Alternator Removal

Lehane Racing

Nov 21, 2015
Near Chatham in Kent
Hi. This may have been covered before, if so, I apologise.
I've got a 2001 Toledo 2.3 V5 170. I need to replace the alternator, so I removed the tensioner & the two bolts that hold the alternator in place, but the alternator wont move.
Question 1 - Is there another bolt that I'm missing?
Question 2 - How does it come out, i.e. top, bottom?

Cheers in advance

Kieron

jamie 225

Nov 5, 2015
Changed mine on my Leon so don't no much about Toledo but mine was two bolts as well after undoing them and still didn't move I had to get a bar on it to get it to move/brake free pretty sure we share the same alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jamie 225

Nov 5, 2015
Great stuff I don't know much about your model or engine to

jamie 225

Nov 5, 2015
But I would take off bits around it just to make it easier. I had to take a few things out when I changed mine but my car is a LCR so would be different pal hope someone can answer your question good luck

Lehane Racing

Nov 21, 2015
Near Chatham in Kent
OK, so an update on this.
I removed the tensioner & the two bolts that held the alternator in place, but the alternator wouldn't move, so I gave a few taps with a soft hammer & it freed up.
Then I got underneath the front of the car, prised off the plastic cover cap from the main power lead & removed that (13mm nut).
Next, if you look further up the alternator (still from underneath the front), there's an 8mm nut that secures the above power lead to the alternator. Remove that & the plastic push-on clip that secures another cable to it.
From the top of the car, manoeuvre the alternator towards the inner offside wing & unplug the other lead from it. Then it'll come out with some rotating etc.
A pain in the ar*e to get out, but its done.
I'll update when I can be bothered to put the new one in!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.