Anybody use Nitrous?

jamie8954

Diesel FTMFW
Jun 29, 2008
UK
Hi All,

been looking into this for a while now ,

my mate had it on his 150bhp leon diesel and i think i want it

what are the downsides to nos half of the people i talk to about it are like no definatly not it will blow you car up

obviously it cant be good for your car ? correct me if im wrong

but what parts will it wear is it like turbo or is it the actual engine ?

if i got it i would get 50 shot ?

please discuss here :)

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Can't imagine you'd be able to use it for very long at a time. Plus its illegal to use nitrous in the engine on public roads.

I'd imagine it will really strain all your engine components, probably blow your turbo amongst other things.

And its reaaalllyyy expensive!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

yellonvi-R

Sep 8, 2011
birmingham
Pointless and distructive unless your a drag racer? Will kill a standard engine in no time. I bought an s13 200sx once that had just been fitted with nos....lasted 2 weeks lol good job i got it cheap for a laugh lol

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
Bit pointless, just spend the money on tuning your FR to stage 2.

It's not illegal iirc

Aug 1, 2011
Any of you lot ever used it before you go saying its useless?

Do some reading up on the web, and look into getting a progressive controller. That's if it doesn't have one already.

It is fully legal for the road.

There's no reason why it would make it blow up, only if to large a shot of nitrous was used.

jamie8954

Diesel FTMFW
Jun 29, 2008
UK
Any of you lot ever used it before you go saying its useless?

Do some reading up on the web, and look into getting a progressive controller. That's if it doesn't have one already.

It is fully legal for the road.

There's no reason why it would make it blow up, only if to large a shot of nitrous was used.

thats a sort of sensible answer i was looking for

my mate had it on his leon and his has been fine , also my mate has it on his golf mk5 and his is also fine just wanted to know if it was to do any damage what damage would it do

I am not bothered about the its illegal etc i just wanted advise on what damage if any it will cause

i am local to wizards of nos its about 2 minutes from my house and may go see them

with regards to tuning my car more i dont think there is much more i want to do to it i have hybrid turbo , remap , fmic , exhaust what else is there to do apart from spending stupid amounts on bigger turbos

Aug 1, 2011
I'd go and have a word with them on the matter, they'll be the best people to talk to and will actually give you sound advice.

Rather than 'it'll blow your engine" - Its not quite fast and furious.

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
But the car was designed to run on diesel and air. Not nitrous. It creates a much bigger explosion which the engine was not designed to take.

I'm not saying don't do it, because it would be wicked. But go speak to the people in the know. I'd imagine the engine would need modification to be able to cope with the larger explosion, and they'll be able to tell to you exactly what you need.

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Also buying nitrous oxide is NOT illegal
Having nitrous oxide in a car is NOT illegal.

Using nitrous oxide injected into the engine to detrimental effects to the vehicles emissions IS ILLEGAL.
Department of Transport said:
This is the standard line we use on Nitrous Oxide Boosters:
Regulation 61(7) and 61A(3) of the Road Vehicles (Construction & Use)
Regulations 1986, as amended, prohibit modifications to vehicles which
would cause their emissions performance to exceed the levels which the
vehicle had to meet when new. These parts of the regulation only apply to
vehicles registered after 26th June 1990. It seems likely that installation
and use of nitrous oxide injection equipment would adversely affect the
emissions performance of a vehicle.

You should note that nitrous oxide is an extremely powerful greenhouse gas
and hence leakage of the gas to the atmosphere is highly undesirable from
an environmental perspective."

Cos

20VT, bitches!
Aug 27, 2010
Brighton
But the car was designed to run on diesel and air. Not nitrous. It creates a much bigger explosion which the engine was not designed to take.

I'm not saying don't do it, because it would be wicked. But go speak to the people in the know. I'd imagine the engine would need modification to be able to cope with the larger explosion, and they'll be able to tell to you exactly what you need.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but N20 is used to rapidly and massively cool down the air which is going into the engine, allowing a denser mix to be combined with more fuel, largely increasing power output. Just like WMI

Last edited:

abbotsmike

Dec 17, 2011
Uxbridge

Remaps and larger turbos both help to cause 'bigger explosions'. This is how the car makes more power! So by your reasoning anything that increases the power output from standard is a problem... Whilst that is partially true, nitrous is no different to any other power increase in that respect.

WRT the nitrous itself, it also breaks down into nitrogen and oxygen when heated, so it allows more oxygen to be burnt in that respect.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
If you already have a hybrid, you'll really need to think about new rods if your going to use nitrous.

If you want the power for prolonged periods of time, then its not a lot of use.
It is very expensive if you start using it a lot.
If its just for 1/4miles or track then fair enough, but on the road (forgetting the legalities) its nto exactly simple to just decide to switch it on.
You would need a remote bottle switch, with our climate your going to need a blanket too, to keep up the pressure.
Costs all start to add up.

IMO, the money would be better spent on a set of injectors. Give yourself 30bhp constantly, and you wont be long in spending the same amount on nitrous

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
The main problem with nitrous is getting the air/fuel mix spot on, any slight deviation in the nitrous flow could result in the engine running lean and melting a piston etc. If it was my car i'd def give it a miss

Aug 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
Nitrous actually works really well on diesels. Problem you'll have Jamie, is that your injectors are already maxed, and obviously its no use having any more air if you cant increase the fueling with it.

As Vroomtshh says, invest in bigger injectors (Firad +80% nozzles), and then I'd be looking at 2056/2260's. Will work out a similar price to a progressive nitrous system with all the add on's.

JoeCav

Jan 3, 2011
Leeds
As with all things, if you abuse it you can expect a disappointing outcome. However, set up correctly and used sensibly, it's fine. Like someone mentioned earlier on, get the nitrous on a progressive controller and use at a sensible level and you "should" be fine. A buddy of mine had it on his 1.8t TT for about 3 years, it was fine.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
sorry, i didn't realise we were on about diesels in my earlier post, and yh it a lot less of an issue on a diesel, fueling not so important

ggs mk1 fr

Jan 9, 2014
Sheffield
Well I see this post was last replied 2 years and 2 day's ago!!
what route did you choose jamie8954
I'm just asking because I'm curious.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.