Are mk4 ibiza cupras reliable?

Jan 25, 2020
I've been looking at these cars for a while now, but some people are commenting about its reliability issues. Just wanted to ask if these were common problems or just one-offs.

1.4tsi engine (the one with a turbo and supercharger) apparently consumes a lot of oil, and some people are saying they had to get their engines replaced completely for whatever reason.

DSG gearbox also fails a lot on these cars. I tried to search what the gearbox code was but I couldn't find anything. I saw that the dry version of the DSGs had the most common problems.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I've never ever had a car with that type of engine in it, though almost bought one - a used Audi A1, for my wife, and changed direction and bought her a new factory order VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS for many reasons unconnected with that engine engine/gearbox. Later on, when finding out about that brilliant but shockingly flawed engine's traits, I considered that I'd dodged a bullet!

My question to you must be, why take a chance when there are many other bigger and with similar output power/torque VW Group engines out there - even if these other engines might have similar but fixable potential issues.

Now if you just wanted to own/run a car with one of these twincharger engine as a second or third car, then yes go ahead, but if you want/need a reliable car, why take the risk, as you know that as far as I know, no quality/safe engine reconditioner handles these engines - and for good reasons, ie they can not support any expected warranty that a properly reconditioned engine should come with.

Early DSG gearboxes, it seems like they are fixable and well supported, but make sure that you include a full rebuild into your car ownership costings.

From my maybe twisted way of looking at things, VW Group, and other car builder groups, introduced that type of engine as the way forward to reduce petrol engines emissions and in general start the trend to "down size" engines while losing nothing, and gaining MPG, what actually happened was, as I commented on this at the time, a more expensive, heavier, bigger in installation "volume", and much more complex engine was created - that meant that users ended up with cars being off the road for extended periods in time and VW Group had to in some cases, foot the repair bill, then VW Group dropped that engine type very quickly - so how much of that makes any sense or good reason for buying a used and maybe "sorted out for the time being" car with that engine in it, especially one that is now quite old and will never get any "good will" help from VW Group.

Jan 25, 2020
Which cars are also worth looking at? I don't believe there are any other ones with similar power output while still being in the same price range. The Polo 1.4 GTI I believe also has the same engine in it, so that doesn't help much.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I think that as usual, it is very easy to be able to warn someone against buying a certain model of car, far harder to suggest an equivalent, though hold back for a bit longer and buying one with the 1.8T engine must be a better plan.

Edit:- personally, if I knew all the answers to the weaknesses and available proper fixes (if there are permanent fixes for all its troubles), for these engines, I would not mind enjoying sorting one of them out having bought it cheaply due to the history of these engines, and then enjoying it - but even then I would have only done that as something to keep me busy in my garage, if I wanted that performance from a Polo/Ibiza/Fabia, I would just save a bit longer and buy one with the later 1.8T engine and enjoy owning it without needing to feed it with bits.

Similarly I will always avoid buying an Alfa Romeo or a Maserati - amazing idea but deeply flawed and wallet crunching. Along with needing to always have a back-up car.

Last edited:

ibiza1.8t-cupra

Jan 27, 2020
Hi.

I have had my mk4 Ibiza cupra 1.8t for 3 years now, it is now on 127k and has been reliable yes, never broken down, I give it an oil change every 5k.

The main things I have had is, broken front springs at 95k and new clutch and dual mass flywheel at 115k. Hope that helps.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.