Arnold Clark Seat, Sighthill, Edinburgh.

sww

After being given a test drive in a Leon Cupra and revisiting a couple of times to find stuff out, I was given a reasonable trade in offer for my Clio 1.6 Si and ordered the Cupra (flash red).

After being promised a phone call the next morning to see if they had sourced the car for me, I had to phone back at least three times to get in touch with the salesman. Each time I was promised a call back and never heard anything.

After several more calls and getting more and more annoyed, I was told that I would get the car in a weeks time and to go ahead and organise my insurance which I would bring when I collected the car.

I was told to turn up before 5 on Friday (very convenient) and the car would be ready. When I arrived at 4.30 there was no road tax ready as they had decided they needed my insurance document to tax this. It didn't seem important enough to mention when they spoke to me on the phone that morning.

When I eventually got to take the car away I discovered oily fingerprints on the sun visors and and down the front pillar on the inside, a pencil line (?) on the ceiling, mud on the carpeting, and scratches on the interior door panels. Also some cleaner marks or something on the inside which appear to be very difficult to remove.

The dealer valeted the car when I went back but hardly solved any of the problems above. They also offered to change the door panels with some form the demo model but I did not have much confidence in their ability to do that!!

I am very happy with the car itself and have had fun doing over 1000 miles in the last week. It is very quick and comfortable and the stereo is not bad for a standard fit (how does it get that much bass without a sub?)
:)

Any one know of any good dealers a sensible distance from Edinburgh for when it is time for a service??

PS: Today on my way home I had hardly seen any Leons let alone Cupras then I had an Imperial Blue one go past and a yellow one (with a spoiler)
at the Hermiston Gait roundabout at the end of the M8, there was also a bronze one parked in the Almondvale centre in Livingston last week. :eek: anyone know if that was their car and what dealer did they come from? Are you happy enough? :confused:

------------------

[Message edited by sww on 07 October 2001.]

dave

May 21, 2001
Scotland
Visit site
I own a bronze leon cupra, but it wasn't me at livingston. i live in east kilbride and work all over the centre region, good chance we might cross paths.

i think the next nearest seat dealer to you would be falkirk, then glasgow, but fair distance to glasgow, falkirk not to bad.

i use arnold clark near paisley, seem alright so far, but they are having probs with fixing water leaking into car via front door.

dave

------------------

gra

We have a few Leons as company cars, and nobody so far has been overly impressed with Arnold Clark.

The garage in Falkirk I've heard is good, I use the one in Uddingston, just a short trip along the M8. They have always been very helpful to me, and a couple of guys at work had their cars serviced there instead of Sighthill.

If you see a black Leon parked beside the Police station in Livingston then it'll be mine. (watch for bagpuss on the dash). I couldn't stretch to a Cupra though :(

Meeko

Sep 22, 2001
Dunfermline, Scotland
Hey there, I use Arnold Clark Edinburgh myself and have had no probs so far. But I do know of a couple of other Seat dealers nearby, you could try Kirkcaldy or even Perth. Both seem fairly reasonable.

Meeko

------------------

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gra:
We have a few Leons as company cars,
If you see a black Leon parked beside the Police station in Livingston then it'll be mine. ( :( <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

undercover car ??? :p

may ia sk if you are currently employed in the force as it were , if so any tricks/cheats/rumour squashing ??? fire away :cool:

------------------
DAZ the AMETHYST parts manager

( [email protected] )

(refreshing the PARTS most other dealers cannot reach)

gra

No, nothing like that. It's one of the quieter car parks, and away from the supermarkets so there is less risk from trolley wars.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I also got my car (Yellow Ibiza Cupra)from Arnold Clark at Sighthill and was amazed at how poor their service was. Having previously had a new Impreza Turbo from Alex Nobles in Penicuik the difference was like night and day. Arnold Clark really mucked me around when buying the car, having waited for it to be delivered I then had to wait over a week because the ECU wasn't working. They couldn't find the fault and had to take it to a VW dealer who quickly diagnosed the fuel filter was faulty. Seems AC didn't have the latest diagnostic software to find the fault :confused: Anyway, after about 3 months the leather on my seat started to wear and they agreed to fix it under warranty which put them up again in my estimation. Unfortunatley, when I went to pick up the car the seat had been fixed with nice new leather, only to find the plastic runner cover had been broken and thrown in the back seat. I really dont trust them much, especially when they send you back and forward to the Nissan section next door. My 10K service is due this month, any other recommended dealer would be much appreciated.

------------------

sww

thanks for the replies everyone.

gra - I have been parking my car there sometimes too - i recently discovered it was quite quiet after trying pretty much all the other car parks. Not sure what I'll do when the Christmas crowds arrive...

I was back at Arnold Clark today and the sales manager got a more helpful person to redo the finish on the scratched interior and also do a better job removing the grubby fingerprints. I was happy with this effort but why it couldn't have been done the first time I went back (or before the car was handed over) I am not sure. :confused:

The initial damage seemed like pure carelessness which no one would like in their new car! The sales manager initially tried to fob me off with a story about how Seat parts are 'seconds' compared to VW and Audi parts! - this is why they are cheaper. I found this quite amusing but I am just glad to get it sorted out.

I got some sun today and was actually able to get a first coat of wax on the car so it is looking good - I had much fun. :cool:
(using Auto Glym at the moment - any recommendations for better wax stuff?)

The sales dude was asking when I bought the car if I wanted the 'service plan' ie; pay up front (£229) for 2 years or 36,000 miles servicing. Any one think this is a good idea? I was going to go for it but after recent events I am now just thinking about it.

Thanks again

Steven.

------------------

Meeko

Sep 22, 2001
Dunfermline, Scotland
Hey guys,

if any of you take your car to AC Seat Sighthill for a service or anything, let me know before you take it in.

I know one of the mechanics so I can get him to keep an eye on any motors that you take in. Hes actually a Nissan mechanic but he works on the Seats as well.

I may even be able to get him to do the service himself if he ain't too busy. He has already agreed to do the ones for my car when it goes in. :)

Meeko

[Message edited by Meeko on 11 October 2001.]

gordon

one plus point for ac sighthill is parts man dave, always helpful. top marks that man
beer.gif

------------------

sww

gra- yes!

meeko - thanks I will keep that in mind!

:D

------------------

Meeko

Sep 22, 2001
Dunfermline, Scotland
AC have just gone way up in my books. Paid the deposit for my Cupra on monday, the guy said delivery would be about 6-8 weeks (e.g. mid november). Got a phone call at work today...

Roger (AC) : "Hello Graeme, Roger here, you know how I said I'd have your car by mid November..."

Me : "Erm, yes..."

Roger (AC) : "Well, I won't"

Me : "You won't? So when am I likely to get it?"

Roger (AC) : "Well, you could come over just now and pick it up if you want, its sitting out the back"

Me : "Excellent!"

Only prob is, I have to wait on the bank loan coming through so won't get until the end of next week. :( I can't wait...

Meeko

Oh, Gordon, Gra or SWW - Any of you have an ovni yellow Cupra and drove past me at about 9:15 this morning just after Barnton roundabout (heading to the forth bridge)

------------------

gra

sww - I parked beside you twice and thought it was abandoned because it hasn't moved from the same spot!

Do you work in the centre?

sww

Gra - Yes, I work in the Sony Centre. I haven't seen your car yet, you must skive off earlier than me from whatever you do...

By the way, if anyone would like anything Sony (NOT Playstation stuff though), e-mail me and I will see what I can do.

Steven.
:cool:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Dave,

Nope, Ovni Yellow Ibiza wasn't me mate.

Meeko,

Might have been me, I travel that road every morning and night during the week, live in Edinburgh and work in Fife. Might take you up on your friend who is a mechanic at AC, comming up for 10K service at end of month. Let me know.

Cheers

Eddie

Starbank

Sep 22, 2005
Edinburgh
A wee update on Arnold Clark SEAT Edinburgh.

They have now moved to Seafield and joined the masses of car dealers along that main stretch - they've taken over the old Rover garage next to their own Peugeot one.

Bought my new Leon through them and found the sales team to be pretty helpful -no complaints really.

markoos

Simples!
Feb 1, 2004
Cumbernauld
Visit site
I use Livingstones in Uddingston too for my servicing-thats where I got the car too,cos its only a short hop for me from Cumbernauld and found them always helpful,and very decently priced too.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.