AP Racing Caliper Seized Pins!!!!!!!

g0dd3rz

Evening all

Any advice is very much welcome...

Went to Awesome-GTI today to get some work done on my ibiza cupra tdi including new front discs and pads and found out that the front caliper pins were completely seized up.

From reading this forum I was already aware that these calipers were a bit hit and miss with this problem.

The guys at awesome (Dealt with Al mainly) were all great and gave me 2 options...

1) Get the Caliper pins machined out at a cost of approx £200
2) Ditch the AP's in favour of some single pot Audi TT (quattro?) calipers (still 312mm discs) for considerably less than option 1.

I've decided to go for option 2 as there is no guarantee the pins wouldn't seize up again on the AP's due to the poor design (Ally and Steel from what i've read)

Anyone any experience of the TT calipers? and will I really notice a difference in breaking performance?... gutted to have to lose the AP's but I don't see keeping them as a viable option.

Cheers

Lee

g0dd3rz

£200 is a huge amount of machining time......

Hi Mork...

I think £200 was worst case...

Would love to keep the car factoy (AP's) but don't wanna be sting each time discs/pads need changing.

Matt-V5-Duffy

Parts, parts, parts...
Oct 6, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Hi Mork...

I think £200 was worst case...

Would love to keep the car factoy (AP's) but don't wanna be sting each time discs/pads need changing.

A bit of copper grease / anti-seize on the mating surfaces between the pin and calliper would stop any reaction between the alu and steel so you wouldn't need to spend mad money every pad change :)

g0dd3rz

Any thoughts on what a seat dealer would say if I asked them to change the discs and pads and they found out they were seized?

Deekster

Has anyone found any online companies that sell the caliper pins? Or does anyone know who takes the calipers to refurbish them...I think my calipers are seized...

g0dd3rz

Update...FYI

So decided to stay standard and take the hit.... took my ibiza to seat hobin of bury...

excellent servic4 by the way...

£80 per disc and £90 for the pads + £100 labour + vat (fixed) - the guy couldnt believe it either!!!

Unfortunately the pins were goosed and ended up needing the kit to replace pins and shims...

all in all £536 including a brake fluid change.

gutted but Happy in the end its all still standard as the brakes are so sharp....my ibiza wants for nothing....:lol:

awesome can do a audi quattro coversion which sounded promising but i think the brakes (even though a shoddy design) make the car....

no grief please... :)

Willsy33

I bent my Wookie!
Dec 20, 2011
The Shire of Leicester
Glad you're happy, but that does seem slightly expensive to replace discs and pads. Having said that, it is a dealer and I normally change mine myself so save a few quid.

T18_MPA

Mar 3, 2012
North East
Just found out that mgf/tf rataining pins fit our seat sport brakes, these seem to be easier to find and at a fraction of the cost of what the stealers want for their 'kits' hope this helps a few folk out on here :)

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
Just found out that mgf/tf rataining pins fit our seat sport brakes, these seem to be easier to find and at a fraction of the cost of what the stealers want for their 'kits' hope this helps a few folk out on here :)

Have you tried these MG pins yet? Got a part number if they fit ok?

T18_MPA

Mar 3, 2012
North East
No doubt they will be, glad i found out that they fit or id be nackered as i wouldnt be paying no £80 for the seat fitting kit

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.