Are the connectors on the Cupra Aura radio/casette standard ISO ??

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Similar to my query of a couple of days ago, but i have now found a face plate to convert from AURA size radio to standard size radio. The only remaining question is (before i take the unit out), are the connectors in the Cupra (52 reg) standard fit ISO connectors ?. I cannot find out this info anywhere, i have googled etc. I just simply want to know that if i bought a standard fit CD radio (with standard ISO connectors) for my Cupra, would the connectors already in the car fit it ??. I'm NOT bothered about linking it up with the CD changer, i will leave that disconnected.

Obviously, if any adaptors were involved (to convert the Cupra to ISO) and the price was too much then i wouldn't bother, the radio is only £90 after all !!

Please, if anyone could help me on this.

Kind Regards,
Andrew

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Cheers Icecavern !. What happens if i don't swap over the +ve and ignition wires ? Would it break the radio, or would it just not come on with the ignition off, or something along those lines ? Is it dangerous NOT to swap these +Ve and Ignition wires over ?

Many thanks
Andrew

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
One further slight problem ! - How on earth does the AURA radio come out of the Cupra ????. I don't think i got any forks to lift it out when i bought the car (are they kept anywhere special in the car ??). I tried with 2 thin long screwdrivers and it still doesn't lift the radio out. Anyone got any ideas (i'm NOT giving up !!) ????

Regards,
Andrew

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
If you don't swap the wires over then the radio will loose its memory settings of radio stations etc. Not dangerious as such. The worse I've seen it do is blow a fuse when the constant pin drew too much current from the switched supply.

You need to do my credit card trick to get the unit out! two thin strips of credit card cut up and poked in the flat holes on the head unit then pushed to the side then pull the unit forward.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
I'll have a go at that ! - Cheers for the info BlackFR !. Hoping all goes well, going to fit the radio tonight without faceplate (getting a faceplate to fit Leon off e-bay, but it won't arrive until Thursday). See how it goes, then disconnect the ISO and fit faceplate when it comes. Getting a bit fed up of CD problems in the changer lately. I'm just going to get a sony CDXA250 Mp3/CD/CDRW player, it also has a jackplug socket (AUX in) on front for mp3 player and remote control (although i don't know what i'd use that for as i'd be sitting within arms reach of it anyway !!), it also looks nice, lights up red, so doesn't look too much out of place from the AURA radio/casette !

Regards,
Andrew

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
One further question (Sorry !). I have just tried what was suggested with the credit card and the unit won't budge !! - the only "slots" on the radio are on the bottom (one on the left (under the volume knob), and one on the right (under the DX button)), they are only about 10mm wide by about 2 mm in height. Are these the holes you refer to when you say push in the thin strips of credit card ?. I have tried that and cannot get it to work. I assume i cut the card lengthways and in which direction do i push (inwards toward eachother, or outwards ?). (Fallen at the first hurdle before i even get the radio !!)

Regards,
Andrew

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
They are indeed the holes!

You need to push the strips in quite hard, this will release the lock then you need to pull the unit forward. If its the tape unit get your fingers in the tape slot. You will have to try and pull it out with your finger tips!

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Well i tried again to get the radio out and could i heck !! - i tried credit card, scissors etc etc. Now the flamin thing won't even come on ! - i'm hoping it's just a fuse gone or something. What fuse would the radio be on because on the diagram on the fuse box there is definitely no radio symbol ??

I rang the guys at the SEAT garage who said that there was NO WAY of getting the radio out without the special tool which only they had. They said if i popped it down they'd do it for free.

Still wonder whu the radio doesn't come on though ?? (the changer is dead too !), does that sound like a fuse blown ?.

Wish i'd left it alone now !

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Durham, N.E. UK. Hope it's just a fuse in the radio rather than the fusebox cos i cannot find it in the fusebox !!!!!!!! Regards, Andrew

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Thanks everyone ! - i got it sorted, eventually !. Took the car to the SEAT garage who could not get the radio out either !. I had to take it home and force it out with a screwdriver (right hand lock had locked into place and even the correct fork couldn't get it out). The right hand lug had become bent and so i straightened it out cos when i come to sell the car the AURA radio needs to go back in !. As for the AURA radio not working, it WAS the fuse, replaced and working fine now. Got the Sony mp3 radio in and it just went in perfect ! - even the block connectors were easy (just swapped the red & yellow round, as suggested here - otherwise it forgot it's radio stations and settings each time the ignition was turned off !). Just waiting for the fascia plate now from e-bay !!

Thanks for everyones help in here ! - it's nice to know there is expertise on hand and i got the problems solved the same day !!!

Regards,
Andrew

Spanky

Banana Virgin..
Feb 5, 2005
Preston, Lancashire
So you have put your new stereo/cage in the car, but you dont have the fascia adapter yet...?

Just a heads up (if you didn't already know) you'll need to remove the cage when you fit the fascia adapter, as this goes on first, then the cage, then to slot the stereo in.

andy15star

Apr 17, 2005
Durham
Thanks for the advice mate. Yeah i put the cage in "loosly" just incase that was the case !. I couldn't fathom out by looking at the picture on e-bay whether it was just a front fascia, or the whole casing, cage and fascia. But i did think along those lines and just pushed the Sony cage in without bending the "lugs", so it will easily slip back out !.. Cheers, Andrew