any information on how to clean egr valves

davidmills2002

Jul 14, 2008
Buntingford, Hertfordshire
Cleaned my EGR and intake manifold today. For anyone thinking about doing it, it's a simple job with just a handful of bolts. Though as said almost every bolt is blind and is a :censored: to get to. My hands look like i should be on suicide watch now!!! Used a big bottle of parrafin to clean it all which worked a treat and only cost about £6 or so from B&Q.

After i put it back on I used Vag Com to adjust the EGR to its lowest setting and then stuck a bolt in the vacuum pipe. So far no engine light on the dash and hope it stays that way.

Had about 1mm coating of gunk in EGR and manifold btw.

oma

davidmills2002

Cleaned my EGR and intake manifold today. For anyone thinking about doing it, it's a simple job with just a handful of bolts. Though as said almost every bolt is blind and is a to get to. My hands look like i should be on suicide watch now!!! Used a big bottle of parrafin to clean it all which worked a treat and only cost about £6 or so from B&Q.

After i put it back on I used Vag Com to adjust the EGR to its lowest setting and then stuck a bolt in the vacuum pipe. So far no engine light on the dash and hope it stays that way.

Had about 1mm coating of gunk in EGR and manifold btw.

Can the 409.1 VAG Com adjust the EGR to it's lowest settings.

Ranger

Please if any can put up a 'how to' up about this I would be so grateful. My engine management light has been on so I took it into a dealer run a test on it. They tell me the EGR valve needs replacing and it's gonna cost £515, plus the £95 for the diagnostic test. Are these things expensive to buy or is that just labour?

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Please if any can put up a 'how to' up about this I would be so grateful. My engine management light has been on so I took it into a dealer run a test on it. They tell me the EGR valve needs replacing and it's gonna cost £515, plus the £95 for the diagnostic test. Are these things expensive to buy or is that just labour?

New EGR's are around £200 depending where you shop.

Why not get the car re-mapped and have the egr deleted - will cost less than £500 and you have more power too.

karizma_fas

ICE ICE BABY!
Feb 27, 2009
Central Scotland
They tell me the EGR valve needs replacing and it's gonna cost £515, plus the £95 for the diagnostic test. Are these things expensive to buy or is that just labour?

WOW is it gold plated :wtf:

You need to take it off and clean it mate. Garage will only be saying you need to replace it to charge more. If you take it off, give it a real good clean, then put it back on (I used some Redex (or millers) additive engine cleaner aswell), run it for a bit then get vag com to reset the light it should sort it. Its worth a try and if it works its saved u a few quid.

They are usually around £160-200 as stated for a new 1.

Ranger

Yeah... plus VAT :blink:

Any ideas where this thing is on a 1.2? I'm not seeing any flying saucers. Damn, I had a photo of my engine but I can't link until I hit 15 posts.

Ranger

Also, the engine cover has 2 pipes attached to the engine, the larger of the 2 is literally resting in whatever it is attached to on the engine, there is no tension there at all. Any ideas what this is and if it might be something to do with why my engine light is up?

Ranger

OK I think I was looking for the wrong thing the EGR valve for a 1.2 is actually more light a cylinder yeah? I've seen photos on google images, but still can't find where it is in the engine. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

JackoFR

Jan 14, 2015
Manchester
This is the most difficult thing in the world, tried for 30 mins and in that time didn't even manage to get a alan key in the underneath bolts, you guys are obviously better men than me, i had to give up

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.