Apple's iTouch and Cupra's iPod adapter

Xe

I don't know about Seat's version, but my Dension iPod ICE>Link Plus (iPod dock) works perfect with iTouch and the iPhone :)

rrpalma

Dec 24, 2002
Visit site
thanks.

but i was wondering about the original seat version. my old ipod broke, and my cupra is arriving in a few weeks (got the ipod option for "free" :) ) and need to get a new ipod.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Nope, doesn't work. Well actually it probably does! Let me explain, they stick the iPod adaptor under the drivers seat. Now the standard slot is the correct size for the original hard drive based iPods, like my U2 iPod.

The car comes with a selection of adaptors that slot into the larger slot to make small ipod like nano's and mini's fit the port. However the iPod Touch is around the same width as a normal iPod, but much thinner and a bit longer. So it doesn't line up with the connection port, and even if it did the door that closes up under the seat, won't close because the touch is that bit longer. Drawback being the first time you brake the iPod will fly out into the foot well. :p

It would of been better if they had the iPod adaptor loose in the glovebox or somewhere more accessible. However the iPod adaptor isn't that great in practice, its that versatile at handling tracks and playlists. You can only have a maximum of 6 playlists, so its just like a CD Changer link in that regard.

You'd be better not getting the iPod adaptor, and just using the aux stereo jack, and connect the ipod through the headphone jack.

Xe

I've heard the headphone jack has poor sound quality, plus you cant use the steering wheel controls/buttons.

Thats unfortunate that the iTouch/iPhone does not fit the Seat iPod option, however we still don't know if it actually works if plugged in.

Are you sure you can only have 6 iPod playlists on the Seat version? I don't seem to have a limit, have about 20 playlist working at the moment. Instead of using the headunit 1-6 buttons to choose the first lot of playlists, you just keep scrolling through to the the other playlists, and you can see the names on the actual iPod screen.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Is your ICE link located under your drivers seat in a special slot?

Because the factory SEAT iPod kit is.

Which means.

1. You can't see the Ipod. I've heard there is supposed to be functions on the Ipod on ICE links. However if you can't physically see or access the iPod when connected your a bit stuffed.

2. It can only fit what it can fit, the touch won't line up and I don't fancy wrecking either the iPod or the slot in the car. :p

Might well be better getting an ICE Link and putting it where you want it.

Not a problem for me, I have my U2 ipod in the car and didn't intend to use the touch in the car anyway.

Last edited:

Xe

No ZBOYD my iPod dock is located under my armrest. So can just lift it up and see the screen (quite handy). I can understand that not being able to see the iPod screen while navigating the menus could be confusing, specially if you wanted to edit the setup options.

There are some pics of mine on the forum if you search for "armrest combo".

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yup as I said, SEAT in their infinite wisdom, stick it in a cubby hole under the drivers seat where you can't access it. I like the idea of neatness with it out of the way, but if you can't use the setup functions its a bit pointless really. Nice one SEAT. :D

Might have a look at some point to see if we can detach the cable and port from the cubby hole and re-route it into my armrest. :think: I guess it depends if it's moulded into the storage space.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The aux in sound quality is crap. When you accelerate you get a whirry noise through the speakers that perfectly matches the pitch of the revs :(

Scott

Needs an inline sound suppressor of some form. You could get them for RCA leads, when connecting amps, wonder if something is suitable to attach to the aux in. :think:

I think the ground loops on the standard headunits is arse, much better if it bypassed everything and went direct to the battery.

Last edited:

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Needs an inline sound suppressor of some form. You could get them for RCA leads, when connecting amps, wonder if something is suitable to attach to the aux in. :think:

I think the ground loops on the standard headunits is arse, much better if it bypassed everything and went direct to the battery.

Cool, I'll look into that. Ta m8 :)

Scott

PaulieB

Dec 23, 2007
Edinburgh
I've got the glovebox denison ipod connection, and its a bit dodgy.

Unless im being silly....

The stereo will only play your ON-THE-GO Playlists, and will not display track names. Tried having more than 1 on the go playlist and it didnt seem to work... However i have no manual etc for it, so i could just be doing something wrong.

crashbash

Ipod Touch - quick test

Hi this is my first post so be nice :)

I borrowed a mates Touch yesterday and gave it a VERY quick try.

As per post, touch is too long for the under seat dock...and no suitable adaptor. DOH!

So the factory fitted stuff is no good if u have a touch. (I'd presume same applies to iphone).

However, it does work. I was able to play playlists by hitting 1-6, increase, decrease volume and skip to next track via steering wheel controls.

It did not display the playlist name on the stereo - just track number. shame as I was hoping to be able to scroll the contents of my ipod.

Looks like Ill be getting an ipod classic rather than a touch then. thought Id share to save anyone else in the same situation some cash/agro.

Crasher!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.