Any point in ordering ACC without DSG?

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
So as the 1.4TSi doesn't have a DSG option, has anyone still ordered the ACC? Just wondering if anyone had any experience as to whether it was at all worthwhile or a waste because the car can't change gear...

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
So as the 1.4TSi doesn't have a DSG option, has anyone still ordered the ACC? Just wondering if anyone had any experience as to whether it was at all worthwhile or a waste because the car can't change gear...

You can change gear yourself. Plus you get the added enjoyment of pretending to be messing with the radio as you plough towards traffic at a red light so as to give your Mrs a heart attack, works like a charm :)

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
I test drove the golf with ACC + DSG, whilst I found the technology very clever and impressive it scared me to death, I know I'd of mistakenly thought it was active as I go plowing into a stationary car in front! Sometimes cars are too clever...

Last edited:

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
You'd certainly need DSG to get the full benefit of the ACC but its still a nice feature in isolation. Its a decent upgrade over standard cruise control and unless traffic came to a complete stand still you'd probably be in 6th gear anyway at most speeds whilst using it.

Also remember nearly all Mk7 Golfs (SE upwards) have it even though most will be Manual and not DSG.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
Hummmmm decisions, £10 a month on our company scheme! This buying a new car lark is complicated

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
I test drove the golf with ACC + DSG, whilst I found the technology very clever and impressive it scared me to death, I know I'd of mistakenly thought it was active as I go plowing into a stationary car in front! Sometimes cars are too clever...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvbpS2a4aLg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Super clever, standard with golfs equipped with acc come with aeb or some thing (automatic emergency braking). You'd have to check with the Leon spec but you'd have to be an idiot to crash one of these.in a straight line

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
That video is a bit too close for comfort.

Don't think I could trust the system.

Well i dont think you would want to rely on it at every traffic light lol but i can confirm it works, my golf thought i was going to plough into a car that was parking up on the side of the highstreet, i had seen it and was going to go round it but it was having non of it and slammed the hankers on a bit until the radar worked out i had steered round and was going to miss it.

This is the state of the motoring industry in 2014, its no longer about you trusting the cars, now its about the cars not trusting you :D

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
appreciate this is a bit old, but I've had a rental golf with a dsg and acc and although it was great in traffic (since it was more or less feet free) but at motorway speeds it was annoying as hell. anything less than the maximum couple of distances were a bit close for comfort, and having it out that far meant a lot of unnecessary speeding up and slowing down. I got about 4mpg less with that on vs the speed limiter at the same speed.

I tend to use cruise basically all the time (even at 30/40) so wouldn't spec ACC. One of the main reasons (along with the burberry trim) I didn't even bother to look at the golf.

Pheo

Sep 11, 2009
appreciate this is a bit old, but I've had a rental golf with a dsg and acc and although it was great in traffic (since it was more or less feet free) but at motorway speeds it was annoying as hell. anything less than the maximum couple of distances were a bit close for comfort, and having it out that far meant a lot of unnecessary speeding up and slowing down. I got about 4mpg less with that on vs the speed limiter at the same speed.

I tend to use cruise basically all the time (even at 30/40) so wouldn't spec ACC. One of the main reasons (along with the burberry trim) I didn't even bother to look at the golf.

Haven't ordered yet so the delay is fine! Thanks for the insight, sounds like normal cruise will be fine!

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
Haven't ordered yet so the delay is fine! Thanks for the insight, sounds like normal cruise will be fine!

See if you can test one with it on the motorway you'll see what I mean straight away.

I found it really annoying, but if you're the type of person that sits at 60 you might find it less so (mine tends to be set at around 75)

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Seems that that video is demonstrating the emergency braking rather than ACC?

Doesn't the ACC slow your car down AS the car in front slows down, rather than waiting until its inches from ploughing into it?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.