Arnold Clark Seat Linwood

AndyC85

Over the past few weeks I have been in the process of buying an Ibiza Cupra TDi. I visited my local dealership; Arnold Clark Seat in Linwood, Paisley to see what they could offer me. I spoke to the sales woman, went for a test drive and was very impressed. We then agreed a part exchange price, finance payments etc so I decided to order the car, this involved a £100 deposit. Total cost of the car was £15500. Delivery time was about 4 weeks.

A few weeks later, out of curiosity and a bit of research, I checked around some other garages convinced that I could get a cheaper deal. It turns out I was right! I found a pre-registered Ibiza Cupra TDi for £13500 and promptly snapped it up.

Upon returning to the Seat garage in Linwood to cancel my original order, which I'm perfectly entitled to do, I was told that not only would I not get my £100 deposit back but that I would have to pay an additional £120 "stocking fee."

The girl who I had dealt with previously was off so I spoke to some ****** called 'Ronnie' who, as it turns out, is the manager of the dealership. He said that because I had cancelled so late, the factory had already built the car and therefore weren’t willing to offer a refund. In order for me to cancel the car, the dealership would have to buy the car into their own stock at a cost of £220. So they were going to keep my deposit and charge me the difference, which is £120. [:@]

I argued with the guy until I was blue in the face, telling him that when I ordered the car I wasn’t told of any “stocking fee” in the event of a late cancellation, but he refused to budge. He told me that he had spoke to the girl that sold me the car and that she had confirmed telling me about this “stocking fee.” He then said that he would phone the factory in the morning to confirm the cancellation and that I should come back in the next day with the £120. Thinking that I didn’t have a fighting chance I finally admitted defeat and came back in the next night to pay the fee.

When I got there, ‘Ronnie’ was nowhere to be seen but I managed to speak to the sales manager and he took me into the office to deal with the cancellation. Two seconds on the computer and it was done. Order cancelled but no “stocking fee” to pay. I thought he had perhaps not realised there was such a fee but I wasn’t going to say anything. :D
I got my receipt and headed for the door as quick as I could in case he suddenly realised his mistake and called me back!

As I got to the door I bumped into the girl who sold me the car and told her of my cancellation. She said she already knew as ‘Ronnie’ had spoken to her about it earlier. It turns out however, that there is no such thing as a “Stocking fee” for cancelled orders! The girl said that Ronnie had made this fee up as a way to ‘charge’ me for cancelling the order so late! Apparently he’s a total wank (excuse the French) and everyone in the dealership hates working for him including the sales manager; which is why he never asked me to pay the “stocking fee.” ;) Lucky for me that Ronnie wasn’t in that night or I would have ended up having to pay £120 for no reason!

Just thought I’d come on here and vent my anger at the situation and let people know that if they ever get hit with a “stocking fee” whilst trying to cancel an order then don’t pay it because it’s a load of ****!

Anyways, on a happier note, there is now a brand spanking new black TDi Cupra sitting ready at Arnold Clark Seat in Linwood if anyone fancies it. I’d imagine they will be keen to get rid of it so you may get a good deal on it, plus you wont have to wait a month to get your hands on it.

Andy

S8N

I posed thred yarp?
Apr 8, 2007
Manchester
Arnold Clark are to Seat dealers what Evans Halshaw are to Ford dealers. EVIL thieving b@st@rds!!!

Jan 19, 2006
fife, scotland
if i was dyslexic i would call arnold clark seat dealers a bunch of CNUTS. especially the edinburgh lot, if your not buying a brand new cupra on the day you are in then they completely ignore you. WNAKERS ps sorry if any dyslexic people we're offended by this post. thnakyou

P0LKR

Nov 13, 2005
Newton Mortgage, Glasgow
This story does not surprise me. Arnolds are one of the bad guys. They have no interest in you as a customer. A herd of cows would get better treatment. If I were Arnold Clark (the person)I would be in dismay at all the complaints. I have met the guy and is actually a decent bloke.

Guys, if you live in the West of Scotland go and see one of two garages.

Number 1and the best

Bickets in Kilmarnock
Their sales manager Mike actually knows what customer service is all about. I hope he is there for a long time, however I always think that a boss employs people of a similar ilk as themselves. Good boss = good employees. Mr Bicket from what I have heard is one of the nice guys too.

Number two

W. Livingstones in Uddingstone

Edit. Bickets as mentioned are now owned by Verve which means they are now ****. All the good staff have left as well. Oh well.

Last edited:

Arnold_Clark

After reading the 100's and 100's of complaints about Arnold Clark I think we should all join together and make a stand against them. We will have more power together!

It doesn't matter if you no longer deal with Arnold Clark, you can help by telling us your story. I am personally still having problems but I will not let them get away with this.

Rangers

Jan 24, 2009
Scotland
Very interesting story, glad I went to Uddingston! (W.Livingstone)
No one in the trade likes Arnold Clark anyway rather give the smaller garages a sale.

KennyG

I'd been looking for a pre-registered Leon Cupra! Went to Morrisons first as that was where my g/f bought her Ibiza... They didn't Have any in stock but he looked on the Seat site and printed a couple off with pictures and prices!
Went to the Arnold Clark dealership at Linwood and got some Ricky Gervais look a like... Asked him about any red or blue Cupras.. Said he didn't have any in stock but he'd nip away and check.. Came back a few minutes later with the same cars Morrisons had shown me but had added 900 quid onto the prices!!!! Safe to say we didn't buy one off him!! Bought one from Morrisons in Stirling... Should be here in next few days.. Can't wait!

R 20vt J

Ross Jamieson
Mar 29, 2007
Irvine, Scotland
don't have time to read this but i am going to post and read later.

I went in and was enquiring about a k1 and they just dismissed me and said i wont be able to get one anywhere and ave no chance and just to forget about it. Think its because i had a cap and trackies on (just finished night shift).

Can;t wait to go up with my new candy white k1 for a service :lol:

Just to add i went to bickets in killie and the guy was helpful but explained because of the car they couldn't bring me one up and i would have to travel for it, as they wouldn't make any money! Which is fair enough.

Last edited:

Shani

Habitual derv user
Aug 12, 2007
Baillieston, Glasgow
don't have time to read this but i am going to post and read later.

I went in and was enquiring about a k1 and they just dismissed me and said i wont be able to get one anywhere and ave no chance and just to forget about it. Think its because i had a cap and trackies on (just finished night shift).

Can;t wait to go up with my new candy white k1 for a service :lol:

Just to add i went to bickets in killie and the guy was helpful but explained because of the car they couldn't bring me one up and i would have to travel for it, as they wouldn't make any money! Which is fair enough.

Your not really gonna trust those monkeys at Arnold Crap to service your pride and joy are you? Take the trip out to W Livingstone in Uddingston - you'll not be disappointed.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Bickets SEAT in kilmarnock is now owned by Verve, which explains my disaster today. Dropped off the car this morning posted keys into letter box. By 13.30 no one had bothered to phone and tell me that they had got the keys. So i phoned up at 13.30 and was told that they had got the keys but the car had not been in yet. Got a phone call at 16.45 to say my car had been repaired (top strut mount bearings) and i asked if it had been road tested and was told that it had been. Went and picked the car up at 18.30 drove about 30m and realised there was a really loud grinding noise coming from the front of the car. Got out and checked and there was nothing obvious, so i thought i would go the short journey home and take it back in the morning. Did'nt get far AA had to be called but they could not see anything [:@]. Car is now sitting at dealers and i will be phoning in the morning to complain!

redgreg

Linwood

Sorry to buck the trend guy's but I got a good deal from Arnold Clark's trading my MK1 cupra in for an altea FR TDI with only 10 miles on the clock they gave me £600 more trade in than I was offered anywhere else and the altea was £800 less than the best price I could get around here, as I live in Somerset the deal was done over the phone. I drove up and have to say there staff were very good, I have had the car 3 months now and had a fault with the battery 3 weeks ago.I took it to my local dealer who told me that the battery was faulty and would require a new one and that they could not replace it under warranty as they would need all the paperwork from Clack's to prove that they had done the 10 day ckeck's on the battery as required by SEAT, they also told me that this was the right battery for the car and that it would take up to 10 day's to get a SEAT battery as they have never had to replace one under warranty before and only kept Lucas one's in stock. I rang Clark's in Linwood and spoke to the sales manager he told me to get my local dealer to fit a Lucas battery and send them a copy of the bill and they would send me a cheque, I received the cheque within 10 day's. I can only go on how they have been with me which I have to say has been very good.

Regards Greg.

Chrisfxz

Got to agree, Livingtones is the way forward, Had dealings with Bickets too and cant really fault them but not dealt with them since they were bought over. As with everyone else, cant stand arnold cl@rk. Id rather pay that wee bit extra and go to an independant

Chris

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.