Am I running in limp?!?!

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Had new discs and some bosch pads put on the Seat yesterday, along with a full brake system check.

Today the DSG seemed awfully comfortable in traffic, where usually it's like a little pitbull wanting to pull up quickly.

I found a little gap in the traffic, put it in 2nd and floored it.
It went...but...no kick. Just a very progressive acceleration that just seemed to lack poke.

Is there any way that anything to do with brakes could have triggered the Leon into limp mode? I can't for the life of me think of any reason why it would.
No other symptoms.

Any ideas?!?!

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Standard (unfortunately :rolleyes:).

Haven't jacked it up as I no longer have jacks/stands since I moved to the UK...

I don't hear any rubbing while driving, which I would expect

Redemption

Jun 18, 2011
Hampshire
Does seem a bit odd but if it's only started doing this since the brakes were done then I'd be looking at them as the culprits. Certainly worth getting them double-checked.

Unless by sheer coincidence something else is playing up. Would there not be some warning lights if it was engine related??

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Are the brakes hot after driving?

If it was in limp mode you wouldn't get over 2.5k revs.

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
Are the brakes hot after driving?

If it was in limp mode you wouldn't get over 2.5k revs.

Yeah your car would be running restricted.
If you can rev the car i will agree with other comments that it sounds like a break issue.

Check your breal fluid as well as the breaks themselves!!

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Still not sure why anything with my brakes would cause such a drop in performance.

Unless of course the pads were constantly on the discs.
You would think I would hear this

May 7, 2011
North East, UK
If your engine is not restricted to 2500 RMP then the engine appears to be happy with the fule/air and general condition so it must be caused by something other than the engines performance output.

Some of the time is it break issues, especially with the colder whether ... usually the first place to start.
As you say ... contact of your pads and disks (like having your handbreak slightly on as you set off).

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Going to have a good test on the way home tonight. THey are brand new pads, so need to sink in a bit. But I wouldn't be too pleased if they were in constant contact with the discs.

I'll silly user-error stuff like handbreak as well.

One thing I can't explain is why the DSG box was so smooth, as opposed to its usual aggressive self.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
My baby's back.

DSG is an over-eager teenager again and I get my lively kick up the arse at 2k revs again.
What was weird is that my ESP light blinked twice when I first drove away.

She must have been in the huff with me or something.

Stupid electronics

Mar 3, 2008
sunny Devon
if your brakes are sticking this will cut the fuel,into the injectors hence loss of power. does the car,or brakes smell hot since new pads/brakes were fitted?

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
No smells, no noises, no excessive marking on the new discs.
It almost seemed like the brakes temporarily locked a bit and needed the day in tr parking lot to loosen up again.

Gave the car a good ragging tonight whilst avoiding the druggies in Blyth and it was grand.

Will keep an eye out for it again tomorrow morning when everything is at its coldest

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Drove into work just now. No issues. No lights. Full power.

Just very strange.
Might get it hooked up to some diagnostics to see if there are any intermittent codes.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members