Anyone fit a secret ignition cut out switch?

Sharp

just looking for an easy low cost ignition cut off switch as a simple "immobilizer" in the event of theft....any pics of a stealth install and good concealment location?

any ideas welcome!!
thanks
Shalil

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Wouldnt posting pics and how they work defeat the whole idea of having one!

Only if someone who sees pictures on this thread can be bothered to seek out the exact car in question and steal the keys.

Which, given that Sharp is from Hungary, is probably not so much of a worry for him.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
Only if someone who sees pictures on this thread can be bothered to seek out the exact car in question and steal the keys.

Which, given that Sharp is from Hungary, is probably not so much of a worry for him.

permission to laugh here please mark? lol lol lol lol

Sharp

heh, i was afraid that this was a potential problem.... well i'm sure i can come up with a good location for the switch, but is it as simple as finding and cutting the ignition wire and adding a switch in series or does it mess with the computer or are there any unforseen problems....(that i have not seen:blink: )

and as pointed out, my motivation behind this is that my car for some reason did not come with an alarm and the car theft rates are on the high side in Hungary so i was just thinking of some solutions, the way i see it this will be a good solution because i only have the stock sound system in the car which no one would want to steal and i don't leave any valuables in sight, that leaves only one motivation to break into the car....and thats the theft of the car, and this to me seems to be more efective then a blaring alarm however it lacks the deterent value that an alarm has...:think:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
2 birds with one stone.do revo do a program for your car?get it re-mapped and have an added immobiliser.again thats if they do one for your shiny new car at the moment

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
The simple answer here is get Revo and an SPS3.

When I got married the 'first' time I had a black Mk1 Cooper S that had had a lot of love. It had a hidden cutout switch under the driver's seat. We didn't have any older people at the wedding. The car looked good with white ribbons. My best mate was best man and his older brother (also a mate) gave my 'first' wife away - I let him use my car to bring her to the church.

Result - bride 50 minutes late for wedding - reason - cutout switch :hide:

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire

Im sure he wouldnt be bothered anyway as its not his car! But people who did the mod would! Why would they need to steal keys when you have detailed your security devices on here so they can plan how to take the car! Good job no one steals cars then in that case!

MarkE

Acceptable in the 80s
Jul 20, 2003
Lancaster
www.markeaston.org
Im sure he wouldnt be bothered anyway as its not his car! But people who did the mod would! Why would they need to steal keys when you have detailed your security devices on here so they can plan how to take the car! Good job no one steals cars then in that case!

I'm sure there are people who could understand what you've posted there.

I'm off to ask them to explain.

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Get Revo and get a 'select switch'. this contains the anti-theft option on it.

Sharp

heh, as much i like this option, you guys forgot that i mentioned LOW COST in my original post!!:bleh:
and my prob is that mine is a 1.6L Stylance and there is no revo software for it, not to mention no dealer in this part of Europe

Last edited by a moderator:

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
In my other car I have a push button starter.. this means when you turn the key the ignition comes on but won't engage the starter. The fact that the button is not that easy to spot people just think that an immobiliser is working. I always have to explain to garages when I leave it with them otherwise I get a phone call. saying my cars broken ;)

This could maybe help you as it's a cool mod, adds some security and is the safest bet as if it fails generally all you have to is replace a fuse. I want one in my new car as well.

Sharp

leon1p, any details on the wiring? i'm sure i can find a creative place to place the button, but i would like to know more about the wiring. I really like the idea!
Thanks
Shalil

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
I believe there is only three wires required.. one an earth and the others to your ignition barrel. The button operates a relay which allows the higher current to safely send power to the starter via the ignition.

Mine is one of the Richbrook Pro start ones which are about £35 but you could probably find the same switch for much less and source a relay for much cheapness. They have the Richbrook ones on ebay but not much cheaper than most reputable suppliers.

Also the red collar is just that.. it can be removed leaving only the push switch, you could even have the push switch on show with a hidden kill switch to break the switch wiring.

charlievarley

The simple answer here is get Revo and an SPS3.

When I got married the 'first' time I had a black Mk1 Cooper S that had had a lot of love. It had a hidden cutout switch under the driver's seat. We didn't have any older people at the wedding. The car looked good with white ribbons. My best mate was best man and his older brother (also a mate) gave my 'first' wife away - I let him use my car to bring her to the church.

Result - bride 50 minutes late for wedding - reason - cutout switch :hide:

Oh sorry but I was crying with laughter for 5 mins over this post....

too funny DPJ :cartman:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.