Anyone with a 40mm Drop Read This Please!

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
waiting two more weeks for the spax 60mm springs and went to change my discs and pads and one of the dust seals on my brembos are f*cked so getting them re-con this week!

Oh and got a new run around
DSCF1324-1.jpg

DSCF1325-1.jpg

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
No problems Alpine.... From the front ones they were 40mm for a 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 & 2.0 bit when I emailed asking they send they are some listed for the GTi/Cupra Sport for 30/20mm but the ones you got were still a 3 week wait :(

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
are the makeing some new ones up for you?looks nice the passat!what yu done with the mondeo?

Be honest if I had Faulkner make some up it would take just as long as Spax and I know I would like to have more poundage on the springs if I had Faulkner do them but I don't really know much about suspension set ups in that way and would rather ones designed for the car.

I'm gonna start looking into someone would can set the Koni's up to how I would like them, gonna have a go myself.... got a rough idea but it would be good to have someone who knows it inside and out to do the set up and I would like a good chat about it to.

The Mondeo is up for sale soon after my bruv decided if he wants it back or not but if it is it's going for £1000 :)

The passat is a 130 pd lump remapped to 172bhp so happy with that [B)]

OllieL

2.0 16v Cupra Sport GTi
Dec 10, 2006
Birmingham
The Pissrat looks good mate, for some reason I have a hankering for an estate slammed on its arse
Re-map transforms it too!!
Any Luck with your suspension then?

Ollie

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
One more week of waiting after this week!

Went to change my discs and pads and found that one of the dust seals on the brembos had gone so getting them re-con'd and sprayed up! :)

Should really update my project thread lmao.... too much to type up I think!

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
i know sounds daft and i know you dont realy realy have the cash but what abot a fully adjustable set up with bump/rebound and adjusrable top mounts to do caster/camber etc? then you can get it to how you want!

ollie mine estate maybe up for sale at the right price!

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Seen my bank balance have you? lol

I can afford that sort of suspension set up but thats just getting too technical and could be too much to set up for my knowledge and tbh I can't jutify spending that much on the suspension on the Ibiza, I'm not doing rallies or any sort of series racing, etc.... just track day fun! I could pick up another Ibiza and have spare cash for the price lol.

Basically after the respray it's gonna be finished, unless I end up deciding tb's but thats another story hehe.

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Right a lil update!!!

Got my Spax 60mm lowering springs last week, since it was sunny this afternoon went to fit them after fixing the passat cos it blew a boost pipe off hehe.

Took the Koni shocks off the car, removed the Koni spring and placed the Spax ones in place..... built the suspension back up, placed the bump stop on then the spring top plate, went to put the bearing on and the bearing sat about 25mm higher than the plate so it's no where near the plate to compress the spring! :censored:

If I built it all up the spring would just move around and is not compressed in anyway.... basically the Koni shock is too long for the 60mm springs :confused:

I know when the weight of the car is on the springs it will compress but if I was ever to get 4 wheel lift off :whistle: The spring would just move where ever it liked, to be that is not good and def not safe!

Soooooo rung Koni see about the coilover kit, said Ibiza 96-99 except Cupra Sport and Diesel [:@]

Thinking Bilstein coilovers now.

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
And if anyone got a standard height Cupra be it 8v or 16v could you place measure from the centre of the wheel to for arch please?

Thanks you ;)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Sorry Dave I might be having a slight lapse in memory but I'm sure your car was slammed for the past 2years or so. Or am I missing something?

All I can say is I can 100% recommend some GAZ coilovers if they pop up on Ebay. I got mine, fully adjustable including damping all for about £100.

Mig

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Did have FK Coilovers but I set them too low and f*ucked the arches on the front, can't adjust them either cos they been like that fir 3 years lmao!

I'm gettin Bilstein, the car is used more for track.... was thinking of the Pss9's (B16) but way too much adjustment for me, can be a good thing if set up well but if not then I'm giving myself more problems.

End of the day you get what you pay, £100 Gaz coilovers... cheap but they cheap for a reason specially when bilstein height only adjustment are £950!

Heads gone with the car, it's becoming more of a money pit than I expected so not gonna think about the costs no more :)

Last edited:

abhardwaj1990

Yes, I'm licking my hand
Mar 16, 2009
Shottingham
Hi guys, thought I'd post on here rather than making a new thread seek as it's a similar subject :p

I'm about to buy a set of koni springs and shocks, 2nd hand, have done 15,000, but for a good price.
I've been speaking to the owner and he said they lower about 50-60mm all round. I'm rolling on 17s, Iveheard that 60 on the front is alright, only rubbing on full lock, but what about the back? Is 60 to much?is it worth getting 40mm springs?

R French

Dave - Might have seen this too late. I've got a brand new set of Eibach Pro springs that I have never used, fitted the fronts to the car and couldn't handle the drop so took em off again. Rears still in the placcie bags and all in the shiney box. For an idea, the fronts on the car with std 16" wheels meant you could just get your hand between the tyre and arch say a 20mm gap. I think that it was ~40mm drop as these are specifically for the Cupras or "models with sports suspension".
pm me if you want em for a sensible fee.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.