APR Stage 3...booked at Awesome!! (Now With Pics)

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
just looking at those pics again of it fitted, how do your shifter cables not get in the way of the 90* elbo?

got any pics?

thanks

Sorry I haven't got any pics....I'll take a look later.

Car will be Inters if you want to take a look then on Awesome's stand.

How's your car going??

I'm still giggling with this level of performance it's great and very useable.:funk:

Ian

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
hey, yah not bad, gota massive leak at the manifold to head at the moment.

so i though now once i have removed every thing to fix it i may aswell just get a proper gt2871r kit to take advantage of extra power and quicker spool.

then sell the old kit

ill let you guys know of any progress.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Ian - have you had a go in Jim's A4? How does it and yours compare on spool etc?

Do you know if it's basically the same turbo in the A4 to what's on yours?

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
prob looking around 950 or so for the lot. will make my mind up when the new kit is finaly in

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Ian - have you had a go in Jim's A4? How does it and yours compare on spool etc?

Do you know if it's basically the same turbo in the A4 to what's on yours?

Yes I have driven Jim's A4...same turbo and set up but the car is obviously that much heavier and power is slit on the 'proper' Quattro 4WD.

Very quick car but obviously the two car's feel different to drive. The Golf feels that much lighter and punchier. Also Jim's car has the original APR manifold and pipework is different therefore the spool is similar but I felt my car spooled earlier.

Jim's runs the bigger turbo

Hope this helps

Ian

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
[email protected]% = £5281.625

Are you guys serious or is that a misprint?

that is such a stupid price if that is true.

turbo costs around 700, manifold should cost no more than 1000 (and that is really over priced for a mass produced part), dp no more than 350, intake around 100, injectors and maf cant be more than 400.

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
[email protected]% = £5281.625

Are you guys serious or is that a misprint?

You pays your money and take your choice.

Your paying for more than just a bolt on cobbled together kit!!

Your paying for a very high quality kit with proven reliability that's why I waited for this having read extensive reports from other users around the globe.

Anyhow take a look at the prices of the MTM and Sportec kits....older kits and older turbo's but prices are well over 2k more!!....

I took the view that looking at the longer term with further mods planned and the back up with the installation and overall package it's a price worth paying especially if your note a DIY'r like myself.

The Garrett turbo and wastegate is not a 'out of the box' item...it has been fettled for APR for their package...that's the thing about the kit all components are made in harmony to work together after extensive research.

I know that Awesome are already in the process of fitting kits to another Golf 4 and an S3 with more in the pipeline.....definatelty a market out there.

I noted the 400bhp APR Golf 5 in this month's Evo voted best package from several leading magazines.....they must be doing something right!!!

Still extremely happy with my car no matter what you think on price :p...a price worth paying IMHO.

Good luck to Awesome...hope they sell a good few units!! :clap:

caney

Apr 24, 2005
i think apr's price is about right really! i'm guessing that price includes fitting and mapping also? imo it's a bit of a gamble sourcing all the bits separately as they might not complement each other and cost you in the long run as bits have to be modified to fit:cry:i had the jabba kit and recently changed the turbo for a bigger unit and things had to be modified to get it all to fit properly. a lot of people on here collect all the bits over a 1-2 year period it seems to save money but what happens if it doesn't all work together? could you get your money back:doh: i've been there done that! bought the wrong stuff because it was cheaper only to find out it was no good:censored: jabbas kit is circa 4k,backdraft is about the same but apr's looks better quality and the turbo is good for 400bhp i think?if you've got the money to buy it then that's your choice:)

thechief

i think apr's price is about right really! i'm guessing that price includes fitting and mapping also? imo it's a bit of a gamble sourcing all the bits separately as they might not complement each other and cost you in the long run as bits have to be modified to fit:cry:i had the jabba kit and recently changed the turbo for a bigger unit and things had to be modified to get it all to fit properly. a lot of people on here collect all the bits over a 1-2 year period it seems to save money but what happens if it doesn't all work together? could you get your money back:doh: i've been there done that! bought the wrong stuff because it was cheaper only to find out it was no good:censored: jabbas kit is circa 4k,backdraft is about the same but apr's looks better quality and the turbo is good for 400bhp i think?if you've got the money to buy it then that's your choice:)

I thought it was a 28RS?

Its just the whole vag scene in general that is overpriced, take a look at options for evo's to see whats available and how overpriced the stuff is.

If it includes fitting/mapping then I agree its not a bad price.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
Its just the whole vag scene in general that is overpriced, take a look at options for evo's to see whats available and how overpriced the stuff is.
totally agree jap stuff is cheaper but they've been doing it alot longer! when i bought my tt in 2002 there wasn't much available but now there's tons of stuff:funk:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK

Lots more cars to recoup the R&D over as well - which is an important factor

everyone has to make some money on the parts too, and shipping, import duty too - and it all adds up

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
shopping for DIY as opposed drive in drive out is a ££ question for folks as well as ability to fettle things yourself to make it all fit together nice.

There are bound to be small items which get adjusted/replaced/fabricated as you go, its nature of the beast.

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
From reading above i do agree with the bolt on advantage and the APR kit does look a good quality fit!

The GT28RS will not make 400bhp def not on pump fuel, IMO they should have made it a GT2871r or at least made the option for the extra cost of the turbo.

But from what I have heard it costs 5.2k for the kit only, then there is mapping and optional fitting on top which at a guess will be 1.5k extra.
What really frustrates me is that the APR stage 3 kit for the LHD cost around £2500 for the same kind of stuff.

+ import vat and duty £3050
+ shipping which should be no more than £150
= £3200

Where does the extra 2k come in to play?

The only ease of install that comes in to play when you buy a kit are:
Turbo is clocked to the correct position
WG is mounted to suit how it has been clocked
Coolant and oil lines are all correct length
Inlet has all the vacs barbs and points to the intake/MAF correctly.

All the above are very easy to do yourself when you are installing the kit.

If you buy are dp and manifold from a good dealer where the turbo meets the DP correctly then there isn’t that much hassle left to do.

Wilko

Badge snob
Where does the extra 2k come in to play?

R &D costs verses likely sales volumes, + of course good old VAT
Labour costs in the UK are much higher than the US, as everything costs more to buy.

Some of us can do it ourselves, but if APR's kit had been available 3 years ago, there's be one on my car. They make very high quality items that are no brainers for the customer.

If I put in the hours I've spent on research to get mine right (and wrong) on occasions, at £10 an hour (low labour rate), It's be a lot cheaper to have bought the APR kit and to have had it fitted by awesome.

The drive in drive out approach buys a certain level of piece of mind, but Id only assume that with certain suppliers. Awesome would be on this list.
Some others I'd steer well clear of, and others are just too small to give me confidence that they have the resource to back up their warranties.

As has been said. 'You pay your money, you make your choice.'

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
As I have said all along APR's kit is great quality, fits nice, have a great after sales service and no doubt really gives some good power with quick spool.

Overall I think the price needs to be revised. these prices will make customers think oh, ill go IHI then. IMO if I was a new customer to the VAG scene and didnt know much DIY i would have defiantly given jabba my business over this one. only due to the price.

I guess here in the UK prices have to be a little higher due to the much smaller market. But still I think a nice chuck can still be slashed from that total price!

No means of bitching here, just my honest thoughts. ;)

Myk3

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
As I have said all along APR's kit is great quality, fits nice, have a great after sales service and no doubt really gives some good power with quick spool.

Overall I think the price needs to be revised. these prices will make customers think oh, ill go IHI then. IMO if I was a new customer to the VAG scene and didnt know much DIY i would have defiantly given jabba my business over this one. only due to the price.

I guess here in the UK prices have to be a little higher due to the much smaller market. But still I think a nice chuck can still be slashed from that total price!

No means of bitching here, just my honest thoughts. ;)

Myk3

I agree that APR should have launched the kit 3 years ago as I know that Awesome were very frustrated with the lack of foresight by APR to the UK market. Thankfully Guy Harding in Australia sorted out the RHD developement work.

The kit certainly represents an alternative to the main aforementioned kits ie MTM Jabba and Sportec etc etc.

It is IMO a step on from Jabba's kit only in respect of bearing cartridge reliabilty turbo housing issues abd some cracking manifold issues especially when you are running the turbo to 350+ bhp.

The GT28RS in my configuration comfortably makes 340 bhp on 98 RON. It will make (360+ on RACE fuel programme on my car) and more with the APR inlet manifold and a better FMIC....THE ONLY RESTRICTION IS INTERNALS!!!

I liked IHI kit's but I was worried about my hard use on track which put me off the BT for such a long time. Only time will tell when I get on track soon

Ian

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
Really awesome could have made a template for the manifold and DP for a Garrett turbo within 3 years, even if they had to outsource a 3rd party company to do the welding. Then piece together the correct sized lines and silicone shapes etc.

They could have also sold the kit for less and prob make more money per kit.

well this is what i would have done, unless they are not aloud to for what ever reason?!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
I bet there was a lot of marketing/contractural issues and faffing about which stopped them from getting on with it.

Don't forget that Awesome aren't APR - what I mean is that the kit is APR's and Awesome are "just" a distributor (well, a lot more than that, but I think you know what I mean).