could be causing the car not to start?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
When you say the car won't start anymore. If you turn the key, what does happen? Eg, does it try and turn over? Or is it completely dead?

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Is the immobiliser light staying on when you try and start the car?

(Believe it's a symbol of a car with a key)

asohotra

Dec 21, 2017
The car tries to start but then cuts out. The immobiliser light does not staying on when you try to start the car.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
If it's been tried a few times your battery may not be charged enough, have you tried to jump it?

asohotra

Dec 21, 2017
No I haven't tried jump starting and yes it was tried a few times. So do you suggest jumping the car and would this hopefully help remedy the problem?

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
@asohotra
Any update or new insights regarding your issue?
My first thoughts were these ...
My wife lost the key fob to our 2007 Seat Altea 1.9 tdi unfortunately, the only other key fob we had would only unlock/lock the car. I paid an auto locksmith for a new transponder, program it and cut the key.
If I remember correctly for the pre-facelift models, the first step of the procedure for coding a new key fob can only be applied, as long as the original/correctly coded transponder in the spare key is used to switch on ignition. As you usually can start the engine with that very spare key, I tend to doubt the above mentioned programming of the new key, as you stated that your spare key fob was not fit to start your car.
Hence I suspect imperfect coding (as imho it'll be impossible under the conditions described) and as a result the immobilizer reacting with cutting off the engine.

EDIT: Another idea: Given that the auto locksmith correctly programmed the new blank transponder, there might be a mismatch in the transponders frequency, as I remember to have read about, that facelift models run on 434 Mhz while pre-facelifts like yours require 433,92 MHz.
This would possibly explain the correct programming as well as the failing to overcome the immobilizer.
Only the fact that your car actually ran for one day with the new key fob is a mystery to me then.

Last edited:

asohotra

Dec 21, 2017
Sorry for the late reply the problem was in fact the programming of the key. I called another auto locksmith who had the car running in 10 minutes he said the key had not been programmed correctly by the first locksmith which explains everything.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.