Anyone know what effect being a Cat C on cars value?

payney24

Hi, pretty much as the title says, does anyone know what effect on the value of my leon being a cat C repaired vehicle will have?

payney24

thats good, pretty much what i was thinking around the 20-25% mark.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
* Category A: Scrap only (i.e. with few or no economically salvageable parts and which is of value only for scrap metal
* Category B: Break for spare parts if economically viable (excluding any residual scrap value)
* Category C: Repairable total loss vehicles where repair costs including VAT exceed the vehicle's pre-accident value
* Category D: Repairable total loss vehicle where repair costs including VAT do not exceed the vehicle's pre-accident value

payney24

When a car gets written off it get given a catagory depending on the severity of the damage. A and B have suffered major damage and can only be sold to breakers to be sold as parts. C and D can be repaired and put back on the road, think there is also a cat E not 100% what that is but i think it might be stolen recovered.

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
When a car gets written off it get given a catagory depending on the severity of the damage. A and B have suffered major damage and can only be sold to breakers to be sold as parts. C and D can be repaired and put back on the road, think there is also a cat E not 100% what that is but i think it might be stolen recovered.

Stolen recoverd are usualy D. D doesnt require a VIC check to be put back on the road, cat C does. Cat d is usualy the repair does not exceed the value of the car but its not an economical repair to make, i.e sills, boot floors etc due to man hours invloved. Cat C is where it exceeds the value of the vehicle.

payney24

Stolen recoverd are usualy D. D doesnt require a VIC check to be put back on the road, cat C does. Cat d is usualy the repair does not exceed the value of the car but its not an economical repair to make, i.e sills, boot floors etc due to man hours invloved. Cat C is where it exceeds the value of the vehicle.

Ok, i stand corrected. i must have been miss informed.

:confused:

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
There is one cat F i thnik wich is if its been damaged by fire or theft and the car hasnt been recoverd. As far as i know insurance companies wont pay out on a car F vehicle even if the previous owner never told you. So its upto the new buyer to do checks. I have heard of cat X which i think is where its not recorded damaged, so where the company have paid out for reapir.

Tonybeau

I had a cat D car as my last motor and although the repair had been done well I found it a problem when trying to sell it on. A lot of car dealers don't want insurance write offs on the forecourt and will simply put the car to auction (they will give you less for it when trading in)

Also when people phone about the car and youhave to tell them it's been a cat D it instantly puts a lot of people off.

Although there may be nothing wrong with the car if it has been repaired well I wouldn't touch one again as it's just too much hassle.

payney24

i might be in a bit of a sticky situation then, owned the car for 5 years, was accident damaged on 25th Dec 2008, hit an obstruction in the road, no one else involved, damaged the passenger side front floor pan. The insurance assessor said it was a viable repair as there was very little damage but as the model is no longer in production they were unable to get a new replacement part. as insurance companys must use new parts he very reluctanly wrote it off giving it a catagory C as it was the floor pan that was damaged. i bought it back and put it back on road. so do people think i'll have trouble trying to part exchange or sell it on now. even for a redced price??

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
so do people think i'll have trouble trying to part exchange or sell it on now. even for a redced price??

Erm yes. But priced right it will sell eventually.

Just be honest in your advert.

You had the benefit of getting the car back on the road for less than your payout (otherwise why would you) but don't expect to claw it all back when you sell it on.

60% of what it would otherwise be worth, assuming you can evidence the damage that was done, and that it was repaired properly.

Floorpan damage? What were you thinking though! Should have taken the cheque, bought the car & sold it in parts!

payney24

Floorpan damage? What were you thinking though! Should have taken the cheque, bought the car & sold it in parts!

A friend of mine is a panel beater by trade, the floor had a slit in it, i compleatly stripped all the interior out so i could remove the carpet. then we/he just knocked it back in to shape and seam welded it. put the interior back in, new sub frame and dog bone mount and it was done.

So do you think stripping and selling the bits might be a better option then?? would it be worth more in bits??:confused:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Easily.. What did you pay for the car from the insurers? £1500? Hopefully £1000.

Engine is £500, up to £1000 with loom, keys, ECU. Gearbox £300, wheels, brakes, steering rack all easily saleable.

But since you've repaired it you might as well just run it into the ground. It owes you nothing as I guess you made a bit back on it?

payney24

Easily.. What did you pay for the car from the insurers? £1500? Hopefully £1000.

Engine is £500, up to £1000 with loom, keys, ECU. Gearbox £300, wheels, brakes, steering rack all easily saleable.

But since you've repaired it you might as well just run it into the ground. It owes you nothing as I guess you made a bit back on it?

it was under a grand buy back, i know it stands me at pretty much nothing now but i've had it 5 years and are fancying a change. (got my eye on an LCR i've seen) i've thought about stripping it especialy as there wasn't/isn't any body damage, plus it's got the full electric leather, but dont really have anywhere to do it. i,ve got a garage but once it no longer drives i'm pretty much stuffed for moving it.

so reallisticlly i'd be looking upwards of £2000 stripping it?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'd just try & flog it if it's otherwise OK. Especially if you don't have the space to break it.

Just be honest about the damage on the advert, people will get aweful pissed if they pay for an HPI to tell them

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.