Anyone with a 40mm Drop Read This Please!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I know we all hate the suspension question, myself more than anyone lol

BUT!

Ordered Koni Sport Adjustable shocks with a 40mm drop.... Right! I fitted them saturday and the car looks more standard height than lowered. Got onto Koni today and gave them the part numbers on the spring (Front 077, Rear 036)...... they are the correct springs I should have.

HOWEVER because the "Cupra Sport" is 15mm lower than a standard Ibiza, it will only lower my Ibiza by 25mm. Looked on larkspeed web site again (where I got the kit from) and it states 35>40mm, got in touch with them and they knew about it only lowering 25mm but I was never told when payin for them!

So you people with a 40mm drop could you please let me know what springs you have got? I know someone on here got a Copper Ibiza with the same kit I got and it looks more like a 50mm drop than 40mm but mine looks standard lol!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
pics? and where did you get it from? :)

Larkspeed just asked for me to measure from the centre of the wheel to the arch..... 360mm front and 370mm at the rear so it's a 10mm differance there, not gonna tell them it's striped out wiv jus a cage lol

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Dave, dont know if this will help mate but

The white 8v is on 40mm drop Spax springs and the blue 16v is sitting on a TA Tech 70mm drop.

015-1.jpg

014.jpg

hope it helps mate

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
my springs were for mk2/mk3 1.4/1.6&1.8. and seeing as the only 1.8 mk3 is the 20vt (heavier than my car) I figured they should be ok. i'll get some pics up soon for you, having big trouble starting the beast now!

captin_urbis

Not a Member
Dec 2, 2008
Lancashire
unlucky dave, how much would you sell your standard shocks for?? iv got proper bad love susspension and want something abit more substancial, with my top mounts being ****ed as well could do with some new ones.

orangemuffin i love your sig, where on earth is it? and how did you manage to get it parked next to the fighter jet??

Novataken

8v on Bike carbs ;)
Jul 30, 2008
Scunthorpe
i use to have the 40mm koni springs and shock.. it stiffend the car up abit... but i did not notice a 40mm drop.. maybe 20

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
thanks orangemuffin but think a bigger pic be better :) Would be happy with a 40mm drop but the 20 odd i got now is takin the p*ss lol.

Project....where did u get the springs from and could you possibly measure from the centre of your wheel to the arch please? Wanna compare the differeance to mine.

Urbis, I havent got the standard shocks... went from fk coilovers to these koni's.

Wanna know if anyone got koni sport shocks with a 40mm drop because I know someone on here had this kit and it looked more of a 50mm drop lol

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
I bought the springs on the gaybay, second hand but never used. i'll have to measure tomorrow though fella cos it's shite outside! looked like this when I first did it, it's dropped a bit more since mind

21122008506.jpg

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
40mm all round on weitecs orignally abit dissapointed and then wished id gone 60/40 or 60/60 but i think now i kinda of prefere it, its not obvious but it handles so much better.
P.S its on 15's

lowered.jpg

looking at it now, that pic was taken first day i fitted them, does look ever so slightly lower now but its still definatly not 40mm

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right lowering the car 40mm is harder than it seems!

I have rung Koni again, AVO and Weitec!

Looked on all of their web sites and all state 40mm drop on the Cupra Sport / GTi, Weitec also show 60/40mm............

Rung them all up to double check because they are classed different to the 1.2, 1.4 & 1.6's so thought great they lower it by what they show! NO [:@]

Everyone of them said that it doesn't because the Cupra Sport / GTi are 15mm lower than the 1.4's and the springs they supply are the same ones that they use on the smaller engines! So would give a 40mm on a 1.4 but the very same spring is used for the 2.0 (which is already 15mm lower) giving a 25mm drop!

Who the hell wants a 25mm drop! Why are they showing 40mm when it doesn't!!! Making the choice to go to shocks and springs was a bad one, nothing but headache since, and AVO don't make the springs for the Ibiza anymore.

I'm thinking there is gonna be some work on the car to take one front spring off and one rear spring and then a road trip up to Faulkner and ask them to copy the Koni one I have but make it shorter!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
binned the folded up red ones that were on mine and stuck Eibachs all round

ill get a pic later as i think they were listed at 40mm

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I think 60mm would be spot on... cos the car is stripped so I wouldn't mind it raising slight. Flapper if you could check and let me know where you got them from? Only eibach ones I've found are 25mm.

Phil you working Friday? Fancy a road trip to Faulkner? It's a 3 and half hour drive away, gonna take them a front and rear koni spring and get them to make me a copy (maybe a bit more poundage) and shorter! Will need the company on the drive, I finish half day on friday so let me know!

Oh and I'm up your way tomorrow and got the c spanners in my car for you!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members