Another miles per gallon thread...

lm62svt

Sep 26, 2013
Essex
That's very good MPG, I'm lucky to get 740 out of a fill up (60 litres) from my 143

However I have noticed a considerable improvement overall since I switched the ECON button on about six months back. I kept it on unless I really need to have A/C.

Mrski1

May 12, 2008
Aberdeen
Having now covered 6615 miles the average MPG is 46.1 mpg, up from 44mpg prior to the new fuel pump being fitted, I even saw mid 60's on my run back home from Newcastle last weekend!

I am seriously at risk of becoming one of those hypermilers drafting buses......I am also really interested to see what difference changing tyres makes once the current set are done with.

Last edited:

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
Short journeys and 18 mile round trip to work and back 5/6 days a week i get, 540ish miles to 60 litres of vpower diesel shell ... estate 2.0 tdi 143 bhp... not sure if thats good or not to be honest.

cmgreen

Jan 31, 2006
Short journeys and 18 mile round trip to work and back 5/6 days a week i get, 540ish miles to 60 litres of vpower diesel shell ... estate 2.0 tdi 143 bhp... not sure if thats good or not to be honest.

Think that's about 40 mpg...

After a week of ownership I am getting exactly what my Audi a3 2.0tdi 140 (mapped) was getting, Se Lux 143, think it will do better on a long run tho-Just mind....

Mr owl

Aug 8, 2015
Important message to those seeing poor mpg despite driving carefully all the time. Have you had a play with your trip computer? I am new to exeo and was experiencing same problem - bad mpg. Went to option on DIS and found out that I had US gallon set as a unit and realised you can actually switch between uk mpg, us mpg and l/100km :). The difference is uk gallon is like 4.55l and us gallon is like 3.75l. Hope this helps. I prefer l/100km and mine average consumption is 6.1l/100km which translates to around 46mpg. Still very bad considered I do mostly motorway miles and generally stick it between 70-75mph with occasional hard accelerations and tests (Still new to the car) Previous car vw bora pd130 (remapped) similar driving conditions I would be seeing around 52mpg average.

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
Important message to those seeing poor mpg despite driving carefully all the time. Have you had a play with your trip computer? I am new to exeo and was experiencing same problem - bad mpg. Went to option on DIS and found out that I had US gallon set as a unit and realised you can actually switch between uk mpg, us mpg and l/100km :). The difference is uk gallon is like 4.55l and us gallon is like 3.75l. Hope this helps. I prefer l/100km and mine average consumption is 6.1l/100km which translates to around 46mpg. Still very bad considered I do mostly motorway miles and generally stick it between 70-75mph with occasional hard accelerations and tests (Still new to the car) Previous car vw bora pd130 (remapped) similar driving conditions I would be seeing around 52mpg average.
How do you check and where are the trip computer settings?

Mr owl

Aug 8, 2015
I dont know if this is available on all exeo's as I have the colour DIS integrated with seat navigation system, on the right hand stalk, you have a button underneath to switch from trip 1 and trip 2. If you click once it will go from trip 1 to trip 2 if you click again it will take you to option menu, where you will see 3 boxes, settings, check and set or something like that if you dig deeper you will get to the options. You can choose units, set what is on the display etc.

richdot

Mar 5, 2015
I dont know if this is available on all exeo's as I have the colour DIS integrated with seat navigation system, on the right hand stalk, you have a button underneath to switch from trip 1 and trip 2. If you click once it will go from trip 1 to trip 2 if you click again it will take you to option menu, where you will see 3 boxes, settings, check and set or something like that if you dig deeper you will get to the options. You can choose units, set what is on the display etc.

yeah mines already set for GB miles per gallon.

Mr owl

Aug 8, 2015
I think these 2.0tdi cr 170 are fairly thirsty for a diesel engine.

I need to be careful with my right foot all the time to get it above 50mpg on a run. I am yet to see 55mpg average. The best I managed to achieve was 5.3l/100km ( 53mpg )80% motorway 20%, little traffic. A/C on econ and average speed 60mph. mostly sitting on cruise at 70mph.

I think in CR 143 and 16-17" wheels would be better by at least few mpg. I will update my readings after I finish preparing my vehicle. Its got new quieter, good fuel rated tyres. Still service oil and cambelt change to folllow soon. Custom remap will be done as soon as the engine had been serviced.

cmgreen

Jan 31, 2006
Just did a 500 mile trip down to worksop then across to Manchester, then chester then back to Newcastle, easy 56 mpg and not hanging around either!

hugh_

Aug 25, 2007
Kent
I've done a few long and fast trips over the last few weeks.

60mile trip, ~40miles pottering, 420mile trip quite alot of the latter at 90ish on 51l of esso premium diesel (forget what its called)

400mile trip, 30pottering, 120 motorway and into london on 57l V-power

120pottering, 250 trip @ 70, 250 trip @ 80 - 58l esso premium diesel

Despite regularly getting the computer to read 60mpg, albeit the average to a tank rarely over 51-52, I very rarely see more than 45 when worked out at the pump, and its 41-42 if using regular diesel. I haven't had the opportunity to try a long trip at <65mph which I think is what is needed to get decent real figures. This is a 2009 ST 143 SE with 135k on the clock.

It normally takes 10-20miles before the average mpg starts to get up to something reasonable so wonder if I have a lazy stat which won't be helping, I stupidly forgot to ask them to change it when they did the water pump at cambelt time in April. I've just ordered VCDS so I'll log the water temp and see what's what.

Garethm

Oct 8, 2014
Just glancing through this thread. I have a CR170 Sport Saloon. I was averaging 30-38mpg for the last few months there and after a major service just last month and a good long haul from the North of Ireland to the south I was averaging 49-52mpg and it hasn't dropped below 45mpg.

If you haven't tried it yet (I only glanced and didn't read thoroughly) I would suggest an oil and filter change all round and see if that works.

I had a Honda Civic Type R previously so I was never fussed on MPG as I only do around 20 miles a day to work and back, I bought the Exeo because I needed a saloon for my now 1 year old daughter and it was imo the best option in terms of power/affordability/spec out there.

I am sure it is a hell of a lot better than a 330ci BM as I have also had a 116i M Sport before that the Type R gave better mpg than.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.