APR Stage 3...booked at Awesome!! (Now With Pics)

May 2, 2006
manifold.jpg

what size throttle body is that? looks huge .......
manni looks awesome :) (might be pic making it look bigger)

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Thanks Guy for your input and history.

Guy has been extremely helpful liasing with myself and Jim all the way on my car.
Apart from the fact the manifold has a good warranty back up and the kit comes 'complete', for a non DIY'r like myself apart from Jabba's kit there's not alot else on offer.
When I researched the kits both European kits from MTM and Sportec were not only prhobitively expensive but thet both use older generation turbo's.

I wanted to spend a bit more on the APR kit due to the fact that I do quite a bit of track work and from my research in the US and with Guy it was reassuring that finally I knew there was a new product now available with a warranty available. Another issue which Guy touched upon was the efficient spoil of the RHD kit utilising the GT28RS which is a boon for road use too.

I'm now looking forward to strengthening the internals and using the aforementioned manifold and revised map. Firstly I have to look at my Inter cooler. I may use a R32 or Oetinger bumper which should be able to house an APR I/C....so if any body is interested in my Neuspeed item which is more than sufficient for KO3/04 applications let me know.

Ian

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Hey Bill,

Had a word with Jeff about this. In an ideal word he would have wrapped the whole exhaust. The wrap is there not only to keep the heat in but also to keep the heat out from the exhaust manifold to charge pipe etc (its an insulator, not one directional). The hotter the exhaust gas the quicker it travels which in turn helps increase spool up time. Jeff wondered why you wouldnt do the flexi as he has used this method for years and never had a problem, cars like FKC (mk2 4x4 1.8T with 460bhp), BigDub (twin VR6 turbo MK3 Golf) and all of his S3 conversions have all been done in this way and never had an issue. Wrapping the flexi like this also helps keep the heat away from the steering rack pinion valve, which can cause the rack to go faulty as we have seen on many big turbo and engine conversion's.

I know what wrap does andy.. :p keeping heat in the compressor discharge pipe tho is'nt advantageous at all tho, as the FMIC now has an insulated "hot" charge to dissipate, so any prospective heat loss down the ally pipework is now given to the FMIC to dissipate. If the exhaust manifolds ceramic coatings working, and the additional heat wrap, then there's little heat for the compressor charge outlet to absorb, and it will likely be higher charge temp than the radiant heat off the insulated manifold.

Wrapping the flexi overheated mine, and it ruptured internally. Road car road milage and a lot of track days, not 1/4 mile runs, this was sustained use on track and 20k road miles/year... just like IanB is going to use his for. Agree with the steering rack comment, as mine is heat shielded with tripple layer aluminium/ceramic composite, as my flexi and DP over that section is not heat wrapped. (to avoid cooking the flexi)

regards
bill

Last edited:

Aussie Guy

Thanks for posting Guy... cant wait for the details from the Polo :) Have you guys fabricated all the stuff for the intercooler etc?

hey Andy - yes - looking forward to the Polo - its already a quick little bugger with a K04, High flow manifold, race gas etc. :D Should be mental with 340+hp.

Yes the intercooler core is the APR unit - we modify it here and build the plumbing - fits under a stock bar cover with no cutting - see good drops in IAT's from it!

Aussie Guy

Thanks Guy for your input and history.

Guy has been extremely helpful liasing with myself and Jim all the way on my car.
Apart from the fact the manifold has a good warranty back up and the kit comes 'complete', for a non DIY'r like myself apart from Jabba's kit there's not alot else on offer.
When I researched the kits both European kits from MTM and Sportec were not only prhobitively expensive but thet both use older generation turbo's.

I wanted to spend a bit more on the APR kit due to the fact that I do quite a bit of track work and from my research in the US and with Guy it was reassuring that finally I knew there was a new product now available with a warranty available. Another issue which Guy touched upon was the efficient spoil of the RHD kit utilising the GT28RS which is a boon for road use too.

I'm now looking forward to strengthening the internals and using the aforementioned manifold and revised map. Firstly I have to look at my Inter cooler. I may use a R32 or Oetinger bumper which should be able to house an APR I/C....so if any body is interested in my Neuspeed item which is more than sufficient for KO3/04 applications let me know.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Glad its all come together. I'm sure your cooler climate will be much nicer on the components and alow for extended track time. We heat wrap our manifold fully but we will probably wrap the downpipe & exhaust as well (same as yours) - There are several different brands of heat wrap over here - we have found that the DEI type lasts for years & the ceramic coat prevents any corrosion under the wrap. Mind you - its hot & dry - (can't remember the last time it rained :cry: )

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Picking the car up this weekend...........fingers crossed....can't wait!!

myk3

Dec 16, 2005
just looking at those pics again of it fitted, how do your shifter cables not get in the way of the 90* elbo?

got any pics?

thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise