Anybody tried a TD05 turbo on 1.8T ?

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I have yet still to drop my car of at Jabba to be looked at from awesome RR'd day. I hate the 3hr drive its a pain. But looking at the golfs results at 1.2bar and mine at 1.4bar its not massively unhealthy buts its lacking in consistency. I have a feeling the exhaust housing is possibly cracked up by the wastegate giving me spurious results from the n75 and strange boost surges. N75's been changed, all i can think is wg/boost controller/map sensor/ exhaust housing.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Madmile said:
Yes i am. I thought they would have been a little better when it comes to day to day running, clutch every 1k thats very poor. Especially if thats for a normal driver. I dont know whats going to happen a fq400 was an idea as there now £32-33. I dont know what to do. I have had enough of the Ibiza , maybe its just the time of year putting a downer on me. I cant be arsed putting anymore money into the nearly 5 year old ibiza. As ever time will tell.

Bloke up basildon who has an FQ-400 blew his gearbox not to long ago, £6500 for a new one, least the warranty picked it up i spose. However quick they are i still think there are some better tools out there for less money.:)

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Not had my MAF go yet. Fingers crossed.

Think I'm losing some power though and know I've got some kind of leak around the exhaust manifold.

My next car is likely to be an Ariel Atom 300 for trackdays use only, or a tuned Noble for track and road. Not for a while yet though, got lots of other stuff I need to spend my money on.

Cheers
Ben

Ibiza sport man

Dec 13, 2003
Kettering
Visit site
Madmile said:
The whole td05 range are good. Consider a td05 16g or a 18g. I have looked at these turbos the scooby lot seem to prefer them to the IHI units. Also consider the IHI vf22 which seems to go cheap now. On a 1.8T i would mainly look at the tdo5 16g, tdo5 18g. The 20g might be to laggy. Also consider the momentum ej5-40t. I dont hink IHI turbos are very strong. The ej5-40t is cheaper than a vf34 and is supposed to be strong, faster spooling, and it is supposed to be more powerful at the top end.

How come the plain bearing EJ5-40T is supposed to spool quicker than the ball bearing IHI ? I know there are many other factors involved but I thought ball bearing jobs were supposed to be loads better, or is it just marketing hype ?

Bernard

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
It is supposed to be designed better and tested harder. Take a look at momentums site and the Nasioc for more info. But what they claim and the actual result may not be the case.

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
ibizacupra said:
DP connection or cracked DP.... and you would not be alone in this.

Yeah I know, just gotta find the time to take it up to Jabba.

And if I do that then I might as well get the largeport head, uprated valves, engine mounts, remap etc etc done at the same time. :)

Ben

Cupra 200bhp

Ive just got my downpipe back from Jabba, had a few bad cracks on it they welded it an posted it back up to me. Feels alot tighter now and doesnt seem to be losing power. :D

Ben is your ihi running 1.4bar to get 361bhp? Mine is currently running 342bhp at 1.2bar, would i have to get remap to take it to 1.4bar? Also is it safe to take it to this level?

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
I thought your car was running 1.2-1.25bar but torque was a little lower than the rest of us because of it. It was 342bhp 275lbs ft i think on the old rollers. It would prob be 325-330bhp 290-300lbs ft on the new ones at 1.25bar.

I reckon your running about 18.5psi but i would goto 20.5psi as a max. Power is nice but reliablility is the key.

Last edited:

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Cupra 200bhp said:
Ive just got my downpipe back from Jabba, had a few bad cracks on it they welded it an posted it back up to me. Feels alot tighter now and doesnt seem to be losing power. :D

Ben is your ihi running 1.4bar to get 361bhp? Mine is currently running 342bhp at 1.2bar, would i have to get remap to take it to 1.4bar? Also is it safe to take it to this level?

Yeah I've gotta get my downpipe or whatever is leakign fixed. It feels less powerful at the moment.

My boost guage shows 21psi amx, which is about 1.45bar! i didn't realise I was running higher boost than anyone else!

"Is it safe?, good question. Its on standard internals and hasn't broken yet, but to be honest I think its probably a matter of time. My plan is to get rich and then get the uprated internals.... and whilst I'm there I may as well go for the 1.9 conversion. :)

Cheers
Ben

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Mine was running 1.5 bar 22psi. So was Custardcupras. I am more worried about turbo reliability than engine reliability. Yesterday on the dyno mine was having a moment and it hit 400lbs ft ish by accident.

Last edited:

Cupra 200bhp

Madmile said:
I thought your car was running 1.2-1.25bar but torque was a little lower than the rest of us because of it. It was 342bhp 275lbs ft i think on the old rollers. It would prob be 325-330bhp 290-300lbs ft on the new ones at 1.25bar.

I reckon your running about 18.5psi but i would goto 20.5psi as a max. Power is nice but reliablility is the key.

I maybe wait and save some pennies and buy FMIC before i turn the boost up.

Does anyone know why mine runs slightly lower bhp/torque figures? Or have you guys just spent that little bit extra money on something that i dont know about :whistle: :p

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
As more cars have been done the boost has been pushed harder and harder as they have shown that they can take a little more. But there pretty quick at 18psi anyway. I always liked mine best at 20psi it just seemed to perform well in every dept at that level. Your figures are right though i think me and Jools had 1.35bar and thats why our torque may have been a little higher 290-300lbs ft compared to your 275lbs ft. Also like us your on the .18 housing Ben is on the .20. And our figures were 1.35 compared to his 1.45bar and we were not running aquamist when our RR'd figures were produced. Mine 343/344bhp i cant remember which and Jools 348/349bhp and bens was 361bhp i think.

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Yes mines 361bhp 313lbft as per my sig. Or atleast it was before the leak (Probably cracked DP).

Yes mines got a few little bits on top of the stage 3 kit as Gary mentioned. I've got the 20 exhaust housing, aquamist water/methanol injection and a little more boost (Just checked, my boost guage has a recall facility so you can see the max boost... I'm actually running 22psi = 1.5bar).

Also Jabba said that some cars just give more power than others and mine was one of the lucky ones. Bill was always one of the unlucky ones when it was just remaooed (i.e. pre IHI).

Gary, what caused this 'funny moment' on the RR?

Cheers
Ben

Apr 28, 2003
??????????
Visit site
Its still not comfirmed but i may know more Friday afternoon. When it arrived at jabba it only made 301bhp on the new rollers and it was running very badly. It made 302bhp @ awesome, i reckon its 30-40bhp down on what it should have. On the new rollers i should see 330bhp 300lbs ft. I reckon i was 30-40bhp down @ the fly on the day.

Last edited:

Cupra 200bhp

cool at least i know everything is how it should be, i more than happy with it at 342bhp scary enough when you want to have some fun. Im looking to purchase some more methanol for mine. Anyone know where to purchase this?

Also im going to get it RR'd up in Scotland as it has aquamist now hopefully will make a difference. But as everyone knows every rolling road is different. Would be interesting to see how different Jabba's RR is to one up here. Hopefully get some time to get it RR'd in the next month, i'll post once i have it done

BenS1

Jun 26, 2001
West Sussex, England
Visit site
Cupra 200bhp said:
cool at least i know everything is how it should be, i more than happy with it at 342bhp scary enough when you want to have some fun. Im looking to purchase some more methanol for mine. Anyone know where to purchase this?

Also im going to get it RR'd up in Scotland as it has aquamist now hopefully will make a difference. But as everyone knows every rolling road is different. Would be interesting to see how different Jabba's RR is to one up here. Hopefully get some time to get it RR'd in the next month, i'll post once i have it done

You can get high proof Methanol from most model shops. Its pretty cheap too. I bought about 10 gallons of it!

Ben

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members