Apple CarPlay/Spotify Problem

Aug 12, 2019
Birmingham
Plugged my iPhone in this morning, it connected absolutely fine, went on Spotify, looked like it was playing, but wasn’t. I’d had the radio on before and the radio just stayed on. Am I missing something obvious or is there a problem here?

It’s a 2017 Leon ST, I’ve only had the car a day and not had anything with CarPlay before, so apologies if I’m just being thick! Works fine on Bluetooth, and other apps (Google Maps) seem to work fine, just Spotify not cutting in and playing.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I had this morning too, but turned out it was low signal and worked fine when I chose a playlist already downloaded.

I’m using iOS 13 beta 5 though with the updated airplay that looks a million times better too.

Dudders07

Nov 5, 2013
This is a well known problem with Spotify. This is not just a Leon issue. I find disconnecting the lightning cable and then reinserting it sorts it out. Sometimes it takes more than onc try to get it working correctly.

Aug 12, 2019
Birmingham
Thanks for the quick response. Driving up to Nottingham later so will try pulling the cable and reconnecting. Did it with the phone earlier but it the actual cable!

Aug 12, 2019
Birmingham
I had this morning too, but turned out it was low signal and worked fine when I chose a playlist already downloaded.

I’m using iOS 13 beta 5 though with the updated airplay that looks a million times better too.

How do you get the Beta of iOS? May be up for giving that a try just out of curiosity!

Alorjosh

Apr 23, 2019
East Anglia
I find every time a iOS update. Mine freezes intermittent and goes mute. Few days or trips later everything is back normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yeah, when I went from iOS 10 to 11, it stopped working with my old 280. That was MIB1 and an MDI port. With iOS 10 I had album artwork and full control via the Audi cable I’d bought. Then iOS11 used to crash the unit. It was only when testing my work phone and my wife’s phone that hadn’t moved to iOS11 that I realised. So soon as iOS 12 beta came out about 10 minutes the later I was in it and it solved whatever the issue was.

Now I have the Carbon I was really disappointed with CarPlay and the music. The album artwork was gone (well hidden in the background) and the screen just looked like VTech had come up with a child’s “‘my first MP3 player”. When I heard CarPlay 2 on iOS 13 was coming I moved to the beta straight away.

First few were buggy with a few apps and the keyboard, but 5 was really good. On version 6 as of right now and not noticed any of few issues I had on 5 which is great.

Dark mode and Car Play 2 on iOS 13 are well worth it IMO

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Yeah, when I went from iOS 10 to 11, it stopped working with my old 280. That was MIB1 and an MDI port. With iOS 10 I had album artwork and full control via the Audi cable I’d bought. Then iOS11 used to crash the unit. It was only when testing my work phone and my wife’s phone that hadn’t moved to iOS11 that I realised. So soon as iOS 12 beta came out about 10 minutes the later I was in it and it solved whatever the issue was.

Now I have the Carbon I was really disappointed with CarPlay and the music. The album artwork was gone (well hidden in the background) and the screen just looked like VTech had come up with a child’s “‘my first MP3 player”. When I heard CarPlay 2 on iOS 13 was coming I moved to the beta straight away.

First few were buggy with a few apps and the keyboard, but 5 was really good. On version 6 as of right now and not noticed any of few issues I had on 5 which is great.

Dark mode and Car Play 2 on iOS 13 are well worth it IMO
One thing I really miss with iOS is album art in the MIB, none of that over Bluetooth with Android, can't even change shuffle and repeat options over BT on the MIB.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
One thing I really miss with iOS is album art in the MIB, none of that over Bluetooth with Android, can't even change shuffle and repeat options over BT on the MIB.
Yeah that’s what stopped me going to Android when I got my iPhone 7 (that and they made the 7 waterproof). I couldn’t believe with the cable you couldn’t even access tracks.

On the latest MIB2 you can even do it via Bluetooth with the iPhone.

I’m not an Apple militant fan, it’s more work that means most of the stuff I have is Apple. I like android stuff, but sometimes Apple is just simpler for stuff like this. Even though it’s gone to **** since Steve Jobs passed.

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Yeah that’s what stopped me going to Android when I got my iPhone 7 (that and they made the 7 waterproof). I couldn’t believe with the cable you couldn’t even access tracks.

On the latest MIB2 you can even do it via Bluetooth with the iPhone.

I’m not an Apple militant fan, it’s more work that means most of the stuff I have is Apple. I like android stuff, but sometimes Apple is just simpler for stuff like this. Even though it’s gone to **** since Steve Jobs passed.
Completely agree, was blown away by the camera on the Pixel 3 so copped one of them but was heartbroken when naff all worked on the MIB. I loved my 6S but it was time for something new and the 7 seemed like a pointless upgrade and the 8's and X's were far too much a month for my liking. Still, I don't mind using Android Auto and the recent makeover it's had is really nice so I just use that to manage my music and the normal MIB functions for everything else.

I do agree that Apple have gone down since Jobs died, there's not really anything that's been all that mind blowing, bar their recent stunt of the £1000 monitor stand which was mind blowing for all the wrong reasons.

Aug 12, 2019
Birmingham
So in the end I just used Bluetooth yesterday. Will give CarPlay another try today or tomorrow.

Looked up the Beta testing on iOS, CarPlay 2 layout looks really good. Turns out my iPhone 6 Plus won’t be supported for iOS 13 though new phone time then...

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.