Annoying noise - could someone please identify issue?

Booya

LCR 225
Nov 17, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi folks,

I am getting a noise coming from the drivers side of the engine bay (I think). It's a screechy metallic noise that could sound like a belt slipping or even air being pushed out a small leak somewhere. This noise only happens when warm on idle and pulling away from idle I get a louder screech then I don't hear it again until idling or pulling away from idle. So I don't hear it while the car is moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9HgJ4V_4qo

Please help it does my head in. You might need the volume up to hear the screech.

Last edited:

Booya

LCR 225
Nov 17, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I've had the car 5 years and over 40,000 miles and don't recall it being replaced mate. Could it be a worn belt you think?

Thanks for the reply.

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Id say its your auxiliary belt slipping mate, easy cheap fix, if it is! however as you have said yourself, you have had the car 5 years so you might want to think about changing the timing belt and water pump while your at it, if you havnt already.

Gabster

Apr 15, 2010
Dorset
Possibility, when I replaced my timing belt at Seat they replaced the alternator belt too.
If you haven't done your cambelt at all then 5 years is the interval if I'm correct. But it sounds like the belt or the tensioner is lose.
Worth waiting for another opinion from fellow forum members.

Booya

LCR 225
Nov 17, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Id say its your auxiliary belt slipping mate, easy cheap fix, if it is! however as you have said yourself, you have had the car 5 years so you might want to think about changing the timing belt and water pump while your at it, if you havnt already.

Timing belt and water pump were done last year but thanks for the heads up anyway :happy:

Booya

LCR 225
Nov 17, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Possibility, when I replaced my timing belt at Seat they replaced the alternator belt too.
If you haven't done your cambelt at all then 5 years is the interval if I'm correct. But it sounds like the belt or the tensioner is lose.
Worth waiting for another opinion from fellow forum members.

Ok thanks very much for your input. I'll see what other members think as well :D

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Well I call it the auxiliary belt, or fan belt, but alternator belt if that's what you call it. The belt that drives the power steering pump, alternator and aircon.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.