Annoying Noises

Diaman

Sep 28, 2005
Hi, I did a search on the above, but couldnt really find anything of use to me. My fr tdi is about a month old now and theres so many annoying noises and squeaks coming from the dash/in the dash. Its really pi55ing me off now, anyone else had this problem who can help me out, oh should I be looking at the dealer to sort this for me? Another thing, on closer inspection, I cant believe how shoddy the dash looks, really sharp jagged edges that doesent look like it was cut right, not meeting flush with other edges! Is this normal oh should I take this back to get it sorted?

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
oh dear a month, you wait till a year!!!

loads of rattles, two of the worst are glovebox lids and the little shelf under the stereo, put some tape around the stereo shelf and it should sit in there tighter with no ratle, as for glovebox, just adjust the gromets out a bit

Diaman

Sep 28, 2005
Great, so im guessing ive got so much to wait for then!!! :(
Ill give the tape a try then. So is the shabbyness of the dash a common thing? Surely it should at least be flush with other edges and not sharp and jagged tho?

superkully

Jul 1, 2004
You wouldn't expect it from a VAG car would you?

Neither did I back in March 2003. But after a year of rattles, squeeks and whistles the worst were gone and the rest I've grown to love (just joking).

At least it's been utterly reliable for the past 45K miles and survived two accidents.

Civic_Legend

Jun 7, 2005
Ash
Mine squeals like a pig when it comes on boost, clonks from somewhere under my seat on undulating roads (but not on crashy bumps, which is weird) and the dash is constantly creaking and cracking as it expands/contracts with temperature changes. The drivers side grab handle (how pointless?!??) buzzes above 3,500 rpm and the road noise is RIDICULOUS. Wind noise pretty poo too.

However, I'd say the stiff suspension of the Ibiza Cupra is as much to blame as anything, rattles the car to bits.

flashbsd

should have paid the other 3 grand and got the polo shouldn't you!

i brought my SEAT knowing i would get rattles, like people buying a rally inspirated subaru and asking for the comfort pack!

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Managed to get rid of most of mine (had the usual glove box and tray under the stereo one).

But... only one I can't seem to sort appears to come from the passenger side rear head rest. Remove it and it stops! Put it back in and it starts up again! Anyone else had this one? Looks daft with one rear head restraint removed.

Diaman

Sep 28, 2005
Howd you get rid of the glovebox and tray under the stereo noises? I know you can probaly jam some card or paper in, but is there any other way apart from this?

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Diaman

Glove box - The rubber grommets on the lid of the glove box can be adjusted (think it needs a torq type screwdriver). Let them out bit at a time until the glove box lid closes tightly. It's usually the lid of the glovebox itself that rattles.

Tray under the stereo - I pulled this out and carefully put a couple of double sided sticky blocks (Pritt stick type things) and then pushed it firmly back in. This did the trick for me.

Merry Christmas...

Diaman

Sep 28, 2005
I was thinking of doing something like this as the fittings just above the dials seems pretty shoddy and im sure this is vibrating and given off noise