APR Stage 1 problems – Leon CR 170 2010

Rob00

Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth
Hi recently had a stage 1 APR remap on my 2010 Leon Mk2 CR 170, however I’m getting sudden power dips at random times when over 4000 rpm. Tried VCDS logging and seems to be requested boost is cut when EGT gets to around 875. Does anyone have experience of this please? Have no fault codes and DPF reading is low, car was absolutely fine before the remap. Is this a common problem? Trying to understand if it’s the map or the car, the garage seem stumped at the mo. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Shouldn't be doing that... I had a p-torque stage 1 and a revo stage 1 on my 2012 CR170 and it was fine. Not sure what to say really. Bit of a pain, but you could ask them to remove it and if it fixes it you know it's the map. Have you changed the fuel your using recently?

Rob00

Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth
Thanks, so no power dips over 4k then, mine drops then comes back on, sometimes,
Can't really think of a fault on the car that could cause it, VCDS shows fuel pressure, EGR, DPF ok,
Haven't tried premium diesel do you think its worth it then?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Might be worth logging the MAF readings as well. Also might be worth trying an app called VAG DPF. Monitors regens, dpf status, etc. The only time I used to get hesitation was strangely within about the first 5-10 miles after a regen. Also, as it's a mapped diesel, are you doing long enough journeys for it to regen on time (eg oil level isn't rising)?

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Hi recently had a stage 1 APR remap on my 2010 Leon Mk2 CR 170, however I’m getting sudden power dips at random times when over 4000 rpm. Tried VCDS logging and seems to be requested boost is cut when EGT gets to around 875. Does anyone have experience of this please? Have no fault codes and DPF reading is low, car was absolutely fine before the remap. Is this a common problem? Trying to understand if it’s the map or the car, the garage seem stumped at the mo. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Did you get the ability to change maps with the cruise control?, I can switch between 3, you could swop to another and see if it’s just the fast map / fuel type map? If not as above ask them to remove the map and see if it’s still there when stock.

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
Tried VCDS logging and seems to be requested boost is cut when EGT gets to around 875.

Thats quite a high EGT reading for a mildly tuned diesel car, limit of most turbo's is usually just under 1000 and most Turbo Petrol race cars wouldn't wanna sustain temps in the mid 900's for too long.

Is it possible the sensor is faulty? See Here this post suggest there could be a second sensor, check the readings when cold to see if they at least have the same base reading.

Rob00

Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth
Thanks guys that’s some useful information to consider, going to have a busy day tomorrow!
It apparently has EMCS to change maps and anti-theft but there is only 1 map so unfortunately can’t try that. I do long runs often, approx. 100mile and the DPF figure was low, my log runs were after a 100mile run . But thank you for the ideas, I will look into those, cheers

Rob00

Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth
I measured all temperatures at cold and all read the same so hopefully the EGT sensor is accurate. Tested EGR in output tests seems fine, DPF readings are low. The garage have finally asked me to take a cold reading of blocks 70, 74 and 75, all VCDS says is Bin.Bits and (no units), does anyone know what they are? I seem to be getting little/no support from the garage & APR, I thought APR were one of the better firms, is there much experience of them on TDI’s? Trying to decide whether to quit and get it put back to standard or not, any views/experience would be handy?

DannyallenFR

Feb 16, 2018
Depending on price I'd get them to remove it and if you want another go with revo.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Rob00

Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth
Garage have now suggested a refund, which is good they are supporting me, although the map feels good I'd hoped it was something fixable on the car, but if it's the map I guess it has to go.
Is there much experience out there of alternative maps for this engine? I guess it Revo now then?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Garage have now suggested a refund, which is good they are supporting me, although the map feels good I'd hoped it was something fixable on the car, but if it's the map I guess it has to go.
Is there much experience out there of alternative maps for this engine? I guess it Revo now then?

I had Revo on my CR170 and had no issues with it. But I'd check once it's back to stock that the issue has gone.

Rob00

Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth
Update, had the map removed :( contacted APR support – no reply, the garage – no idea why its happening, no suggestions from APR. With no support on why this is happening I’ve lost confidence in the product and can only assume it’s the map, so best have it removed and go elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Posted the stock / remap boost runs in case its of interest.
Stock.vs.Remap.2.jpg

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Oh wow. Looks like it was the map. Revo also do a 30 day money back trial I think. Might be worth giving them a try. Unless you fancy a trek to r-tech.

Silverfoxxxx

Sep 27, 2018
Surprised APR weren’t more helpful, they are rated as one of the best Vag mappers and used by many, did they try reflashing I Case it was a corrupt file?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Yeah. I'm also really surprised. However my concern is the issue not being the map, but a weakness exposed by the map. Which is why if it were me I'd be taking it to r-tech or Revo hq in Daventry so if the same happens again it's in the hands of experts to diagnose.

Reactions: Silverfoxxxx

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK
Looks as though the boost is getting cut off and trying to recover, probably need to log other things such as fueling/ignition/air flow.

Rob00

Sep 16, 2014
Bournemouth
Sent those logs and much more to the garage and they sent them to APR but nothing back, had the map removed inside the 30 days but they haven't made the refund yet! Hope they honour the guarantee. Re-run of boost logs with stock is smooth again with no drops.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.