Anything worth changing when fitting coilovers?

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
I'm looking to have some coilovers fitted (as soon as i've decided which ones) and i was wondering whether there are any component i should be looking to change while I've got the suspension off? Possible some new top mounts?

Thanks in advance

Jim

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
yeah, give the wishbone bushes a looking over.

Not sure whether they're already the uprated type in the LCR, but if not, the TT ones are a common upgrade for the rear wishbone bushes.

andycupra

status subject to change
are you getting them fitted at AMD?- in which case they will probably advice fitting all those suggested above anyway and tend to have these in stock..

If you are advised to get something replaced as its 'knackered' or 'worn out' make sure you stick around and ask to see evidence.

Last edited:

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
are you getting them fitted at AMD?- in which case they will probably advice fitting all those suggested above anyway and tend to have these in stock..

If you are advised to get something replaced as its 'knackered' or 'worn out' make sure you stick around and ask to see evidence.

I'm toying with the idea of getting it fittted at AMD, although i have a mechanic (trusted friend) who can fit it for me and save me a few pennies. He's an honest guy so he wont try to rip me off.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
yeah, give the wishbone bushes a looking over.

Not sure whether they're already the uprated type in the LCR, but if not, the TT ones are a common upgrade for the rear wishbone bushes.

Only problem being that you need a hydraulic press to fit them properly. If the wishbone rear bushes need done, it needs to be done with a hydraulic press or a vice using the proper bush collars.

Its worth getting the experience because you'll be changing them frequently if you lower the suspension.

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Only problem being that you need a hydraulic press to fit them properly. If the wishbone rear bushes need done, it needs to be done with a hydraulic press or a vice using the proper bush collars.

Its worth getting the experience because you'll be changing them frequently if you lower the suspension.

This isn't as much of a problem with the LCR because the wishbones sit much flatter than on the rest of the range with the mkiv suspension set up at the front. Mine is low, really low, and my wishbones are not far off level - check out phillc 's thread, he recently switched out his wishbones to LCR type ones for this reason.

JamJay

California Bound
It is, but it makes the front end a bit stiff and crashy for my liking. Ok for a track car but I don't like it on my everyday driver.

This true but there appears to be little compromise between the two. Well I say that but i'm taking my own direction here, opting for a strengthened rubber bush rather than a polybush. Much the same concept as THS's dogbone mounts except I have had to dig through many German manufacturers to find what I am after, i'm just waiting for a sample of the bush to arrive before I decide if it's what I want.

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Let us know how you get on with those mate, I'd be interested in some of these. I just paid £115 to have two wishbone rear bushes replaced and the alignment done. I don't plan on doing that too often if its avoidable.

JamJay

California Bound
Let us know how you get on with those mate, I'd be interested in some of these. I just paid £115 to have two wishbone rear bushes replaced and the alignment done. I don't plan on doing that too often if its avoidable.

Sure thing! I'm hoping to get them this week so I can measure then up and see if they'll fit in the LCR arms but i'm sure they will do a set for Golf/Jetta/LC arms too. I'm unsure of the brand TBH as they're coming through my Dads suppliers who are getting them from their German suppliers...very long winded :D.

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester

Waiting for my powrflex wishbone bushes to come through so i can do some rebushing
Many seem to have problems rebushing but i figured an easy way to do the rears which i will turn into a guide when i do them
I did Phillc's with bits in my workshop, and made a tool for doing the larger bush too

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.