anyone understand the auto choke system?

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
my problem is, when cold starting the car does not idle, i have to keep my foot on the accelerator pedel (even when braking for some lights i need to take it out of gear then left foot brake while keeping the car from cutting out due to not idleing properly,

when the car is warm it will idle at what ever i set it to using the clip on the throttle cable, please, this is really getting to me and i cant afford to take it to a garage, so any help will be appeceated.

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
check this vid out, bit confusing what this part is, or does......

as you can see in the video, when i covered the little copper pipe, yes it stops the sucking noise, but it also stops idleing and dies untill i uncover the pipe. also in the video i covered the inlet valve, this shows that when the valve is covered it does NOT stop idleing.

i followed the (what i thought was a fuel line) pipe that was on the copper pipe to where it when to and got pics of where they lead to and would liek to know what they are and what they do????

DSC00275.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sucking air in at a guess if that pipe is out in the open

looks like the black box is a charcoal cannister - ill fire it up in a sec and have a look

what's ya engine code ?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Yeah thats the charcoal can.

Connected to purge valve and fuel tank.

thought it might be :) cheers

the brass pipe you see should be pipe connected to the valve shown in the pic and the other side of that goes to the larger pipe on the black canister (outer one)

the smaller middle pipe joins a connector to a pipe in the filler neck above the tank

to stop fumes building up in the tank the pipe is used to keep a balance of pressure and the vapours are absorbed by the charcoal cannister.

once it's running they are sucked in through the valve to the pipe on the throttle body to be burnt off as letting em loose in the air is not good

the valve balances the flow as all engines need a controlled air/fuel mix to run smoothly

having the brass pipe open = too much air / blocking it means too little and both of which is going to affect tickover for sure so make sure they are all rigged up right and not leaking

back to the cold running issues :) next post

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
in the good old days cars had a manual choke you pulled and pushed blocking air as needed until warm

most modern car ecu's will instead overfuel on cold startup effectively choking the engine of air keeping it running 'normal' until warmed up.

to tell what fuel and air is needed and when, the ecu will read off various sensors inlet temp/mass air flow/manifold pressure/lambda amongst others all going like crazy but when cold it relies on a water temp sensor (inj temp) to tell it what temperature the engine is at and with clever thinking it works out what fuel/air etc it needs

if the inj temp sensor isn't reading right, and they are known to be faulty a lot, the ecu will act one of two different ways

it will run fine cold and overfuel when warm - temp sensor is saying its cold

it will run crap when cold but be fine when warm - temp sensor is saying it's warm

your AEE is possibly monomotronic (single point injection) so will have, i would imagine, a round 4 pin sensor in the top of the housing the radiator hose connects to - usually clipped in and black with a yellow ring

2 pins run the gauge (keep eye on that) other 2 send ecu a signal

it's relatively cheap and for a cold start problem like yours i would suggest changing or at least testing that first

once you get rid of any possible air leak problems first mind or you'll be on a hiding to nowhere :)

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
4 point /direct injection engine not single point injection the Aee engine is but thanks for the reply will test all the sensors when i can get a chance!

junkman55

idle problem at cold

Hi i see you had a idle problem when cold did you manage to fix it as i have exactly the same symptoms. The last post i see you got was to replace water (inj temp) sensor.

Hope you can help
junkman55

junkman55

idle valve control

did you manage to free exsisting idle valve or buy new one if so how much are they

thanks
junkman55

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.