approaching 100k and looking to do some maintainence on my car

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
as my cars approaching 100k im interested in having a “big service” done. ive had it for less than 10k so id be more comfortable doing all this stuff so I know its been done. im looking to buy the stuff myself and have a garage do the stuff I cant.

I put big service in quotes because I probably wont be able to do this all in one go when it hits 100k as money is very very tight.

so far ive found these things which would be worth doing/need to be done. would you add/remove anything?

gearbox fluid

flush coolant and

brake fluid

power steering fluid

spark plug wires

brake pads & discs (my back ones need doing but ill do all round

handbrake cables

PCV valve (seems a lot of people mention this)

coil pack (will get the garage to test before buying/replacing)

tyre alignment (I do want to change my tyres but theyre a bit expensive for me atm)

already done:

spark plugs

engine air filter

cabin pollen filter

fuel filter

engine oil/filter

battery

belt & water pump

aux belt (ordered and changing soon)

P2ULW

Nov 7, 2009
Ballymena, Northern Ireland
I've listed what I'd deem to be useful preventative maintenance but IMO there's no need to do the others unless there's a problem. The car has 100k on it, so it's fair to say there will be some issues over time but i'd continue with your normal maintenance and save for those rainy day issues.

gearbox fluid

change coolant

change brake fluid

power steering fluid

back brake pads & discs

Reactions: kanyewest

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Still got the original diverter valve on?

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I've listed what I'd deem to be useful preventative maintenance but IMO there's no need to do the others unless there's a problem. The car has 100k on it, so it's fair to say there will be some issues over time but i'd continue with your normal maintenance and save for those rainy day issues.

gearbox fluid

change coolant

change brake fluid

power steering fluid

back brake pads & discs
ok good point, thanks for the list. i think ill add the handbrake cables as theyre messed up and have the coil packs checked out.

Still got the original diverter valve on?
no idea mate, ill have a look to see if the service book has any mention of it. are there any easy visual checks i can do?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Brake fluid should be changed every other year without fail.
Coolant, as you have had the belt and water pump replaced, I'd be amazed if new VW coolant was not loaded in then, so check.
Diverter valve? Is your car not got the 1.4 16V 75/86/100 petrol engine.
Spark plug wires, I've not had an Ibiza of that age, but my wife's old Polo had COP (Coil On Plug) so no HT wiring at all.
Handbrake cable, is it becoming faulty, if so replace, if not leave alone.
Steering fluid, I can't see any reason to replace that.
Transmission fluid, same as steering fluid.
Brake discs and pads, they should get replaced as and when needed and not based on car mileage.
Coil pack, now it does begin to sound like your car has not got COP and so has HT wiring! (what were SEAT playing at)
Wheel alignment, a proper four wheel alignment change and if necessary adjust is a very good thing to get done, but it does cost a bit to get done correctly, this is not the same as simple front wheels toeing check/adjust.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Brake fluid should be changed every other year without fail.
Coolant, as you have had the belt and water pump replaced, I'd be amazed if new VW coolant was not loaded in then, so check.
Diverter valve? Is your car not got the 1.4 16V 75/86/100 petrol engine.
Spark plug wires, I've not had an Ibiza of that age, but my wife's old Polo had COP (Coil On Plug) so no HT wiring at all.
Handbrake cable, is it becoming faulty, if so replace, if not leave alone.
Steering fluid, I can't see any reason to replace that.
Transmission fluid, same as steering fluid.
Brake discs and pads, they should get replaced as and when needed and not based on car mileage.
Coil pack, now it does begin to sound like your car has not got COP and so has HT wiring! (what were SEAT playing at)
Wheel alignment, a proper four wheel alignment change and if necessary adjust is a very good thing to get done, but it does cost a bit to get done correctly, this is not the same as simple front wheels toeing check/adjust.
regarding diverter value, the car is 1.4 16V 100. does that change anytihng?
noted everything else so thanks man. discs and pads are to be done before march, i just included them in here since ill almost be at 100k by then

sidenote; i got a P0106 error last night. ill get the garage to have a look over next week but may need to buy one of these too:

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/...98621cfaee7b35204661119373110b00730295&000515

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
You could try to wash out your MAP sensor with a mild cleaner like carb cleaner, don't spray directly into it then fill it up with cleaner, finger over the end and shake it, repeat few times, I bought a used one from ebay it was the older type so not a "modified" one like VW fitted back in 2002, it was no better or worse than the original so I left it in and the car was sold with it still fitted.

Diverter valve, I've no idea what he meant, but I'd suspect it only refers to a charged engine - I could be wrong though.

Reactions: kanyewest

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
You could try to wash out your MAP sensor with a mild cleaner like carb cleaner, don't spray directly into it then fill it up with cleaner, finger over the end and shake it, repeat few times, I bought a used one from ebay it was the older type so not a "modified" one like VW fitted back in 2002, it was no better or worse than the original so I left it in and the car was sold with it still fitted.

Diverter valve, I've no idea what he meant, but I'd suspect it only refers to a charged engine - I could be wrong though.
that will be worth a go for sure. ill do some research over the weekend since i cant find a video regarding locating the MAP sensoron my car

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
that will be worth a go for sure. ill do some research over the weekend since i cant find a video regarding locating the MAP sensoron my car

From memory, it is located on the "front" of the inlet manifold, which means that it is on the driver's side/end of that manifold and secured by a single Torx screw, its sealing O-ring stays on the MAP sensor and can be reused safely. You will find it at the end of a cable!

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
From memory, it is located on the "front" of the inlet manifold, which means that it is on the driver's side/end of that manifold and secured by a single Torx screw, its sealing O-ring stays on the MAP sensor and can be reused safely. You will find it at the end of a cable!
ended up doing this. my sensor had two screws and didnt actually look dirty/gunky, but i still sprayed it with carb cleaner anyway. i had a check engine light for a bit, as well as the EPC light. they dissapeared during a long drive. i noticed the car accelerating better immediately

ive never noticed this before, what does the number mean, is it miles until service?

ffu4PJh.jpg

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
gonna give this another go today mate. i think i have a torx set in my boot so ill get it sprayed and if it works i'll take your paypal as i owe you a few beers..

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.