APR stage 1 engine and gearbox cupra tune

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Hi Everyone

Seems like its been a while since posts about a stage 1 cupra tune.
I have just had mine done this morning and just wanted to say how well the cupra handles the extra power.
My advice is to go for it if you are thinking about doing it.

aaaa_kk

Nov 19, 2016
Crawley, West Sussex
I had mine done stage 1 APR and dsg tune last September, and yesterday had stage 2 file put on. I didn’t think there would be that much of a difference between stage 1 and stage 2, I was very wrong The first time I put my foot down after having stage 2 I had to back off its soooo much faster. 3rd gear the car just grips and rockets off. The Cupra does a great job handling it, just had to learn to be more careful with the right foot!

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
A stage 1 is definitely good enough for me for now!

and yes 4wd would be great to have, mine is just fwd but was amaized how well it gripped.
Mine still has 9 months of warranty left on it but couldn't wait any longer and figured SEAT dealerships are so useless they probably wouldn't fix it if it did go pop anyway!

Sisqo_uk

Nov 9, 2017
What’s required for a stage 2? Was thinking of staying stage 1 when getting g it done as it sounded plenty but you’ve just convinced me otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
A stage 1 is definitely good enough for me for now!

and yes 4wd would be great to have, mine is just fwd but was amaized how well it gripped.
Mine still has 9 months of warranty left on it but couldn't wait any longer and figured SEAT dealerships are so useless they probably wouldn't fix it if it did go pop anyway!

What tyres are you running ?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
What’s required for a stage 2? Was thinking of staying stage 1 when getting g it done as it sounded plenty but you’ve just convinced me otherwise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stage 2 map requires additional hardware, downpipe and sports cat / de-cat at a minimum or a full TBE system and a CAI of some sort.

Reactions: Sisqo_uk

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
CAI isn't actually required but will of course help.
Interesting! I did not know this; so you could run stage 2 on the enclosed stock setup? Or would it have to be something like the R600 intake?

EDIT: Of course I know you can run stage 2 on stock filter, but to get the most out of the software, a CAI would be preferable?

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Stage 2 map requires additional hardware, downpipe and sports cat / de-cat at a minimum or a full TBE system and a CAI of some sort.
Why do you have to do these upgrades for stage 2 and can you run stage 2 on stock also what additional hardware do you need. And can I ask what a cai is?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Why do you have to do these upgrades for stage 2 and can you run stage 2 on stock also what additional hardware do you need. And can I ask what a cai is?
The stage 2 software takes in to account the increased diameter of the downpipe and the less restrictive sports cat. A CAI is a Cold Air Intake, or an induction kit. I don't know if it'll work on stock exhaust.

Stage 2 requires at a minimum an induction kit/air filter and either a full turbo back exhaust or just a downpipe and sports cat mated to the existing system.

Mine's a 3" diameter that mates to the 2.75" stock cat back system.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
The stage 2 software takes in to account the increased diameter of the downpipe and the less restrictive sports cat. A CAI is a Cold Air Intake, or an induction kit. I don't know if it'll work on stock exhaust.

Stage 2 requires at a minimum an induction kit/air filter and either a full turbo back exhaust or just a downpipe and sports cat mated to the existing system.

Mine's a 3" diameter that mates to the 2.75" stock cat back system.
I've got a pipercross air filter in stock air box, racingline intake pipe and racingline turbo elbow. If I get a sports cat and a downpipe will it make the exhaust louder?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I've got a pipercross air filter in stock air box, racingline intake pipe and racingline turbo elbow. If I get a sports cat and a downpipe will it make the exhaust louder?
Nope, hardly any difference in sound if you don't change the back box. The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the bits we've spoken about, changing the cat-back system will change the sound more than anything else.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Nope, hardly any difference in sound if you don't change the back box. The most restrictive part of the exhaust is the bits we've spoken about, changing the cat-back system will change the sound more than anything else.
So what could I get away with changing on the exhaust without doing to much or spending to much so I can get safe 2?
Will there be any problems with the car after a stage 2 ie engine management light due to the o2 sensor cause that happened in my old saxo vtr? Can you go straight to stage 2 or do you need stage 1 first?

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
According to Revo's website, the required hardware upgrades are :
Turbo Back Exhaust
Cold Air Intake System
Uprated FMIC

Here's the link to Revo's website
https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/seat/leon-mk3-2012-/194/stage-2

APR state the same requirements
"The APR Stage II ECU Upgrade is the next step towards making more power! This upgrade requires a high flow downpipe exhaust system, and produces 372-387 HP with 367-409 FT-LBS of torque. Gains as high as 86-104 HP and 82-125 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band.

An upgraded intake is required to meet the advertised low and medium output power figures, and an upgraded intercooler is required to meet the high output power figures.
"

Here's the link to APR's website
http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html

EDIT: Just a side note, my EML also kept popping on then went off after a week or so when the exhaust bits went on.
Also, you can go straight to stage 2, no need to go through stage one. If you have the funds, you can skip 1 and 2 and go to 3.

Last edited:

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
According to Revo's website, the required hardware upgrades are :
Turbo Back Exhaust
Cold Air Intake System
Uprated FMIC

Here's the link to Revo's website
https://www.onlyrevo.com/product-details/software/seat/leon-mk3-2012-/194/stage-2

APR state the same requirements
"The APR Stage II ECU Upgrade is the next step towards making more power! This upgrade requires a high flow downpipe exhaust system, and produces 372-387 HP with 367-409 FT-LBS of torque. Gains as high as 86-104 HP and 82-125 FT-LBS of torque are available throughout the power band.

An upgraded intake is required to meet the advertised low and medium output power figures, and an upgraded intercooler is required to meet the high output power figures.
"

Here's the link to APR's website
http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html

EDIT: Just a side note, my EML also kept popping on then went off after a week or so when the exhaust bits went on.
I think I might just go for stage 1 for now, do you know if there are any requirements for stage 1?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members