AM Reception

flyer263

Just bought a MK3 Toledo. When I test drove it the AM radio seemed to work okay. Now reception on AM is non-existant. I need my football on 5 live!! Any help greatly appreciated.

flyer263

just an update. Found over the last few days that AM reception works fine one day, next day nothing. It's in the same area, same set up. No idea what's going on!

idmorris

When its not working, does it make any difference if you grab hold of the car aerial? When you grab hold of it you effectively alter the length of the aerial and therefore effect its ability to tune.

From what I can gather other things to consider are:

Is the aerial mounting loose?
Is the coaxial cable connection to the aerial pushed all the way in and secure?
Is the coaxial cable connection to the head unit pushed all the way in and secure?

The last two will require removal of the the aerial/head unit and as you say you have just bought the car it may be worth taking it back for them to look at (if possible).

flyer263

Doesn't really suit taking it back as it's a bit of a trek and I don't think the radio would be covered under the 3 month warranty they give. I'll try fiddling around myself. Need to find out what keys I need and how to get a hold of them now!!

idmorris

There are threads and links on this site for head unit removal. Cos i'm a newbie cant give you the full link, but search Altea Head Unit. A couple of the threads have links to pics as well