"Arty Farty" shots of my restored LCR

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
How do you do the multi-exposure shot on the ramps? I've only got a compact cam but I'm quite intruiged to see if I can do that with it?

Camera on the tripod, take 4 photos, merge them together using photoshop ;) You can do it with a compact but make sure you've got that tripod so that your camera stays completely still while you go, repark your car and take another shot

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Thanks for the comments guys! I thought these pics would go down well! lol

nice deep shine mate, you must be very proud.
Certainly am mate! Mainly because I spent roughly 2.5 hours per door restoring the paint, which works out at around 30 hours work for the whole car (spread over 3 weeks) all of which i did by hand!

Very nice photos, you just can't beat a DSLR. Also do love the tunel one, makes for a very nice sig photo
That's what I thought ;)

Camera on the tripod, take 4 photos, merge them together using photoshop ;) You can do it with a compact but make sure you've got that tripod so that your camera stays completely still while you go, repark your car and take another shot
Spot on! ;)

leon1p

XBL - dervturbo
Jun 30, 2006
Aberdeen
www.simplyrc.com
Polishing by hand is underrated.. The satisfaction from spending time and getting great comments from the results makes it worth the effort. I can see there being a surge of arty pics and polishing!

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
I agree mate, I absolutely loved finishing a panel, standing back and comparing it to an untouched faded panel alongside it. It was a hell of a lot of hard work, but it's the best paint restoration I've ever accomplished, so it just had to be shown off lol.

Thing is, it wasn't only polishing i did. The process i followed was:

1) Wash and dry
2) Clay bar
3) T-cut (original...couldn't find a yellow one lol)
4) Megs 3 stages i.e. Paint cleaner, Polish, Carnauba Wax
5) Poorboys Nattys Blue (Carnauba based wax with extra UV inhibitors to prevent paint fade in the future)

All of the above means going round a panel a total of 15 times before it was finished! Hence it taking 2.5 hours or so per door lol

Now i just need to keep applying layers of the Poorboys UV inhibiting wax every month or so to keep her looking top notch!

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
shame about having to use t-cut as that stuff is horrid because ti does not break down, but you did a fantastic job.

i need to get my red biza done as its not as red as it should be

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well done mate, very good job.
Your safe in the knowledge that as long as you look after the car you'll never have to do such a big job again
Roll on the easy polishing

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Roll on the easy polishing

Too rite m8! I had to give it a quick once over before those pics were taken, and it was the easiest clean and dry, i've ever done! That Poorboys wax certainly repels the water. I think i might take a shot showing the size of the beads of water...some are huge! The other good thing about the wax is that it makes drying so much easier as well. I use a Megs drying towel, and if that is too wet to absorb anymore water, it doesn't matter as it just pushes the water off the panel instead.

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Mines getting detailed next week so should have similar results!!
Just out of curiosity mate...are you doing it yourself? Or paying a professional...if you paying someone, how much they charging?

I've been asked to do a couple of cars since doing mine :doh:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
A decent professional with a rotary and finishing with a high spec wax will charge £400
Make sure when your drying your car you pat dry instead of wipe. IE lay towel on car, pat towel and lift off. This will not dry the car aswell but with a detailing finshing spray and a plush work towel it will look the dogs. The reason for doing this it wipe drying can/will cause swirls as there can still be bits of grit in the surface water. This will only add about 20mins to your wash/dry procedure but will almost eliminate that nasty swirls!!

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
Black and white version of the other tunnel shot...taken and edited by my m8 Jack.

5SplitToneBorder.jpg

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
good read that Stan...but for the amount that Paul charges to do what he does...it wants to be impressive!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members