Are you killing your car?

torquecars

Time to confess your sins then chaps and chapesses, which of these naughty things are you doing to your car?

torquecars.com/articles/killing-cars.php

I do 2,6 and 8 quite a lot!

I don't think 6 matters that much as cars are meant to be driven, you shouldn't keep them long enough to end up paying the bills from all damage you do.

Bret

Lcr stealth :)
Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
5/6/7 whoops some of this is a bit much I mean resting hand on gearstick hardly alot of weight as arm weight rested on knee or armrest :lol:

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
:eek: that's mad only person I've met not to do at least 1 of those :p

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

beastgtir

Dec 26, 2012
I don't drive much and being a car nut always had tips from elder friends.
Another thing is playing around with the gears while the car is off.
Annoys me when people do it

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
I don't drive much and being a car nut always had tips from elder friends.
Another thing is playing around with the gears while the car is off.
Annoys me when people do it

Respect :D sometimes hard not to flip out when other people do certain things whilst driving they should do an AA group for some of us :lol:

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
5 and 7. Although 7 doesn't matter for me in DSG :)
It's comfy.

As for 3; I'm sure this discussion was had ages ago on the forum and it turned out the Leon keeps pumping oil after shutdown. Right? So Leons are safe.

I remember needing turbo-timers on Scoobies

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
As for 3; I'm sure this discussion was had ages ago on the forum and it turned out the Leon keeps pumping oil after shutdown. Right? So Leons are safe.

No Leon has continued oil circulation as far as I know.

The LCR has a continued coolant circulation pump that keeps cooling water flowing through the engine and turbo after engine shutdown. Only really useful on LCR as it has water-cooling applied to the turbo as well as oil cooling.

The best way to cool the turbo down is to drive relatively quietly for the last 5-10 minutes of your journey.

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
No Leon has continued oil circulation as far as I know.

The LCR has a continued coolant circulation pump that keeps cooling water flowing through the engine and turbo after engine shutdown. Only really useful on LCR as it has water-cooling applied to the turbo as well as oil cooling.

The best way to cool the turbo down is to drive relatively quietly for the last 5-10 minutes of your journey.

That's what in confused with. Although I'm sure this also existed on the FR (TFSI). It was definitely on the schematics in ELSA for the FR.

It always works out well for me because getting into town and my estate automatically gives me 5 minutes of cool down.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
1. Car is serviced as per the service schedule
2. Check my pressures every other fill-up of fuel and before a long journey
3. Got automatic gates on the drive at home so normally have to take a while to wait for them to open and then once pulled on spend a while pratting around with the iPod etc.
4. Kind of guilty on this one, try and take it easy but often find myself breaking the rule for an over-take.
5. I work 20 miles from home so this rule is rarely broken.
6. DSG gearbox stops me from ever doing this (Something I kind off miss from a manual....)
7. DSG - not a probem
8. DSG - not a probem
9. DSG - not a probem
10. Car is washed once a week, polished and waxed once every 3 months, clayed every 6 months.

One out of 10 ain't bad LOL.

weatherlight

I wonder about 9 with DSG. EA211 1.2 TSI with DSG is my first automatic car. It shifts to 6th at 50km / h and 7 to 60km /h even at slight grades while I'm easy with the throttle. Problem is, when I want to climb that hill and apply more gas, it just wants to hold onto 6th or 7th as long as it can. Until the low rpm or my 2/3rd flooring the gas finally forces it to shift down. I know the engineers couldnt have overlooked this if it would be a problem, but I am still concerned. Shall I engage S mode once I'm climbing a hill, will it be healthier for the car? D just doesnt let the car run above 2k rpm and S just wont shift up below 3k. I wish there would be a 3rd normal operation.

Michal James

I have a can but I am not an efficient driver to drive carefully on the road. Sometime I got accidents and spend much money to repair my car. Now I am seriously following the traffic rules and trying my best efforts to overcome the sudden situations.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.