Anyone had experience with black smoke remaps?

Dan FR

Meth addict. Stage 2+ Yo!
Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
Depends what you mean by too good to be true.

It is a very crudely written generic remap. It will give you a decent power increase (though not quite as much as is claimed). The 180hp map is quite aggressive in terms of boost levels and anything other than an excellent condition turbo/vnt will likely result in overboost and a short lived turbo. Throttle control is pretty much on/off etc etc.

Not to mention that if you get the flashing part wrong using the cheap MPPS clone and you don't have the means to recover the ECU then you'll be without a car etc.

If your car is healthy and you have no issues flashing the map, then bang for buck it's pretty much unbeatable

6ltdisport

Jan 25, 2015
Mpps has a recovery mode if it does go wrong I'm just struggling to find one that works with Windows 10. Reviews all seem positive about the maps. I know a generic map won't be as good as a custom map but the price difference is huge so it's pretty tempting

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
I'm well aware of MPPS functionality but 'Recovery mode' isn't a guarantee that it will recover from a failed write. The cheap v13 clones work fine on Windows 10 (both X86 and X64) but it can be a potch to get them working...I'd highly recommend booting to Windows 7 (even if from a USB drive etc.) and running it on Win7.

6ltdisport

Jan 25, 2015
He does offer to fix the ecu for by sending it off to him. Not sure how long that would take being one day without a car is frustrating enough lol. I'm still on 2 minds but generic map should be fine since there's no other mods on the car

Last edited:

Dan FR

Nov 14, 2013
Caerdydd
I've no doubts Andrew will help you out and recover the ECU worst case, but you're talking 3 days minimum including postal turnaround times - just something to bear in mind.

If you want to know whether it will be ok, get yourself VCDS and do some datalogging to check that boost control is safe. That'll be the only worry - ageing turbos have slow or partially seized VNTs which can cause serious overboost issues.

6ltdisport

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks for the advice but these days I can black smoke never seems to want to answer his phone. I rang him loads of time and then same on the second day. I text him and then he rang me back later in the day. I don't know if his always like that these days or just those couple of days his been that busy but it's the one thing that was putting me off

6ltdisport

Jan 25, 2015
Well if it messes up I might make a thread about it if he can't help me sort it but that's a last resort I wouldn't like to give someone a bad rep without giving them a chance

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise